IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Foxy lady

Tyrone

I'm not in So Cal, but I was wondering how the Veitchia X Wodyetia's survived the freezing weather. These species reports are a very interesting and useful read. Anyone have any Foxyladies that would like to give there experience?  

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

3' tall overall seedling took 28F that damaged a 15' king palm overhead in Thousand Oaks (brief exposure at that temp) with no visible damage.  Same night nearly killed nearby Wodyetias in 24" boxes.

I have a larger specimen, 12 foot tall that cruised through 27F no problems. At Rancho Soledad several large specimens in 20 gallon tubs were in the cold basin down to 24F and got some leaf browning. Most of the cold damage to these was to the yellow leaves on the variegated specimens.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I would not have guessed that these are hardier than Wodyetia bifurcata.  Anyone growing these in Northern Cal?  Maybe I should try replacing my fried Wodyetia with these.

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

ps  -- should we retitle this one Veitchia x Wodyetia?  Moderator can handle that?

Zone 10a

(Kathy @ Jan. 23 2007,22:45)

ps  -- should we retitle this one Veitchia x Wodyetia?  Moderator can handle that?

Agree.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I think before the moderator changes the title we need to make sure what we are talking about.

Wodyetia x Veitchia at least here in California is called FoxyLady - the female being the Wodyetia and the seed looking very much like a Wodyetia seed.That is the usual cross here in California which is cold hardier then either of the parents.

There is the cross Veitchia x Wodyetia (also known as FoxyLady) which is not as common and not quite as cold hardy (mine always looked sicklish here in Fallbrook)

I am quite sure that Rancho Soledad has Wodyetia x Veitchia.

OK now for some actual information regarding our cold event.

My Wodyetia x Veitchias only have very little damage.

Some slight spotting on the horizontal leaves but still as good as a Veitchia ever looks here in Fallbrook.

On the variegated leaves I am seeing shadelike spots but only within the yellow stripes.These were under 40% shadecloth.The one that is to tall to fit into any of my shadehouses is about 12-13 feet tall and does not look as good (shredded leaves)but mainly due to max. winds of 59mph just a week or so before the freeze.It has some cold spots but will be fine this summer.

Since the duration was so long the temperatures inside the shadehouses and outside were the same.

Below freezing for 8 hours with lows of 26f for 3 hours.

The following nights were not as bad by the "new standard" but still bad by the "previous standard"

Oh yes - no frost.

Speedy recovery to all,

George Sparkman

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

(George Sparkman @ Jan. 24 2007,09:42)

Wodyetia x Veitchia at least here in California is called FoxyLady - the female being the Wodyetia and the seed looking very much like a Wodyetia seed.That is the usual cross here in California which is cold hardier then either of the parents.

There is the cross Veitchia x Wodyetia (also known as FoxyLady) which is not as common and not quite as cold hardy (mine always looked sicklish here in Fallbrook)

Very interesting George.  I have learned something new today, as I did not realize there were two crosses.  Thank you!  I will look for Wodyetia x Veitchia!

Maybe we need two threads, one for each, if there are members here who've had experiences with both.

(And good to have your knowledge here George -- welcome!)

Zone 10a

• 1 year later...

x Wodveitchia (cross made in Florida, unknown Veitchia parent, presumed arecina). Green form. Very small plant, 8" but with character leaves, planted against SE-facing wall in somewhat sheltered area surrounded by vegetation. 8 freezes and frosts so far this fall/winter. Worst about 15 hours below freezing, low 24.1F, advective, no frost. Vireya rhododendrons, Tabernaemontana and Chamaedorea woodsoniana next to the plant were defoliated and possibly killed outright. It is a somewhat warmer spot, however, as Cham. cataractarum always survives low 20s unscathed right next to this plant, the only place on the property where this is the case. Also two 8-10 hour radiational (27-28F) freezes, also no frost, plant is untouched. Wow. Also note that this palm seems completely happy in a very cool winter environment, winter averages here are about the same as Santa Cruz, California (but of course much more schizophrenic and with some good freezes).

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Hit 32 2nd night in a row with heavy frost. Hard to tell the real damage because of varigation but looks good on the green areas of the leaves. In the ground for 4 years 8ft CT.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

• 2 weeks later...

have 3 1under foot and the others maybe a foot or 2 2nd nite in the mid 30's with light frost showing

some leaf burn not major its not the temp it is the frost!!!!!!

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.

• 1 month later...
have 3 1under foot and the others maybe a foot or 2 2nd nite in the mid 30's with light frost showing

some leaf burn not major its not the temp it is the frost!!!!!!

I agree! I have only had my foxy lady since Sept 08, (24” box planted in Sept about 4 feet of trunk) but it saw 35-36 F here in Vista Ca. That morning there was a thick layer of ice on my car's windsheild (all sides not just north) so we had some radiant heat loss. Also, it had rained for the last three days so there was a lot of moisture in the air. The old fronds showed zero cold damage, but the new frond that opened about two weeks later had cold spots. .

I think this palm is pretty tough though as both my Wodeytia palms looked torched, as did my R. borinquena. The large surface area of the leaflets will be a frost magnet, but hopefully I don’t have to deal with too much cold weather in the future… Go ask Al.

Carl

Vista, CA

• 4 years later...

Not sure if this is W x V or V x W, but this is a three year old plant, 25F, with many freezing and frost events, burned apx 25%, recovered quickly.

IMG_20131221_06351_edit_1387636563019_zp

IMG_20131221_06373_edit_1387636690652_zp

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Not sure if this is W x V or V x W, but this is a three year old plant, 25F, with many freezing and frost events, burned apx 25%, recovered quickly.

IMG_20131221_06351_edit_1387636563019_zp

IMG_20131221_06373_edit_1387636690652_zp

Looks like a regular foxtail to me

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)