IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Saraca indica (Ashoka Tree)

rozpalm

I got this tree last year at the TFTS sale at Fairchild. The tree was really beat up and extremely root bound in a 7g pot. After a little TLC it came screaming back and bloomed about 3 weeks ago. This tree is equally spectacular when it opens its new leaves that look like handkerchiefs hanging down. It seems to do it all at once so you have all these drooping light colored leaves all over the tree.

post-1490-090084000 1331256937_thumb.jpg post-1490-047847000 1331256811_thumb.jpg

post-1490-028151000 1331257611_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

I have one I am trying to nurse back from some neglect as well. Thanks for the encouragement. Whatever you are doing, it is loving it.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Mine started flowering last year, although only a few flowers... Hoping it might look like yours this year...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Eric,

They easily will take very low 30's, even 30 degrees for a short period, as we experienced a couple of winters ago. They might show some leaf burn in some cases. They seem hardier than my Brownea grandiceps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Eric, Cris in Lake Worth has a blooming Saraca indica that didn't suffer over the last two winters which were quite cold I believe. Not sure of the exact low temps he got, but it was very cold with several hard frosts.

San Fernando Valley, California

Definitely will try one here. It sounds like they handle some cold. Thanks for the info !!!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric, Cris in Lake Worth has a blooming Saraca indica that didn't suffer over the last two winters which were quite cold I believe. Not sure of the exact low temps he got, but it was very cold with several hard frosts.

Do you have any recent pictures of Cris' tree? His is many times the size of this one and has to be spectacular when in bloom.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Ron, he'll try to take a few pictures tonight-apparently it's in full bloom right now.

I too have a beautiful blooming specimen in my yard ( miami) and was wondering how to propagate it? any advise is appreciated. Like Eric in Orlando I would like to try my luck with it in mt dora, Z 9B.

I too have a beautiful blooming specimen in my yard ( miami) and was wondering how to propagate it? any advise is appreciated. Like Eric in Orlando I would like to try my luck with it in mt dora, Z 9B.

From seed

• 1 month later...

Here is my Saraca blooming in Central Fl. 1st round of blooms (the ones pictured poorly here) set a pod. Started blooming again, one bunch is at the very top of the plant near some of the newly emerging purple leaves. Will try to get a pic showing both tommorrow. It is pretty cool.

post-1216-074300800 1335146907_thumb.jpg

Edited by popper1

david

• 1 month later...

Peter:

My friend has had a Saraca indica growing in Fallbrook for a number of years (in the ground). It was flushing new pink, red growth. I was so surprised it could grow in California.

Edited by Palms1984

Wow-that's very interesting Andy! Is this the same guy with the Cassia bakerianas?

Peter:

My friend has had a Saraca indica growing in Fallbrook for a number of years (in the ground). It was flushing new pink, red growth. I was so surprised it could grow in California.

Has it ever flowered? Early spring bloomers that are borderline never seem to bloom in SoCal due to lack of early season heat. Although some after many, many years in the ground can - like Delonix regia.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Peter:

Has it ever flowered? Early spring bloomers that are borderline never seem to bloom in SoCal due to lack of early season heat. Although some after many, many years in the ground can - like Delonix regia.

I'm not sure. I'll have to ask my friend. I took some photos of the new bronze, red leaves emerging, though. It's worth growing for the gorgeous new leaves even if it didn't bloom.

• 2 years later...

I'm trying two in my garden. They're still in their pots for now but one has a new leaf flush. What neat plants they are, Are these well suited to partial shade?

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Seeds are the easiest way but air layering/ marcotting is also possible

The three types we have in the Arboretum have been blooming very well for years. They will take full sun and bloom better there but leaves yellow up a bit. We have never gotten any seed pods, which are scimitar shaped and a cool indescribable color of reddish purple.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I have seen both Saraca indica and S. thaipingensis here in South Florida. Both should be planted way more often,

S. thaipingensis:

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

• Like 1

Joe Monkey

Fort Lauderdale, FL

zone 10B+

I was at The Kampong in Maimi in Jan. and their Saraca was in full bloom and spectacular. I also saw a nice mature tree at Busch Gardens in Tampa. This was in early Feb. and it was just starting to flower. That was encouraging to see it there. I just planted a young one here at Leu Gardens a couple weeks ago.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

There are many trees used in landscaping in Costa Rica that looks a lot like Saraca.

The Brownea, also known as "Rosa del Monte" (Rose of the forest) They have the same flowers and also the drooping bunches of new leaves.

• 4 years later...

I have a 15 feet tree was doing great for a while but leaves are yellowing up a bit now. Any suggestions? I have done Canadian peat moss to the soil and a few different fertilizers but still yellowing up.

sarca.jpg

Edited by car

I got one of the hybrid ones from Floribunda, anyone have these?

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 1 year later...

Not been on this website for a while now.

just curious as to the cold hardiness of the Saraca indica/ Asoka tree. 
I would love to try one back home. They look fantastic over here in Hà Nội.

thanks in advance, Andy. 

• Like 1

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

• 4 months later...
On 3/9/2021 at 10:14 AM, AJQ said:

Not been on this website for a while now.

just curious as to the cold hardiness of the Saraca indica/ Asoka tree. 
I would love to try one back home. They look fantastic over here in Hà Nội.

thanks in advance, Andy. 

I have a very vigorously growing one here in the SF Bay Area (zone 10a). It’s been in the ground about eight years and has endured our long cool winters very well. No flowers yet but new growth is so pretty I do t care if it blooms or not. 

• Like 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

• 5 months later...