IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix reclinata x roebelenii

iwan

~3 year old seedling in 2g citrus pot in shade house.

Slight dark splotches during the December 2006 on fronds partially exposed under shade cloth.  Spots disappeared after a few days.  Temp measured under shade cloth 24F.  Three days in mid-20's.

Jan 2007, low @18" two feet away was 15.8F.  Multiple days with upper teens.  Initially unprotected, except for shade cloth for several days.  After reading mid-teens, I threw a light blanket over it.  Minor dark splotches, same as Dec. 2006 freeze.  No serious damage so far.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

• 1 month later...

As the high temps started reaching the 70's I started to see a small bit of tip burn starting a couple weeks ago.  Today I noticed that the newest, partially opened spear was drying out.  It pulled out easily.  Hit it with hydrogen peroxide today and will drench it with fungicide tomorrow.  Don't know if it will pull through.  All the other foliage looks great aside from a little bit of tip burn on a few fronds.

I was amazed that it looked almost perfect considering the temps it experienced and surprised that the spear pulled when the rest of the plant looks healthy.

Robert

9A

• 10 months later...

5 plants, from 4' to 9' OA height

22f, multiple hours and nights below freezing

No damage

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

• 3 months later...

Hi

Where can you buy the Phoenix reclinata x roebelenii seedlings from/

Gary

Hi

Where can you buy the Phoenix reclinata x roebelenii seedlings from/

Gary

Gary, I have hundreds of them I germinated last year from seeds I got off my own palm. The father was reclinata and the mother was roebelenii. They are probably on their fifth or sixth strap leaves now. Ask me in a couple of months after I get moved and settled in and if there is no problem shipping from Florida, USA to where you are, I'm sure we can work something out. I don't have phyto certificates or anything like that though.

I'm surprised to see the hardiness info posted, since I thought both parents were a little more sensitive than that. Good news though.

-Brian

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

• 5 years later...

I was given one of these palms, and am wanting to put it in the ground, but first, I thought I'd do a little research to find out a bit more about it.

A lot of photos online show it as a multi-trunked palm, which, considering its parents, makes sense.

But on the Northern California palm society site, it is labeled as solitary...

http://www.palmsnc.org/pages/palm_detail.php?id=178

Is it one of those palms that sometimes it's solitary and sometimes it suckers?

• 3 years later...

Mine is surprisingly much hardier than Phoenix reclinata.  Severely defoliated, winter 2013/14.  Low 19.8F with over 250 combined hours of hard (28F or lower) freeze temperatures that winter.  Phoenix reclinata (Gary Woods source), under frost cloth was mostly defoliated for reference.  583b77bc33c30_DSCN0349(Custom).thumb.jpg583b77bdeb88e_DSCN0341(Custom).thumb.jpg

Recovered nicely now.  The nearby (to the left) reclinata burns every winter, even under frost cloth and will be moved to a less prominent place in my garden.  Both were about the same size when planted. 

583b78be4ea0b_DSCN2078(Custom).thumb.jpg583b78c00ab14_DSCN2084(Custom).thumb.jpg583b78c1b3a00_DSCN2109(Custom).thumb.jpg

Will, my hybrid produced one offset early on, but it is growing slowly and there have been no further offsets.

Robert

9A

Interesting Konstantinos,

All I know is that this was an intentional hybrid.  The mother of this palm is http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/2008-a-few-nor-cal-meeting-pics/&do=findComment&comment=357620

Given the promiscuous nature of Phoenix, who knows what the genetics are of the mother. 

Here is Jim in Los Altos' palm from the same cross.  It looks more graceful than mine.  http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/laspalmasdesign/P7050650.jpg

Robert

9A

Jim's hybrid is perhaps identical to a similar one of my own, long, linear leaflets and more or less flat leaveslike those of rupicola. But the reclinata specimen of Silvia looks quite distinct from my own specimen (picture below). Anyway, if you want to check yourself the look of a reclinata x dactylifera hybrid, you can always visit the page of EPS (european palm society), which right now has an offer on  seeds from this cross (f1).

IMG_20161010_184846.thumb.jpg.6b439d7e29

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my reclinata x roebelenii hybrid. Unfortunately I have only one this big and therofore I do not know whether its look is unique/rare or rather common for this kind of hybrid.

IMG_20161207_170133.jpg

IMG_20161207_170056.jpg

• Upvote 1