IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Pritchardia collection grows

MattyB

A long time palm enthusiast friend called me up and asked if I wanted to dig up one of his Pritchardia martii. Heck yeah! :drool: He has quite an extensive Pritchardia collection and in his collecting efforts has ended up with duplicates. Pritchardia martii is one of my favorite palms, and even though I have a small one, I know how variable they are and so it just seems you can't have too many P. martii! My next quest will be to get a seedling off of the form of P. martii that's growing at Ventura College. Anyway, here's the pics of the recent transplated palm. We cut off all of the lower fronds for easier handling. Enjoy!

post-126-071991500 1330965561_thumb.jpg

post-126-016870800 1330965567_thumb.jpg

post-126-082657900 1330965574_thumb.jpg

post-126-047739100 1330965579_thumb.jpg

post-126-088114300 1330965583_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

:drool: awesome!!!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Wow! Look at that silver--Awesome, Matty :) Mine seems to be growing pretty fast--is martii one of the faster species? It seems to be much much faster than my remota. I hope it doesn't shock too bad for you.

Very cool Matt, thanks for sharing. On the fourth pic the under leaf seemed to change to a tan color. Is it the same palm?

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

No flash on that pic. It's not tan or bronze like some P. martii can be, it's more silver, but the orangey sunset light at the end of the day made it look tan in that pic.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Wow, lucky. What a beautiful martii and big too. The white undersides of the leaf are spectacular. Hope it acclimates well and you don't lose any of those leaves.

What is the Pritchardia in the photo on the far right next to the new transplant? It's doing great.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

The Pritchardia that is just behind and to the left of the new transplant, is Pritchardia forbesiana. At least that's what it was labled. It sure is doing good. I had to cut off 7 green leaves just to get in there and work.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I had to cut off 7 green leaves just to get in there and work.

:lol:

As they say on PT, nice score...

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

odd choice of a quote to quote Wal, but I'll take it! :greenthumb:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

You mean you did cut off 7 green palm leaves ? :blink:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Matt- That's a great looking palm...How cold tolerant is the P.martii? My P.pacifica bit the dust from the cold after being in the ground 5-6 years and had 6 feet of wood.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Matt- That's a great looking palm...How cold tolerant is the P.martii? My P.pacifica bit the dust from the cold after being in the ground 5-6 years and had 6 feet of wood.

I don't know how cold hardy it is, but it's way hardier than pacifica.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

You mean you did cut off 7 green palm leaves ? :blink:

Yes

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Yeah it is, and keep in mind that the new P. martii is about 7' tall, so that large Pritchardia on the left is at least 12' tall and you can easily walk under it now. I pruned off all of the lower leaves so we could walk under it.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I know this species is highly variable, but does anyone know if the white undersides is a trait that shows up in seedlings (like in a Ceroxylon)or is it something where you just have to wait and hope yours develops it as it matures?

Matt - Does your smaller one show the white undersides?

Yeah they show the white from very early on. I have a one leaf seedling of P. martii that is all green, but it'll start to show flecking in the next leaf or two

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

DW? :blink: If so, I have a pic of that palm for you... :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Well Done Matty another Pritchardia for the collection .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

DW? :blink: If so, I have a pic of that palm for you... :D

A little late Bill, since I was over there last weekend digging it up. :lol:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Yeah it is, and keep in mind that the new P. martii is about 7' tall, so that large Pritchardia on the left is at least 12' tall and you can easily walk under it now. I pruned off all of the lower leaves so we could walk under it.

The Pritchardia on the left... is that a Beccariana? It sure looks like its gonnna be massive. How does it handle the winter in Southern Ca?

Grant
Long Beach, CA

Hey GB, welcome! That large Pritchardia on the left was indeed labled P. beccariana, but there seems to be a few different palms labled that so I don't have P. beccariana nailed down yet in my identification skills so it might be something else. That said, this particular palm does great in our SoCal winters, down to low 30's, full all day sun, dry air, all of it. I do have another P. beccariana that doesn't seem to be so tough though. I know, Pritchardia is so confusing!!! :lol:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

• 3 months later...

Matty - great thread ... :greenthumb:

In my first palm book the Pritchardia pacifica and thurstonii caught my eye. :wub: Headed to a South Florida Palm Society Sale at Fairchild, I learned they were banned from being sold at the garden at that time. Some "policy" to prevent the spreading of Lethal Yellowing disease. <_<

Didn't get around to planting any until 2006.

post-1729-0-66598700-1341285503_thumb.jp

Pritchardia hillebrandii

post-1729-0-16495400-1341285702_thumb.jp

Pritchardia pacifica

post-1729-0-00939300-1341286142_thumb.jp

Pritchardia remota

post-1729-0-96329800-1341286303_thumb.jp

Pritchardia sp.

post-1729-0-20459200-1341286480_thumb.jp

Pritchardia thurstonii

• Upvote 2

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I'm obsessed with Pritchardia. I could probably spend a week at O`ahu's botanical gardens looking at all the different species, especially at Wahiawa Botanical Garden, where they are mature and very visible. The only species that's proven itself here in San Francisco is P. minor, from higher altitudes of Koke`e State Park on Kaua`i. Others I think will tolerate our cool summers include P. arecina, P. beccariana, and P. lanigera. We've successfully grown P. hillebrandii and P. remota in containers at our nursery, but I only recommend them to experienced gardeners willing to throw the dice.

Pritchardia arecina at Lyon Arboretum:

post-1532-0-65950800-1341360706_thumb.jp

Pritchardia minor-ish at Lyon:

post-1532-0-06647100-1341361053_thumb.jp

Pritchardia minor in a friend's garden in San Francisco:

post-1532-0-05205700-1341361923_thumb.jp

• Upvote 4

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

• 4 years later...
On 3/5/2012, 8:44:27, MattyB said:

A long time palm enthusiast friend called me up and asked if I wanted to dig up one of his Pritchardia martii. Heck yeah! :drool: He has quite an extensive Pritchardia collection and in his collecting efforts has ended up with duplicates. Pritchardia martii is one of my favorite palms, and even though I have a small one, I know how variable they are and so it just seems you can't have too many P. martii! My next quest will be to get a seedling off of the form of P. martii that's growing at Ventura College. Anyway, here's the pics of the recent transplated palm. We cut off all of the lower fronds for easier handling. Enjoy!

post-126-071991500 1330965561_thumb.jpg

post-126-016870800 1330965567_thumb.jpg

post-126-082657900 1330965574_thumb.jpg

post-126-047739100 1330965579_thumb.jpg

post-126-088114300 1330965583_thumb.jpg

Matty, any update? Trying to decide on planting either a Martii or Beccariana. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt in OC said:

Trying to decide on planting either a Martii or Beccariana

Matt I would think one consideration will be size since P martii won't get as big as P beccariana in the long haul as I recall from the ones I have seen.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Matt, 

My experience is that becarriana is fast, & has the big round, flat leaves that are similar to P, pacifica. If it has a downside, it's that it has none of the nice silver, tan or gold coloration on the bottoms of the leaves. The martii is a moderate grower (requiring more water than beccariana for brisk growth), but has those unique leaves & the great coloration underneath. Being an indecisive man, I planted both..

Bret

• Upvote 4

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

• 2 months later...
On 7/2/2017, 9:34:50, quaman58 said:

Matt, 

My experience is that becarriana is fast, & has the big round, flat leaves that are similar to P, pacifica. If it has a downside, it's that it has none of the nice silver, tan or gold coloration on the bottoms of the leaves. The martii is a moderate grower (requiring more water than beccariana for brisk growth), but has those unique leaves & the great coloration underneath. Being an indecisive man, I planted both..

Bret

Since Bret was talking about his Pritchardia fascination, and Tim recommended a Pritchardia string, this old string started by Matt seemed like it was worthy to bump up.  I didn't have room for a lot of large fan palms, so I've kept my selections limited.  One of the first I grew was a Pritchardia affinis (which is now maideniana) followed by a Pritchardia hillebrandii in my Carlsbad garden.

20170903-104A7445.jpg

20170903-104A7463.jpg

20170903-104A7462.jpg

• Upvote 4

Great pictures Tracy. Your maideniana has the exact look of the ones in habitat, as shown in Hodel's book. It makes me question the id on mine. How old is your hillibrandii?

Bret

1 hour ago, quaman58 said:

How old is your hillibrandii?

I think I planted the P hillebrandii from a 7 gallon in late 2008 or 2009.  It was labeled as a "dwarf" P hillebrandii, but I don't know what that will mean in the long run.

I have "Hildebrantii Blue Dwarf", Remota,  Arecina, Schauterii, and Martii. Hard to tell from the picture, but the Hildebrantii's leaves and been turning a lighter green and are more glaucous the last couple of years. I doubt it will ever turn blue, but I will keep hoping. Here are pictures of the Hildebrantii, Remota, and Arecina"

Hildebrantii2.thumb.jpg.5f888916d1d5a019

Remota.thumb.jpg.1bb96569ebc7fb5a161e697

Arecina.thumb.jpg.3cd7c3ffeb69531f09d878

• Upvote 1

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

3 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Your maideniana has the exact look of the ones in habitat, as shown in Hodel's book.

I planted another Pritchardia hillebrandii in Leucadia, but it reminds me of what my Pritchardia maideniana looked like at this size and age.  I guess I'll just have to wait and see.  What are your thoughts on this one?

20170902-104A7425.jpg

6 minutes ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

I have "Hildebrantii Blue Dwarf"

Looking at the photo of yours, which is beautiful by the way, I guess I'm still not getting the "dwarf" part.  They look like a medium size Pritchardia, and no different than hillebrandii in size than ones without the "dwarf" label I saw in collections on Oahu.

So the "gem" of my collection of Pritchardia's is my smallest right now.  It is a Pritchardia flynnii, with great color on the underside of the leaf.

20170902-104A7424.jpg

20170902-104A7423.jpg

20170902-104A7422.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tracy said:

Looking at the photo of yours, which is beautiful by the way, I guess I'm still not getting the "dwarf" part.  They look like a medium size Pritchardia, and no different than hillebrandii in size than ones without the "dwarf" label I saw in collections on Oahu.

So the "gem" of my collection of Pritchardia's is my smallest right now.  It is a Pritchardia flynnii, with great color on the underside of the leaf.

20170902-104A7424.jpg

20170902-104A7423.jpg

20170902-104A7422.jpg

That Fynnii has a cool speckling. The underleaf should be gorgeous when it gets larger. Nice plant!

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

I planted another Pritchardia hillebrandii in Leucadia, but it reminds me of what my Pritchardia maideniana looked like at this size and age.  I guess I'll just have to wait and see.  What are your thoughts on this one?

20170902-104A7425.jpg

That also looks like the real deal. All the ones I've seen have a wedge shaped leaf with a very "pleated" look to them. And the way the older leaves are held on the petioles (bent downwards) give it a distinctive look. Mine has been overtaken & is now largely in shade, which may have something to do with it's appearance. On a different note, that flynii is awesome looking; hope I have the real deal as well.

Bret

• 5 months later...

Any chance for an update? This is a genus Ive become obsessed with since moving to its homeland!

• Upvote 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

On 7/2/2017, 7:38:39, Matt in OC said:

Matty, any update? Trying to decide on planting either a Martii or Beccariana. Thanks!

Martii! Much prettier, and smaller, unless you want something big. In which case, compromise and plant both.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.