IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

And the show ain't over yet...

tropicalb

The saddest part about all of this cold is the fact that it's STILL not over...it froze here in San Marcos last night (ice all over the tops of the cars and frost on all the roofs and lawns in my area, due to the fact that we actually had some moisture overhead available to freeze), it's going to freeze AGAIN tonight and probably tomorrow night as well....

Ice on top of the coldframes and frost all over at the Dad place in Vista this morning, taking a toll on palms and other plants that had shown little or no damage at all over the last six nights.

At this point...i'll be surprised if I have anything over there left alive in 10 more days or so...

Saints be praised!

4:30AM Friday morning and it's a balmy 46F outside in San Marcos for the first time in a week....

finally some relief!!!!

(tropicalb @ Jan. 18 2007,22:02)

The saddest part about all of this cold is the fact that it's STILL not over...it froze here in San Marcos last night (ice all over the tops of the cars and frost on all the roofs and lawns in my area, due to the fact that we actually had some moisture overhead available to freeze), it's going to freeze AGAIN tonight and probably tomorrow night as well....

Ice on top of the coldframes and frost all over at the Dad place in Vista this morning, taking a toll on palms and other plants that had shown little or no damage at all over the last six nights.

At this point...i'll be surprised if I have anything over there left alive in 10 more days or so...

What??  You've had more freezing temps?  That's awful!  And sure doesn't sound like CA.

I don't see how any palm could survive being repeatedly frozen like that - even trachies would simply get worn out by it.

I saw your 2nd post that it wasn't so bad, but let's hope that more cold isn't on the way.  Just can't believe how long the cold "event" lasted :(

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I don't see how any palm could survive being repeatedly frozen like that - even trachies would simply get worn out by it

Sunny,

from what I understand, Trachies are designed to take constant temps in the 20's & 30'sf during the winter

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

My Trachy has seen temps in the teens.  From what I've heard they'll take temps in the single digits, and sometimes even lower.  Our average low for January is 30F here in Atlanta.  So extended periods of nights in the 20's and 30's is quite common.  My tree has been completely encased in ice on at least two occasions I can remember.  They are tough trees for palms.  Sabals Palmetto can probably handle that as well.  I've seen pretty big Sabals in people's yards here too on occasion.  They are a little more tender to the cold, but can handle extended times in the 30's and 20's no problem.

My guess for Cali is that most the healthy cold hardy palms should be alright such as Washy's, Trachy's, Sabal's, and even CIDP, etc.  It's the zone stretching stuff like Kings, and Royals that will really suffer.

Has anyone seen if the Newport Beach Coconut is OK so far???

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Hey Steve...

how are you guys doing in Atlanta? It's not horrible here today - around 40f, dropping to around 30f tonight, but tomorrow the wind is gonna pick up due the conflicting air-masses and gusts are gonna be to around 60mph.. making wind chills feel like 10f...  what a nightmare.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

(Steve @ Jan. 19 2007,06:13)

My guess for Cali is that most the healthy cold hardy palms should be alright such as Washy's, Trachy's, Sabal's, and even CIDP, etc.

I don't know about that.  These guys aren't going to die, but they are going to need a hurricane cut in spring.  Zone 9b.  Seventeen out of the last nineteen days below freezing for 12+ hours a day, lows probably 18-22F.

photo27.jpg

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

(tropicalb @ Jan. 19 2007,07:27)

Saints be praised!

4:30AM Friday morning and it's a balmy 46F outside in San Marcos for the first time in a week....

finally some relief!!!!

Don't come out of your fur lined underlovelies yet...NWS is calling for 24 tonight..

.TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY IN THE EVENING...BECOMING MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS 24 TO 34. LIGHT WINDS.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

I'm very surprised to see those washies so brown... I have one that I left outside here last year and it didn't look like that and we got down to 15f in my yard... Maybe it's because I had it up against a south-facing wall of my house

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Dropped to 41 here last night. Still below normal.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Dropped to 41 here last night. Still below normal.

yeah, but that's not gonna kill anything.. probably better than to warm up too fast.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Over at Dad's house this morning at 6:30am and it was 40F...

Took a walk around and there was no frost to be seen anywhere, so the plants got a break last night.

Steve...

Forecasts for last night here in San Marcos were for 30, until they upgraded them to 35 around 5pm yesterday evening...i was surprised to see it got no lower than 42 outside last nite.

You don't have to beat me into learnin my lesson...I'm covering my sensitive plants again tonight.... :angry:

No real relief til next Thursday, six days from now...

.TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY EVENING WITH A CHANCE OF SPRINKLES... BECOMING MOSTLY CLEAR AFTER MIDNIGHT. COLDER. LOWS 24 TO 34. LIGHT WINDS. .SATURDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS 60 TO 65 IN THE WESTERN VALLEYS TO 56 TO 61 NEAR THE FOOTHILLS. LIGHT WINDS. .SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS 30 TO 40. LIGHT WINDS. .SUNDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS 61 TO 66. WINDS NORTHEAST 15 TO 20 MPH  WITH GUSTS TO 35 MPH. .SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS 30 TO 40. WINDS NORTHEAST 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 35 MPH BECOMING EAST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 50 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT. .MONDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. WINDY. HIGHS 65 TO 70 IN THE WESTERN VALLEYS TO 57 TO 62 NEAR THE FOOTHILLS. .MONDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. BREEZY. LOWS 29 TO 39. .TUESDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS 68 TO 73 IN THE WESTERN VALLEYS TO 65 TO 70 NEAR THE FOOTHILLS. .TUESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS 29 TO 39. .WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS 69 TO 74 IN THE WESTERN VALLEYS TO 66 TO 71 NEAR THE FOOTHILLS. .WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS 32 TO 42. .THURSDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS 69 TO 74. .THURSDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS 35 TO 45. .FRIDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS 68 TO 73 IN THE WESTERN VALLEYS TO 64 TO 69 NEAR THE FOOTHILLS.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Here's my low readings 9 miles directly inland from Downtown San Diego.  Elevation 430 feet.

Sat 1/13:  33F

Sun 1/14:  28.6F

Mon 1/15:  24.1F

Tue 1/16:  27.9F

Wed 1/17:  32.4F

Thurs 1/18:  33.1F

Friday 1/19:  34.3F

uuuuuuuugggggg, it's probably gonna be colder again tonight.  I'm expecting about 30F.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Hang in there guys. I'm reading all your horror stories and they're just painful. What's this with washies getting burnt? Aren't they native to cali. Here in West Oz washies are grown way inland on old farms where it gets below freezing often over winter, and they never look like that. This is not normal Californian weather surely. Maybe a once in 30, 40, 50yr event???

This weather will undoubtedly change what you guys plant and how you arrange your gardens in future.

All trials no matter how bad must come to an end eventually. You will get good weather again.

I'm glad the temps in my part of the world are totally moderated by the warm Indian Ocean though. Our winter just gone did have record cold with some places south of Perth going well below freezing, but they were mere spikes that didn't last long and the days bounced back to around 20C, unlike the sustained cold Cal has endured.

May you all have many warm days in future.

best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.