IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Which cell phone model do you have?

Z4Devil

Currently I have 2:

1. Samsung GT-N7000 (Galaxy Note)

2. Samsung GT-B7620 (Giorgio Armani)

Would be happy to know yours. :)

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

Iphone There are others? :blink:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

A tin can with a string

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I dont have a phone in my cell but the guards have one in the watchtower.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Samsung GT-I9100 (Galaxy S II). (Used to have an i-phone, but this thing leaves it in the dust.)

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

iPhone 4. Best phone I've ever owned and if you don't believe me just ask it.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

So do I, Ante - I am an android fan, too. B)

Did not know that there is a following on twitter but I was asking for a PT-App for Android / IOS / windows phone in the PT adminstration section. ;)

Best regards, Verena

I have a Nokia E63; the battery life is terrific. I'm thinking of getting a new Lumia but I'm very clumsy with a touchscreen keyboard.

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

So do I, Ante - I am an android fan, too. B)

Did not know that there is a following on twitter but I was asking for a PT-App for Android / IOS / windows phone in the PT adminstration section. ;)

Best regards, Verena

The IPS has a Twitter account. But I don't know if anyone uses it.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

A tin can with a string

Bill - LOL :lol: That more high tech than my Weber Dome Grill and the sending of smoke signals ... :P

:innocent: It's probably an empty Diet Dr. Pepper Can or have you made the switch to Dr. Pepper 10? :o

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Iphone 4s on sprint.

The phone is OK but sprint sucks in my area (this problem has been made worse by the phone's poor performance on sprints network, although they have been slowly working it out). May need to jump the apple ship on the next phone.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Galaxy S II... Love the phone. Wished aftermarket was stronger like a nested battery pack.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

The IPS has a Twitter account. But I don't know if anyone uses it.

Hi, Dean -

aaaah, thanks, did not know that. Well, I am not a fan of twitter. Life takes places outside the web and I don´t like the idea to share any single private details or spirits of it to the world. For a short comment we have the shoutbox at PT, so ... who needs twitter? ;)

@ all: thank you for response - really interesting. :)

LG piece of crap, but it works..sort of

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

remember the brick?

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

HTC EVO 4G

Still works, still awesome.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

;Motorola Screen EX 128 Dual Chip. Since cell phone rates are sort of pricy here in Brazil I use the prepaid phone service and have actually three networks SIM cards. I use regulary 2 of them I migrated to a dual chip phone. Actually it is a nice touch screen phone. They are now making 3 chip phones for the Brazilian market. When you call numbers from a different network than the one you are using the rates are about 4 times as high as calls within the same network.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I just bought one of these newfangled devices...I don't know if they will take off though...why would you need to talk on the phone when you are away from the office or home???

post-42-072339800 1329896669_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

My first one wasn't quite as big as that, my current phone is a Nokia....stuffed if I know the model, I have had it for over 4 years, is quite tough and needs to be with me handling it.....it still works ok, when it dies I will cry.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

LG piece of crap, but it works..sort of

Wal , Low Grade = LG

Mine is a Samsung , Telstra giveaway .. had it for 5 years now am amazed its lasted as I have seen same model chucked in the 'mobile muster ' bins for recycling :rolleyes:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I've had an iPhone for a almost two years and I like it. It was my first smart phone so I don't have anything to compare it to. I finally got Craig to upgrade a few days ago. I was tempted to take his new iPhone and give him mine, but I didn't. The only improvement I would like would be the camera. Since getting my iPhone, I hardly ever carry my camera anymore. A little better photo quality would be nice. Maybe I'll get that when the iPhone 5 comes out.

• 2 years later...

No Samsung phone will have a chance anymore. For about 9 months I have the Sony Xperia Z Ultra (biggest smartphone in the world) and I am more than satisfied. Great device.

Besides the ZU I use the Sony Xperia Z2 Tab, perfect Duo. a025.gif

iPhone 5s. Absolutely love it.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

When I retire and move to Puerto Rico I plan to get a smartphone. Until then I have a Virgin mobile pay as you go phone (and an ipad mini that was a gift from work).

Cindy Adair

LG something or another from Wal-Mart. It works. T-Mobile, unfortunately does not.

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

My string broke a year ago so I got a Samsung galaxy S2.. Got the Samsung Note3 for my work phone and really like that.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I own samsung galaxy grand 1 for about 1 year now. I like it and heard its easily serviceable and the spares are very cheap.

I will not buy apple products since I had bad experience with the service they provide here.

In my opinion all modern smartphones work well irrespective wheather cosyly or cheap.

I believe that one should buy the midrange models use it well and when fails go for new phones every 3 years.

Since the level of radition goes down in all new models...so changing mob.phones are a must.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

My string broke a year ago so I got a Samsung galaxy S2.. Got the Samsung Note3 for my work phone and really like that.

Note 3 is bigger than your head. Might as well use a laptop as a flip phone :) .

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I have a Samsung flip phone, I think. The reason I am not certain is because the "flip" part, the part with the screen and company name, broke off and now I just have the keypad half. It still works. Sort of.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Switched out last year. Have a LG optimus G, has worked absolutely wonderfully with no hiccups and fast as all get out. However, when my 2 years on this one is up I am definitely getting as big a phablet as I can. Probably a Samsung, we'll see what's available when my time is up.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Note 3 is bigger than your head. Might as well use a laptop as a flip phone :) .

Thats exactly the idea...my vision ain't what it used to be, so bigger is better... plus with a little foam it makes a nice pillow. ;)

I had been looking at getting the Sony Z2 but they have been horrible about releasing it in the US (currently only available through TMobile and I have no plans to switch) Instead I got the Samsung Galaxy S5 about a month ago. Its a great phone and I keep finding new things to play around with on a daily basis.

I'm still using iPhone 4s, not the latest and greatest by a long shot any more, but works great and does everything I need and more. I hope to make it last another 2 years until I'm done with school. Besides, with the new plans out, it's nice paying a reduced monthy fee since I'm not paying what amounts to installments on a new phone.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Bigger than Bill´s head? The left on the photo (mine) ... THIS is big. a076.gifa114.gif And was one of the main reasons to say good bye to Samsung. Neither I like their GUI and senseless bloatware nor the support in general.

zusgn3-1024x648.jpg

Well, the different models of the smartphone manufacturers mutate to a kind of religion for some people. In my humble opinion there is a smartphone for everyone, but there is NO best one. And that´s a good thing.

Cheers

Verena

I have a Galaxy SIII and I hate it. My wife has a Galaxy SII and she hates it. They're horrible phones. Here are the negative bullet points

Samsung are bloated with both Samsung crappy software and the provider's junk. This really slows down the phone and impacts power consumption

The WiFi reception on all the Samsung phones are horrible, but given that all providers now have metered data transfer, having good Wifi is imperative.

Battery life is horrendous, both our phones are out of power by the early afternoon

We also furnished one of our vacation rentals with a Samsung smart TV device. Same problem, super poor WiFi receoption on the device. I will not buy another Samsung product.

My next phone will be the Motorola Moto X unlocked phone so I don't have to deal with any bloatware.

These large screen smartphones drain so much battery that I've gone back to my Nokia E63 that lasts 3 days with moderate web browsing. It's a really hardy handset -- been drenched in rain thrice with no problems and fallen into a sand pit with no worse for wear.

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

I figure if I want a big screen I just grab the iPad, I don't really like the enormous phone idea.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

iPhone 5.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f