IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus romanzoffiana

iwan

Burning/spotting/yellowing up to 20-40%  on trees in ground 15g to 20' size.  Similar damage to 15g potted trees with blanket around trunk.  Still working on the temp numbers, but 16 out of 18 days below freezing.  Most days 12+ hours below freezing, rebounding to mid-40's.  Official lows in Madera and Fresno in low 20's.  Some frost every day, but nowhere near as heavy as normal 28-32F freezes.  No overhead canopy.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

26.5F low. No damage or stress to any of my eleven queens ranging in size from 3' to 40' tall.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

photo11.jpg

Spotting (in 15g nursery pot).  40% damage.

photo12.jpg

Fronds overhanging roof severly burned.  In ground, 6' to growth point, 15' tall.  Just trunking, 20% damage.

photo16.jpg

Planted last year (from 15g).  Fronds tied up and mostly damaged.  

photo21.jpg

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

24F low here, no frost, multiple nights below 28F, no damage to any individuals from 6 foot to 20foot in size.  No damage to any of the 70+ individuals on the street.

Driving around town, where lows were in the 23-24F range (maybe as low as 22F in some microclimates), no damage to healthy individuals of all sizes (healthy looking before freeze),  only damage to those that looked sickly before freeze (were already low on nutrients and very yellow/frizzled/few fronds).

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

• 1 month later...

Texas Zone 8b. Damage Ranged from 70% burn to 20% for the largest that are 25 feet tall and flowering. There does seem to be some variability in the palms that I have. And overhanging leaves near house were the only leaves on the biggest ones damaged.

Feb 13: 56/37

Feb 14: 40/33

Feb 15: 41/29

Feb 16: 50/21 ( airport) (My house 23.4)

Feb 17: 64/32

Feb 18: 62/28

Feb 19: 72/40

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Cant really say too much about Queens except they seem fine down in Southern Europe.

My own specimen is getting on for 20` but was already tall when I planted it early last September so I shall be applying high nitrate and seeing what it will be like in 12 months.

I am optimistic but then I always am.

Now for a good laugh: I unearthed an RHS book published in 1993 which stated that Queens required a minimum temp  . . . . wait for it . . . . of 18C!

I know guys, I too fell about laughing.

Seriously we do have several palm guys at RBG Kew (including of course JD but others as well).

Why were they not consulted?

Regardez

Juan

Juan

The damage to the queens has been slow in showing it's ugly face. We had lows of 12F at the worst but many nights sub freezing. They get browner and browner as the day have gone by. My large queens did just fine but all of my small queens show significant browning and many fronds have folded to the ground. When I drive down the street I see a sea of brown queens. The palm growers below me saw 10F and all of his 100's of queens are brown.

Matt from Temecula, CA, 9b

Some Pics

Cycads

Temecula.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 "Silver Syagrus"  both are alive but one has not shown any sign of growth at all, this one was planted in what I considered to be the prime position. The other one planted in the "not so prime position" has actually done a lot better and has even put on some growth this winter. perhaps we have to be a wee bit more patient and allow the roots to get established before consigning them to the compost heap?

Regards Andy. :)

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

24F official airport low, buy my Syagrus saw appx 21-22F for an hour or two.  Plant is a small juvenile, appx 5-6 feet tall  50-60% leaf burn and spotting.  By May/Jun 07, completely recovered.  By Jul 07, growing at a fast rate and very established and healthy.

• 4 months later...

December 15-16, 2007 14 hours below freezing with a low of 18 degrees, no apparent damage 1 week later to a 15' tall specimen planted less than 2 months prior with a basketball size rootball.  This is a "Silver Queen"

December 22-23, 2007 13 hours below freezing with a low of 16 degrees, and 120 degree-hours below freezing.  Will report back in a week or so regarding damage, if any, from this freeze.

post-972-1198432105_thumb.jpg

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

• 10 months later...

Hello, a testimony concerning the resistance of this variety in zone 8a. here are four years that I installed a seedling of this syagrus in a patio. it profits from the protection of a wall and is protected every winter. In spite of temperatures going until to -8°c, the seedling did not suffer.

dsc05111.jpg

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Syagrus Romanzofiana is supposed to resist until -8ºC / 17.6F. With less damage.

My seven (mostly adult palms), wich you can check at the link above, faced maybe 10 nights with -3ºC, last winter, with no damage.

They are adorable palms, indeed.

Edited by rafael

Before I moved to this house, I lived in the country. Every winter my queens were exposed to frostss nearly every night. Usually about - 5 or 6c but often down to -8 or -9c. They were all in exposed areas and of all sizes. The only ones I ever lost were still entire leaf. Once they go pinnate they are indestructable. !! Not one of them was ever affected in any way by cold or frost. My Chamaerops humilis was the only other palm that would remain without damage of some kind.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

• 2 months later...

Big box store queen variety. Multiple nights below freezing, ultimate low of around 20. All exposed fronds are burned, most plants look as if they will grow back, the smaller ones are a bit iffy.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 3 months later...

I have four 10-20-gallon sized queens planted with anywhere from no to partial canopy cover. All were protected by duct-taping a sleeping bag around the stem. All exhibited spear loss and significant defoliation from 16F as well as several nights below freezing. All have put forth new spears now and are starting to take off with the beginning of summer heat.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

I have four 10-20-gallon sized queens planted with anywhere from no to partial canopy cover. All were protected by duct-taping a sleeping bag around the stem. All exhibited spear loss and significant defoliation from 16F as well as several nights below freezing. All have put forth new spears now and are starting to take off with the beginning of summer heat.

Good to hear. How did the rest of the queens around Austin do. Most of the larger queens around here are recovering and pushing green spears.

Good to hear. How did the rest of the queens around Austin do. Most of the larger queens around here are recovering and pushing green spears.

Just about anything with 4-foot or more of stem/trunk that was healthy before the low temp event survived. I have noticed a few various queens of larger size around town that have not put on new growth. However, these are generally plants that are not well cared for or are located in low spot and experienced even colder temps (12F or less).

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

Based on what I have seen first hand, it seems that mature healthy queens are hardy to at least 16F, and a decent number of them to 14F. Seen it firsthand, most are recovering from these temps now.

• 1 month later...

three queens - 100% defoliated after 16F but all coming back. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

• 5 weeks later...

Had Three Queens, 1 survived my 13 degree low in January in NE Austin. Was totally defoliated. 1st frond tip didn't poke out until earlier May and now has about 3 fronds open. It has 10 feet or so of trunk. Those that died had 1 to 3 feet of trunk and were further away from the house.

Replaced one of the dead queens with a Mule for future freezes.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

Here's a queen (picture below) that survived more than one freeze into the upper teens, but is now succumbing from complications a couple years later.

Not many queens in my area of NW Florida, and our 8b winters makes sure to eliminate many of them every few years. Still, some full sized mature trees have managed to live in certain microclimate areas with complete defoliation in the 8b temps. 2014 put an end to the luck of many of these surviving trees. I can count on one hand how many queens survived that winter of multiple lows to the mid and low 20's, freeze to 17 degrees during which next day hardly got above freezing, light freezing rain event where the next day it didn't get above the high 20's. 

The one queen palm that survived without any lingering damage was on the south side of a large restaurant near the beach. It was defoliated but has had no lingering damage from what I can see.

There are 2 other queens I know of that "survived" that winter. They are in a neighborhood that is fairly close to the large bay to the south. I've speculated this neighborhood is in a slight microclimate as several queens there survived cold winters in the past. The 2 that survived were full sized. It took them about 2 years to really recover the crown. It was hard for them since the next winter was 8b as well. While the crowns seemed to be recovering, I started to notice damage on the trunks. What started as a couple holes started to rot away more and more over the next 3 years. Only one of the 2 is left now, and here's a picture of it I took today (likely before it will be removed shortly).

IMG_0572.thumb.JPG.2d592a2dd91940e2becf6

59e15f948b412_IMG_0572-Copy.thumb.JPG.f5

• Upvote 1