IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone use Eleanor's vf-11 ?

Stevetoad

I just bought some Eleanor's vf-11 feed for my palms after a landscaper I was talking to raved about it. Now I have it and I feel kind of silly for not looking into it first. What do you guys think

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I have never used that product but I know it works like Superthrive which I do use. I don't know if it really works but I know it doesn't hurt my palms or cycads. I started using it about 2004 when I first bought cycads. I've used it on all my plants and never did a test with two like plants to see if it did better with than without.

Well, I was intrigued about Eleanor's VF-11, so I looked up their website……..which, in my opinion, is as next to worthless in providing information as any I have seen…I admit that Superthrive holds the prize, but Eleanor’s comes close.

To me, it is a dead giveaway that a product is ‘snake oil’ if the product info is missing, or if there are testimonials instead of facts that can be replicated,.

Look, there are only three possibilities if this or other claim mongering products are applied to your plants:

1. It works…hey who knows, it might, although I can tell you that even the plant grower’s observations are prone to be highly subjective, like a ‘Placebo Observational Response’

2. It doesn’t work, either because the ingredients are too weak or non existent…in the case of Eleanor's VF-11 it would be difficult to prove, since they don’t say what the ingredients are?!?!?!? :blink: Imagine that…… :hmm: .

3. Or the worse case is that it causes the plant harm…one way would be if it contains materials that redirect a plants energy allocation at a time in the plant’s development when it would be wrong to do so...... a seedling has different requirements than a three gallon plant which is different from a B+B etc...... .. but again, how would you know if they don’t tell you what it is made of???????

And as for anecdotal stories about a products effectiveness, unless there is some scientific method employed in testing and observation so that it can be re-tested and/or replicated, i will choose to dismiss it

For myself, i will stick with proven plant growing methods, and give Eleanor's VF-11 a wide berth........

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

From what I can gather its a combo of very diluted potassium phosphate and potassium nitrate. There are rumors that it might contain giberelic acid too. Now I don't know what any of these chemicals do for plants so I hope you guys can fill me in. I still haven't used it yet until I know it won't mess up my plants. It's funny that it does say NOT to use it with other feeds. While super thrive say that you should. I'm all ears for any comments

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I just drank some gibberellic acid jibber jabber get the diverter can you get a chance can you give you ah ah ah ah ah ah ah trans trans am baja...delicious

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I looked it up and it turned a Rhapis palm into this :unsure:

cactus.jpg

That cat had a sip too and now look at it.... :blink:

I can't find what the ingredients are, does it say on the bottle Steve ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

From what I can gather its a combo of very diluted potassium phosphate and potassium nitrate. There are rumors that it might contain giberelic acid too. Now I don't know what any of these chemicals do for plants so I hope you guys can fill me in. I still haven't used it yet until I know it won't mess up my plants. It's funny that it does say NOT to use it with other feeds. While super thrive say that you should. I'm all ears for any comments

Gibberellic Acid (NOT the kind of acid that Matty takes... :lol: ) causes cell elongation, among other things...the Japanese developed it in the 30's to enhance their rice production...if i remember correctly it was a flop, literally...it caused the rice seedlings to stretch so much that they flopped over and rotted. It is used to produce elongated top growth, unlike some auxins which redirect energy from a plant's crown to the roots.

And the potassium phosphate and potassium nitrate? In general, that amounts to the N-P-K in your everyday fertilizer's analysis. Gee, think that is why they say NOT to fertilize?????? :lol:

So here is what will happen if you use that crap...you will be fertilizing your plant with a next to worthless ppm count of N-P-K, and causing cell elongation in the crown.

Jes sayin'

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Matt save some for me!

Rusty thanks for the info. I think I'll be returning this to HD and get some regular feed. Besides my rice is growing just fine. :lol:

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I just drank some gibberellic acid jibber jabber get the diverter can you get a chance can you give you ah ah ah ah ah ah ah trans trans am baja...delicious

:floor::floor:

gmp

I looked it up and it turned a Rhapis palm into this :unsure:

cactus.jpg

That cat had a sip too and now look at it.... :blink:

I can't find what the ingredients are, does it say on the bottle Steve ?

:floor::floor::floor::floor::floor::floor::floor::floor:

gmp