IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia robusta (and hybrids)

iwan

Severe burning on most trees 2-10'.  Damage to 30'+ trees in Fresno.  Still working on the temp numbers, but 16 out of 18 days below freezing.  Most days 12+ hours below freezing, rebounding to mid-40's.  Official lows in Madera and Fresno in low 20's.  Some frost every day, but nowhere near as heavy as normal 28-32F freezes.  No overhead canopy.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

photo26.jpg

Papyrus foliage to the right also fried.

photo27.jpg

Neighbor's robustas and Cycas revoluta burned.

photo37.jpg

photo38.jpg

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Robert, that's NASTY!

Here, we had freeze damage on Washie babies, too.  Lots of newbies popping up, brown after four nights of 24.8.  All night, each night.

Numerous small specimens (3', 1 m, tall) along the Sexy Freeway, also badly damaged.  

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Got around 25F-27F in the San Fernando Valley (with low spots below 24F) and many younger palms burned- but only the tops of the horizontal leaves.  No obvious damage to anything 'tall'.

• 2 months later...

My neighbor brought back a Washy with maybe 5-6" of trunk from Texas two years ago.  It was really cheap there, and they thought they were getting the same palm I had in my yard (T. Fortunei).  Their Washy gets zero care, and has grown very little.  This year we got down to 17F and had many many days in the low 20's.  Their Washy was fried to a crisp, and I was sure it was a gonner.  The other day I looked over into their front yard, and sure enough the little bugger had pushed out a new frond.

We'll see how long it lasts here in 7b country.

• Upvote 1

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

• 10 months later...

my W.robusta in the netherlands have withstood -8 C in pot with only a blanket around the trunk and a small roof above it against any frost rain, it only has lost 4 leafs of 8.

The winters are very humid here and we have about -3 C average and some days the nights are -6 and -8.

Robusta needs a good spring and  a hot light summer + good care to made it trough the winter.

i got a big greenhouse in the garden which is always 5 C warmer then outside, when it doesn't freeze anymore i put the palms in here so they can recouperate after the winter.

when the sun is on the greenhouse the temp can take up 30 C even when its 5 C outside , this give me an advantage and the palms endure a ''longer summer'' which makes them stronger for the next winter.

though some people i know have mature robusta's which has withstood temps of 10- celcius without protection , they did not have any visual - significant damage.

it seems the power of this palm comes with age and good care.

by the way if you keep your palms out of the sun they won't activate photosynthesis which evaporate's water, if it freezes and it is in the sun it won't go dormant and can't pump up water, this wil also happen if its above freezing temps during the day and freezes in the night

by this they get freeze dried and burn more quickly on light freezes.

if your neightbour had covered the palms against sunlight they would made it through wel

living in zone 7A/8A with sometimes freezes of zone 6B

• 1 month later...

23 degrees at my place. 1 and 2 strap leafers in compot fully exposed, about 5% showed damage- leaf burn.

these were seed coollected by a nearby fruiting palm. looking like mostly robusta.

1.5 yr old 3 gallons from seed had about 5 out of 12 experience bud rot from a wet winter and a thick heavy soil mix. a little daconil and they are allready pushing strong new fronds. no freeze damage to leaves. these seed were purchased as 'filibusta'

many tall and exposed robustas around town show some brown fronds (lower older ones)

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Robert :)

those hi res stills are self explainatory as how bad was the cold & freeze you folks are experiencing ! I think iam lucky to have born in a hot country.except the horrible tan it puts on our skin,i really have no complaints from now on..

thanks & love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 1 year later...

Multiple nights below freezing with ultimate low of around 20. Varying degrees of burn decidedly based on how filifera versus robusta they look (with the latter receiving much more damage). All are now sending up new healthy leaves.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 2 weeks later...

Coldest temps in 20 years. Ultimate low of 14F. W. Robustas with about 6ft CT 95% defoltated. All but center 4 fronds brown. Center 4 mostly green. Recovering fairly quickly.

Most Washies (larg ones) will recover from temps down to 14 then it is very unlikley. in north FL. the 1983 freeze the temp. was around 10-12 degrees and 95 percent of the washies died some were 75ft +tall

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

i haven't seen any washies killed by the 14-16F we got in Jan. Defoliated yes, killed no. Even some that I would consider weaker specimens are pushing new growth. Mine are already pushing new spears at a good clip. Maybe many of the locals are in fact hybrids? It got nasty cold, and my robustas are recovering very well now.

robusta & hybrids..low 17f..all defoliated..spears green though.

-Jonathan

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

• 1 month later...

I have several hybrids, lower teens hammered them pretty good. lost two no green in the middle, i will give then a little more time before i break out the chain saw.

• 1 month later...

Tree with 5-6 feet of trunk exhibited complete damage to oldest fronds, but interior frond remained green from a low of 16F with multiple nights in the upper 20's and lower 30's. Has already started cranking out new fronds.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

• 8 months later...

I have 20 W. robustas in my yard ranging from 1'-20'+. I find it strange how easily some get damaged and others are fine. It only got to 26F at the coldest and 4-5 plants are burned at least 80%. Others in the yard are as green as they are in summer. There is a 15' one that burns every winter while the ones surrounding it have zero damage. None of the plants look like filibusta. My one W. filifera looks great every winter with zero damage. Some of the W. robustas get damage before the dwarf dates do... Must be microclimates or magic... it makes no sense to me.

Adam 

• 2 weeks later...

Low of 19F with a daytime high of around 30F. Prolonged freeze for about 2 days. Quick warmup a few days later (70s F.) About 50-60% defoliation but still some green on every frond. Will recover.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Multiple days of low 20s. It toasted my strap seedlings (pure robusta) but the 6-16 footers next to it just had leave burn. The hybrid seedlings are fine, no damage.

• 5 months later...

Dry low of 17.9 with frost on January 8 caused 10% burn that only showed up later in the month when the temps climbed to 75-82 degrees for 3-4 days straight. The first picture is on January 16th. The weather station is 10' from the house in the middle of the yard in the open. I expect the area up against the house to be several degrees warmer, but most robusta's around the area out in the open showed about 25-35% burn around town.

Very rainy and icy storm in late February resulted in roughly 40hours below freezing with a low of around 23. See the second picture for the amount of Icy/Rain that fell.

The third picture shows the palm on March 22nd after all of the winter weather.

Naturally there was zero damage to butia, w. filifera, Med Fans, Jubaea. The CIDP's around burned just as bad as the robusta, which is typical of what happens every year.

post-6810-0-72915600-1441584598_thumb.jp

post-6810-0-04904400-1441585062_thumb.jp

post-6810-0-01023900-1441585079_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...

I can't believe that ice picture: was that standing water that all froze? Looks like you could go ice skating there.

No, that was 100% rain and ice that fell from the sky.  All of that ice is sitting on top of the Bermuda grass and when you walk on it your foot will fall through 2-3" to the ground.  This isn't even close to the worst ice storm that we have had and if it weren't for the ice we could grow many more varieties of palms imo.

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

No, that was 100% rain and ice that fell from the sky.  All of that ice is sitting on top of the Bermuda grass and when you walk on it your foot will fall through 2-3" to the ground.  This isn't even close to the worst ice storm that we have had and if it weren't for the ice we could grow many more varieties of palms imo.

I think you're right about the ice part. I had a small P. sylvestris and L. chinensis in the backyard that seemed to survive the early January polar vortex to 17 degrees, but died after being coated in that ice even when the temp didn't get below the 20's.

• 4 months later...

W. robusta recovery from two winters of upper teens. Many others in the area died. This seems to be a particularly vigorous and large scale individual specimen.

Also here's a picture of it from 2008 to show how fast it has grown.

56edc808d027d_robusta2.jpg.4cf3c6c5b126f

April 2014

robusta.thumb.jpg.2a1e1940964af948039fa8

Today

IMG_6813.thumb.JPG.d230c5725a74dac82a28a

Edited by Opal92
  • Upvote 1

W. robusta: check out this one I took a picture of back in December 2009. This was at a rest stop somewhere in North FL as we were making our way down to Orlando. I was taken with how nice of a specimen it was. Of course as you all know, this was RIGHT before the devastating January 2010 FL freeze: this palm must have seen mid to upper teens in that event. Don't know how it is now or if it died, as I haven't been able to find this rest stop since.

Regardless, this shows that W. robusta (and much more filibusta) can survive in cold 8b or even 8a for a number of years to make a great specimen.

56f457d19faf9_DisneyandCrystalRiver-Matt

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Are those plants in the last pictures genuine robusta or rather filibusta or even sonorae?

I was guessing they are all robusta due to the defoliation and thin trunk unlike some Washingtonia in the area that obviously have filifera traits and were minimally damage.

What is sonorae like? Never heard of it before, and couldn't find much info on the web besides it being a variation of filifera. 

They aint that thin, as you may think. I can bring up pictures of robusta in my neck of the woods with quite skinier trunks. Actually sonorae is considered  as conspecific with robusta, but actually former have an intermediate look between robusta from Baha and filifera.

Edited by Phoenikakias

• 1 month later...

My Washingtonia Robusta palm.s survived winter.  Now. Yellowing and browning in some cases.. What can i do to help these palms ?  Di they need feed and will they throw out fresh shoots ? 

20160528_185124.jpg

These are funny; around here they grow in the cracks of sidewalks & in places that get very little moisture & look great. But for some reason, they hate small pots. Or more correctly, don't do well in pots once they're of a certain size for the pot being used. Could be a nutrient thing, I'm not sure why.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

• 6 years later...

-5f survivors(Las Cruces NM) 2011. 

100% defoliation 

Greater than 90% survived at this location 

Rain, freezing rain, snow. 

Pic is  from 2016.

Verifiable on Google street view 

20170815_152810.jpg