IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why can we eat some animals and not others?

Mandrew968

Non-ordinary (American) meat I have eaten

deer

frog legs

eel

lamb

fish eyes

fertilized chicken eggs, duck eggs

all sort of mollusks

duck

squab

quail

krill

Eaten all except eel, fish eyes & krill. - Except giant Krill (Lobster!)

Buffalo (Bison) is delicious! Antelope is OK, kinda dry. Goat is good, especially curried. Rabbit is pretty good too. :)

Elk is good, Pheasant is great, Bear is greasy :( , Turtle is OK, Rattle Snake is not too bad.

In some South Florida neighborhoods, Sopa de Gato is a staple food. :blink:

Ron, you have never had BBQ eel at your local sushi restaurant??? One of my favorites.

Oh yeah, I have eaten wild boar and buffalo. Eel is just fish.

Moose have eaten antelope, deer, and elk. I wonder if he have eaten any moose. :mrlooney:

I think that meat is meat and it is absurd to eat a pig or a cow and then turn around and forbid eating any other animal. I don't like eating animals and I try not to, even fish. Meat-eaters eat meat. That's how it is. cheers and bom apetite. Jason

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

eel is pretty tasty, but to me only the freshwater variety.

i am a big fan of uni(sea urchin roe),which alot of people seem to find "challenging" :drool:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Growing up in a family of hunters, I've often toyed with writing a book simply entitled: "Animals I Have Eaten".

I'd have to have a section at least for each major animal group; reptiles, birds, fish, amphibians, and Mammals...

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

When I was young my family used to spend time regulary in Hardin, Montana where my grandmother lived. Hardin is on the edge of the Crow indian reservation. I remember quite vividly seeing the indian women wrapped in blankets sucking on raw beef kidneys like they were popsicles. I guess it was a hold over from the days when the bison ruled the plains. Also the indians in my home town are known to make puppy stew from time to time. I do not believe any animals are toxic to humans so I guess you can eat anything that walks if you want to. A few years ago Samsung imported a large amount of workers to put in a new factory in the Manaus free zone. I do no know if it is actually true, but a lot of the stray dogs came up missing. A friend of mine runs a sawmill in Suriname that belongs to a Chinese company. The cook in the forest operation kitchen is a Fillipino and from the stories I heard he regulary fattens up a dog for consumption. Then he breaks it´s legs and ties it in the sun for a few days until he kills it for food. This is apparently a way of softening up the meat. A bit cruel though. One thing I notice is that from what I remember armericans do not normally leave the heads on fish when they cook them. At least in Montana they don´t.. Around here they always cook fish with the heads on. A lot of people love eating fish heads. And, some also eat cow and pig heads roasted. In fact it is not hard to see pig heads for sale in some butcher shops around town. Sometimes they hang them out by the door.

I guess taste is a totally relative thing driven by culture.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I guess taste is a totally relative thing driven by culture.

dk

still "warning-free."

Hmm.

SMALL deep fried fish heads are good! The opercula (gill covers) come out all crispy like chips. The jawbone comes out all crunchy, and the eyes and brain come out all chewy.

I lived with a Chinese gentleman as my roommate in law school, and he and the other Chinese thought Americans were freaky about fish heads. ("It's giving me the evil eye!") I told them about that and they just laughed, then tried to scare me with some serious chinese delicacies, at the infamous Young Ho. Delicacies included: blood cake, perserved beef tendon (good!), chitlins in hot sauce, pork tripe six different ways (all tasted terrible), and bitter melon.

Chinese consider the head to be the best part of the fish, and the guest of honor is always offered it. They don't trust fish without the head. Helps to ID what kind of fish it is, so you know you're getting what your paying for. Plus, the gills (nice and red) are the tell-all for freshness.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

i am eating duck for lunch right now!!!! :drool:

still "warning-free."

if it comes down to them or me,i agree.

if i hafta go out & actually HUNT something i would be more inclined to try & catch something that doesnt want anything to do with me & just

eats grass. :winkie:

still "warning-free."

Ah!

Would Monsieur like some Peter Puma, Cordon Bleu?

default.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.