IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pool pictures early summer 06

GREENHAND

tiles and bricks and pavers and pots and concrete and chlorine and ah there's some palms........

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Nice touch. There is however, more room

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I say the next IPS meeting is at your place...

Looking beautiful.

B/R's

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

thanks guys , its getting more difficult to maintain everything with all these water restrections. as long as it will come out of the hose though i will be allright.

hai GreenHand,

I love your pictures only one thing was missing ?

i.e Mr.bond and Mr.goldfinger talking by the pool.

It looks like a tropical Heaven and iam from S.india and

all my dreams are around only such locations and not

locations where ice falls like canada or russia.since we do not have snow fall locations as such.

you are a very fortunate person because any one who

relaxes beside that pool in the evenings would live for

many years with sound health.Believe me it is so soothing.

the cycas revlota,trachy carpus fortunei,musa paradisa and the greenary is terrafic that were used to give a warm tropical

ever green effect. i hope the pool and the surrounding plants are lit in the evenings.

One Man One Tree..

Love,

Kris (From South India).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

WOW india, cool that is why i love the form ther are people all over the world.  also thanks for the complement,  i think i found out how to make the picture bigger.

post-59-1152547183_thumb.jpg

What a beautiful oasis! Great job!

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Awesome, Mike...... Love those Trachies, Nice Sago, and The bananas look great.... Also, I see you have Colocasia too... I love those.... Very tropical looking... the pool & Hottub really complete the pictures.... WHEN IS THE PARTY???

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

THANKS BOBBY -I had a get together saturday night, tropical drink blender party,    i can still feel it on monday,  I AM NOT AS YOUNG AS I USED TO BE.  i told my just dont drunk and fall into that robusta , or  that L chineses  I DONT FEEL LIKE DIGGING SAW TOOTH SPIKES  OUT OF SOMBOBY.

Mike,

I can feel your watering restriction pains.  I'm down to one day a week sprinkler irrigation and two day a week hand watering.  What guidelines do you have to follow?

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Can water on sunday and thursday, after 6 pm and not after 10am .  no washing cars or hosing down sidewalks,or no slip and slides in your front yard or water wiggels, ( remember those, that slip and slide would kill your grass my dad got mad ).  of corse they cant see what i am watering in my back yard.  unless they got me on satelite . if so ill just moon them!!

The chinensis is a lush as any i have see.Usually they are alot of work in our cool climate.Needing warm shade and that is not what we have.

And having your own wild black panther lounging by the pool is a nice touch.

Or is that a dog?....

this is the mean one it may look small , this 200 lb doberman pincher  will rip your ankels off.

post-59-1152559196_thumb.jpg

i had to wrap that chineses last winter but it came out fine. it got down to around 15 deg. i will have to plant the one in the whisky barrel next spring at the lake. starting to work on the side yard next.

post-59-1152559991_thumb.jpg

hai green hand,

the new photos are good and i love dogs,cats and horses.

i see your pet_dog but the other photo the pet is not clear

is it a doggy or cat.

we have 3 boxers_Albino(Female),Black Brindle(Male) &

Black Brindle (female).their names are Pinky,Rocky & Sumo.

What is your pets name.

we call generally our dogs as bujang ! meaning Fat soo..

we used to call our cats as bonka pucha ! Stout Cat, but the cats are no more.

hey your house seems to be a well planned one.did your dad

plan it, if so hats off to him and convey my regards to him.

and the sun in your back yard on the partition makes a fashion

statement.

In S.India we are experiencing heat wave daily for a week.

After last years Tsunani and floods it appears that the climate

has changed permanently due to global warming !

At present i do not have a digital camera. when i have it i will

load the pictures of my palms, my residence & my pets.so that our members could comment on it.

One Man One Tree..

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

thanks kris .The dog on the float is a toy chihuahua , his name is Taco. the bigger one is taz a mixed bread . the house was built in 85, we got it in 97.

i had to wrap that chineses last winter but it came out fine. it got down to around 15 deg. i will have to plant the one in the whisky barrel next spring at the lake. starting to work on the side yard next.

Hey Mike.....

I'm just curious about something... When it got down to 15f last winter, what did the temps rebound to in the day - I'm just curious cause that was our coldest night as well.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Hi greenhand,

Great picture's, i love those washingtonia's, i hope that mine would be the same size after a few years. Including the pool, it looks tropical ! Great job :)

Greetz robbin

Southwest

bobby we had two nights that got pretty cold one 15deg one night 19 deg , the 15 deg night rebounded to 34deg that day and the 19 deg rebounded to 37deg. i just left blankets around  my palms for almost three days. everything came back ok, although L chinensis were more sensetive than washies. the fronds that were sticking out of the blankets turned yellow. but came back quick.

hi robbin how many washies do you have and what kind. in my opinion if you wrap them up they will live , i still wrap the robustas when it gets lower than  27deg.

Yeah, but Greenhand, if that was the same cold snap in early Dec that I am thinking about, it bounced back to the 70-80F range just a week or so later and stayed warm the rest of Dec.  That might have helped.

I woulnd't think you would have to wrap at 27F.  22-23 maybe start wrapping.  Unless it expected to stay at 27F for a long time.  We got down to 24F for a winter low in SA and I never wrapped anything, including queens and robustas.

How old are your Washys.  What size did you buy them at.  Have they grown fast.  I bet they love the Big D heat in the summer.  I have 4 Filiferas, 2 Robustas, and 1 Filibusta and all are growing fast now.

I am going to try to get a XButyagus for my back yard for a little extra cold hardiness over the queens, although I am seeing queens pop up everywhere around here.  Might want to try the XButyagrus up there if you are feeling brave.  Should actually be hardier than the Robusta.  Supposed to be hardy to 14-15F  My neighbor has about 7-8 queens in his yard ranging from 20-30 or 35 feet tall.  They look awesome, hope mine get that big.  

Are you seeing more CIDP sold and pop up around there.  Another one you might want to consider if you have LOTS of extra room somewhere.  I planted one in the center of my front lawn.  They are hardy here and get BIG after a long time.

hey jim. yea i remember it did get warmer a week later. i really dont need to wrap at 27deg, sometimes i may go overboard, what the heck! , washies around 8 years old planted from 3 gal pots , i did not even know what they were when i bought them. all i knew is that were palms. boy was i (green) . i see lots of cidps at local nurserys.  as for queens i just planted 3 at my zone 8b lake house about a month ago i hope they do ok.

bobby we had two nights that got pretty cold one 15deg one night 19 deg , the 15 deg night rebounded to 34deg that day and the 19 deg rebounded to 37deg. i just left blankets around  my palms for almost three days. everything came back ok, although L chinensis were more sensetive than washies. the fronds that were sticking out of the blankets turned yellow. but came back quick.

Thats very interesting, Mike...because the cold you're describing is the same as we get.. I think the difference might be in the duration... because when we "rebound" it's only into the 40's or on a HOT day, 50's... but we can get 24 degree days for 3-5 days in a row.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Yeah, I think that might be it.  The cold greenhand was talking about is a once a year occurence, maybe twice.  Plus a 70 degree day is never more than a few days away.  60s are fairly commonplace.  Average Jan Hi in San Antonio is about 62-64 degrees.  In Dallas it's probably mid to upper 50s on average in Jan, with lots of 60s and 70s.  By the first of March (possibly late Feb), my washys are already starting to grow and we're seeing 80F frequently.

some kind of red canna i dug up in a vacant lot near my lake house ,  there is some orange ones there to, they are growing almost in the water near the boat ramp.