IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Burning Palm Trunks -- wood you? Could You?

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

On this blustery night, I have a fire in one of my fireplaces, and I included some chunks of a Washie that got cut down way back in 2006.

That wood is so dry and spongy it bounces.

But, it won't burn well, even if it's in a fire with something else burning hot, like, say, walnut, pine or oak.

So, it appears that the Washie wood is quite fire-retardant.

How about other palm wood?

Anyone have any thoughts, experiences, babble to share?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hey Dave, we burned a washie out at the river last year. It burned ok mixed with pine but it didn't really put out any heat and turned to ash super fast. It didn't seem like a very good firewood in my opinion. Being that it was dried out in Blythe for over a year might have helped with it burning fine but again not much heat and burned out fast.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Hmm.

I've found that some spongy wood burns well and hot, if fast, like Chorisia, also known as the [certain ethnic] Torture Tree . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This is a natural stand of Phoenix theophrasti in Crete (Preveli).

post-6141-099881000 1328693763_thumb.jpg

A couple of years ago it had been set in to fire.

post-6141-052851400 1328694134_thumb.jpg

post-6141-050219000 1328694244_thumb.jpg

The seemingly burnt palms have produced new leaves

post-6141-032229900 1328694404_thumb.jpg

post-6141-049862700 1328694444_thumb.jpg

post-6141-037797500 1328694557_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

post-6141-004077700 1328694731_thumb.jpg

Even seemingly roasted seeds can sprout (personal experience).

After all the name Phoenix refers also to a mythical bird that was getting reborn from its own ashes, coincidence? I don't think so

post-6141-096761300 1328694931_thumb.gif

Here is another pic (used as my avatar) from another natural stand of Phoenix theophrasi in Agios Nikitas. Notice please on the upper left corner of the pic., how on fallen horizontal trunk emerge new suckers!!!!!!!

post-6141-068219000 1328695219_thumb.jpg

Tough fauna, tough flora, tough people, tough, tough tough....

• Upvote 2

yes indeed

so, phoenikakias, have you ever tried to burn phoenix palm stems after they became dead and dried out?

If so,curious to know . . . what happened?

Great photos and story, Phoenikakias! :greenthumb:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I have burned Foxtail and Royal trunks in my burn pile. They seem to burn ok, but it's an entire pile of fire so not sure how they perform in a fireplace. Ask Ken Johnson about his burn pile.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)