IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Finally some good news.......

epicure3

1040 MB HIGH OVER UTAH WILL LIKELY CAUSE WIND ADVISORY NORTH WINDS INCANYONS MONDAY. OFFSHORE FLOW UNDER THE 578 RIDGE TUE THRU THU OF NEXTWEEK FOR WARM AND FAIR CONDITIONS WITH HIGHS IN THE LOW TO MID 70SCOASTS AND VALLEYS.

Nice :cool:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Hey, just the fact that this morning (Thurs) is the first night above freezing in my backyard since Friday night is cause for celebration!!!! :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Just a question. Does'nt high pressure equal low humidity, no clouds and cold nighttime temps? Doe it mention what the night lows might be? I'll take cloud cover any day...   ???

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

It will still mean lows below freezing for us inlanders. I was 27 this morning.... :(

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

This is an emotional drain with neverending cold. Last night I was at 32F and 34F at my two monitored locations, it's been like this since last Saturday.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I guess the idea is that if temps get into the 70s, which they haven't since this crap started, maybe we won't drop as far at night since we'll be starting in a better place.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

I'd like to be an optimist....but I doubt it'd work out   :P

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Jan. 18 2007,12:18)

I'd like to be an optimist....but I doubt it'd work out   :P

I'd like to be an optometrist, but I don't see that working out.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Steve...

just so you don't feel like the lone ranger...29F at my Dad's last couple of nights in a row (and that's the thermometer hanging on the back of the house...colder out in the open i'm sure) ...frost and ice on top of all the covers on the palms that have now been covered since last Saturday...Dad started losing orchids in his coldframes finally...they just started giving up the ghost as of yesterday. I really don't expect any of the kings or the gigas that got hit to survive at this point.

Went to bed last night at midnight with the temp at 41 and thinking it was going to be another night in the mid to low 30's.  Woke up at 5:30 am and to my surprise 41 was as low as it got and all my sensors read in the range of 50-52.  I didn't believe what I saw so I checked the online weather stations and all had similar readings.  The wind had picked up and warmed things up outside.  It was a very welcome sight, hopefully this cold spell is now over and the worst is behind us.  Of course I said that once already this year and it wasn't the case.  Still I choose to be optomistic because otherwise I'll go crazy.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Last night it only hit 32F. And best of all nothing looks worse!

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

You know I keep hearing that it's getting warmer but I'm not sure if waking up to my pool running saying" frost protection activated" and having a solid sheet of ice on my windshield like I did today is anything to celebrate. I've had 5 days in a row of frost and I'm not sure how much more my palms can take. My palms are getting crispier and crunchier every day. Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

(osideterry @ Jan. 18 2007,16:28)

Last night it only hit 32F. And best of all nothing looks worse!

And that's the only thing that matters.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

(Steve from San Diego @ Jan. 18 2007,20:46)

You know I keep hearing that it's getting warmer but I'm not sure if waking up to my pool running saying" frost protection activated" and having a solid sheet of ice on my windshield like I did today is anything to celebrate. I've had 5 days in a row of frost and I'm not sure how much more my palms can take. My palms are getting crispier and crunchier every day. Steve

Well, I hope tonight is different.....for all of us.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Barring some major change in the weather pattern, the cold air in the southern San Joaquin valley will just stagnate and only slowly warm up.  Lots of temps <30F still for lows.  I measured 24.4 and 25.1, but it isn't getting below freezing as quickly as a few days ago and warming up nicely during the day to the low/mid 50's.  Still having 12+ hours below freezing.  Forcast for the next 7 days show lows just above freezing.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Nightime temps. have been above freezing for a few days now and the forecast is for a string of low to upper 60s daytime and upper 30s to mid 40s 'til the end of January! Hallaluia!

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

This weather is just strange, as I mentioned earlier, this morning I woke up at 5:30 am to 52 degrees while people I work with 20 to 30 miles away still had freezing temps.  Currently at 11:45PM all weather stations for my area are reporting 59 degrees.  The Santa Anas have kicked in and are warming things up a bit.  In addition to the damage to the leaves the cold did, now the winds are coming and taking their toll on them too.  Not only has this fall and winter been one of extremes, it seems to be the most unpredictable winter I can recall

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Noticably warmer last night. Heck, the moisture on the roof of my truck was even still in liquid form!!

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Awesome!  My cold back yard was at 41F at 6:15AM......................Hooray!!! :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'm at 48 this a/m,,,warmer than the coast...wuddupwitdat?

41F was the low for me as well.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

My low was about 6C (42F), but the price was high.  The winds were howling last night, and knocked my staked Bismarckia over.  The stakes I used were steel, driven 40" (100cm) into the ground.  Both stakes were pulled forward about 5cm by the wind last night, and the Biz has maybe a 15 degree lean...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(elHoagie @ Jan. 19 2007,12:55)

My low was about 6C (42F), but the price was high.  The winds were howling last night, and knocked my staked Bismarckia over.  The stakes I used were steel, driven 40" (100cm) into the ground.  Both stakes were pulled forward about 5cm by the wind last night, and the Biz has maybe a 15 degree lean...

Your Biz needs a 'Born to Lean' tatoo....

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Jan. 19 2007,09:58)

(elHoagie @ Jan. 19 2007,12:55)

Your Biz needs a 'Born to Lean' tatoo....

Yeah, I'd say I give up at this point.  If the f@#$er wants to lean, I'll let him lean...  I'm finding it easier to give up on things after this weather :(

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

WOW!, I never expected such a turn-around, Wdnesday night I was down at 32 to 34F, I checked my high-lows this morning and one said 42F and the other said 46F, please let this continue.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet