Sign in to follow this  
BS Man about Palms

Jubeopsis caffra

BS Man about Palms

For some reason I have aquired at least 5 of these from good 1 gal size to hefty 5's.  Some sheet covered, some not. 4 nights under 30F, 2 of those at 26F can't see any damage.

Small ones seem more susceptable to root rot than cold...

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos

Small 16" tall one in the ground two years in full sun. 26.5F low with little frost. No damage at all.

• Upvote 1

Geoff

Very small plant, about 8" tall overall, but about 6 years old.  No protection and no damage to 5 hours of frostless 27F... Dypsis baronii 3x this size just 2' away completely killed.

2 weeks later and now some minor leaf damage on one leaf

• Upvote 1

Cycadcenter

plants137.jpg

Fallbrook  

Low temps at this area of garden sub 20 degrees for 5 nights

Not too sure if it will survive

• Like 1

DoomsDave

Two babies overpotted in five gallon pots, three or four baby leaves, two nights, 24.8 F, no protection, some spotting and yellowing; two more days under an overhang, not any worse.

dave

PalmGuyWC

5 gal size, planted last summer, some protection from other plants.  Not sure, but estimate around 25 F on Dec. 19th.  Had protection for the Jan freeze.  No damage.  Looks like this one won't take frost on the fronds.

DoomsDave

Little babies in 5 gallons, slight damage after two nights of 24.8 F, later moved under overhang.

post-208-1170026741_thumb.jpg

Palmy

@ Cycadcenter

Wow you have quite some size on that one. Try you hardest to keep it alive. Something that large has some value.

STEVE IN SO CAL

One plant, 2' OA height

22f, multiple hours and nights below freezing, covered after first night.

No damage

wowow
One plant, 2' OA height

No damage

Wow do you reckon if it was in a shed with a cloth or another type of cover over it i t could survive long hours(maybe days) at 20-35f

AJQ
One plant, 2' OA height

No damage

Steve, any update on this one?

22f puts it in the Juania australis catergory for me and would be worth trying it out in the ground.

Regards Andy.

ghar41
plants137.jpg

Fallbrook  

Low temps at this area of garden sub 20 degrees for 5 nights

Not too sure if it will survive

Bruce,

I'm really interested in hearing about your plant also. Did it survive?

MattyB

It's got a green newest leaf so I'm gonna guess yes. Now let's see.

ghar41
It's got a green newest leaf so I'm gonna guess yes. Now let's see.

Id bet youre right, Matt. ...and then over the same time period, perfectly healthy plants bit the dust. Wierd species this one

Rhizophora

After seeing this thread I really want to try one in the ground!!

Patrick

Go for it, just bring your wallet. :o

AJQ

It took 3 weeks of sub zero temps with at least 2 excursions to -4c/24.8v and 2 lower dips to -5c/23f.

Covered by a small 4 tier mini green house. Substantial damage/ 75% but still alive.

Regards Andy.

Gallop

This is what mine looks like after the last freeze. Lows around 22˚f for up to 12 hr periods. No Protection,

post-1473-12658223391912_thumb.jpg

PalmGuyWC

I was told the one in Fallbrook survived, recovered, and now may be near blooming. Does anyone have an update? (or a picture)?

Dick

edbrown_III

I am growing this one in North Florida but I dont have any illusions about survival ----- its a solid zone 10 plant I believe. You have to remember that it grows so slowly in these climates that if it gets a atlot of frost damage --- it may take a few years to recover ----- so you have this problem of back to bac freezes in sucessive years --- you never get good growth. I try to cover mine each year to minimize this. About 2 years ago I hurt my back and had a hernia and couldnt work on a ladder to cover--- I chain sawed the foliage down to abotu 8-10 feet so I could throw something on it. --- it has takedn to this time to really get back to what it was. You really have to plan to keep this plsny going ---

best regards,

Ed

Austinpalm

One 3-gallon sized plant in the ground under canopy protected by a plastic bucket and leaves exhibited defoliation of all but the spear. Ultimate low was 16F with several lows in the upper 20's and low 30's. The spear has since opened.

BS Man about Palms

Heres one of the 5's I got as mentioned in the first post, potted into a 10 gal maybe 2 years ago?

post-27-12757052959481_thumb.jpg

iwan

Any update on some of the ones subjected to low 20's (or lower in this thread). I have some that are itching to go in the ground, but don't really want to sacrifice them.

BS Man about Palms

I was looking at my one just pictured above today... Its BIGGER! !! Once its planting time, it should be good and healthy! :D

Sutter Bob

I'll be planting one here within a month.

It had no problem being in a pot under a southern eave with recent official low of 20F.

It's going to replace a Kentia that has barely survived for four years and just got beaten badly..

It'll be on the western side of tall Italian Cypress.

Wish me luck.

Sutter Bob

Update.

So far so good.

Survived transplantation and growing.

Brahea Axel

This is a beautiful jubaeopsis caffra growing in East Los Gatos/South San Jose that didn't even blink an eye from a solid week of nights 27F to 29F temperatures for 10+ hours below freezing. This is simply a spectacular hardy palm! See http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCALOSGA13&day=9&year=2013&month=12 for details on the freeze, Dec 4th through 12th. This WX station is literally 3 blocks from where this palm grows. Palm has some light overhead canopy to the East, clear skies to the West.

20131215_154557_zps74138c02.jpg

The yellow petioles really give this a coconutty look:

20131215_155258_zps6c718493.jpg

20131215_155253_zps79fc6bf0.jpg

Brahea Axel

Two seedlings about 12 inches tall with divided leaves, unphased by the cold from this same freeze, 26.6F on the worst night. Mine were fully exposed to the night sky, no overhead canopy.

Tropicdoc

3 consecutive nights 31 F, 23 F, 25 F. 2 foot tall, 5-6 divided leaves. Covered with my thermal jackets made from laminate floor underlayment. 3 hot hands underneath on the night at 23 F. The palm is almost unphased!

Tropicdoc

Brutal winter.... 3 nights 30 F, 29 F, 25 F. Protected from sleet and snow with thermal foam... no glove warmers this time. Estimate 30-40% burn on outer leaflets. Definitely still alive.

• Upvote 1

Phoenikakias

Clear sky to the west is a good selection, it allows western sun in winter to warm things up before nightfall.

Tropicdoc

update..... spear pull. I was disgusted and dug it up and threw it in the pond.

• Upvote 1

Sutter Bob

Update on mine.

Fizzled out in late Spring 2013.

I haven't ruled this one out to try again.

The one above was a one gallon and got beat up by construction crew in addition to Winter cold.

If I try again it'll be with a bigger specimen.

Josue Diaz

Frost and low of 32 for about two hours - you can see light burns on the newer fronds. The dried tips were pre-existing. 

Screenshot_20180303-180011.jpg

• Upvote 2

iwan

Toasted after the first night.  Under partial canopy.  No other protection.  A second one under nearly full canopy looks much better but has burn spots wherever clear sky was visible.  No frost.  Will not be planting my remaining plants.

Here are my lows for the Feb. 2018 freeze:

2/21  21.6F

2/22 23.5F

2/23 27.9F

2/24  25.1F

2/25  26.5F

2/26  29.3F

And duration info from a local AG station.

5a9e085d333e8_3-5-20187-15-07PM.thumb.pn

DSCN3379.jpg

DSCN3380.jpg

iwan

The dead and brown parts are sunburn and drought stress from last summer.