IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubeopsis caffra

BS Man about Palms

For some reason I have aquired at least 5 of these from good 1 gal size to hefty 5's.  Some sheet covered, some not. 4 nights under 30F, 2 of those at 26F can't see any damage.

Small ones seem more susceptable to root rot than cold...

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Small 16" tall one in the ground two years in full sun. 26.5F low with little frost. No damage at all.

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Very small plant, about 8" tall overall, but about 6 years old.  No protection and no damage to 5 hours of frostless 27F... Dypsis baronii 3x this size just 2' away completely killed.

2 weeks later and now some minor leaf damage on one leaf

• Upvote 1

plants137.jpg

Fallbrook  

Low temps at this area of garden sub 20 degrees for 5 nights

Not too sure if it will survive

• Like 1

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Two babies overpotted in five gallon pots, three or four baby leaves, two nights, 24.8 F, no protection, some spotting and yellowing; two more days under an overhang, not any worse.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

5 gal size, planted last summer, some protection from other plants.  Not sure, but estimate around 25 F on Dec. 19th.  Had protection for the Jan freeze.  No damage.  Looks like this one won't take frost on the fronds.

Richard Douglas

Little babies in 5 gallons, slight damage after two nights of 24.8 F, later moved under overhang.

post-208-1170026741_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...

@ Cycadcenter

Wow you have quite some size on that one. Try you hardest to keep it alive. Something that large has some value.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

• 11 months later...

One plant, 2' OA height

22f, multiple hours and nights below freezing, covered after first night.

No damage

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

• 11 months later...
One plant, 2' OA height

No damage

Wow do you reckon if it was in a shed with a cloth or another type of cover over it i t could survive long hours(maybe days) at 20-35f

uk home: z9a 750mm/30" annual rainfall

no extreme high/low average generally remain cool and gets some hot weather but only for a short amount of time, average 23C summer high.

In winter temperatures dont dip very much but dont recover in the day so the average high and average low are seperated by only a few degrees

pk home: z10a/b 900mm/35" annual rainfall (mainly in monsoon season 2-3 months)

AHS heat zone 11/12. No frost

coldest month average low/high:

2008 3.7C/17.3C, 2007 4.6C/21.4C, 2006 5.9C/20.3C, 2005 4.1C/23.1C

hottest month average low/high:

2008 23.6C/37.8C high of 41.8C, 2007 25.5C/38.7C high of 47.2C, 2006 25.6C/40.3C high of 45.5C, 2005 28C/42.2C high of 47C

Record high:48C

Record low -3C

• 2 months later...
One plant, 2' OA height

No damage

Steve, any update on this one?

22f puts it in the Juania australis catergory for me and would be worth trying it out in the ground.

Regards Andy.

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

plants137.jpg

Fallbrook  

Low temps at this area of garden sub 20 degrees for 5 nights

Not too sure if it will survive

Bruce,

I'm really interested in hearing about your plant also. Did it survive?

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

It's got a green newest leaf so I'm gonna guess yes. Now let's see.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

It's got a green newest leaf so I'm gonna guess yes. Now let's see.

Id bet youre right, Matt. ...and then over the same time period, perfectly healthy plants bit the dust. Wierd species this one

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

• 4 months later...

Go for it, just bring your wallet. :o

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

• 4 months later...

It took 3 weeks of sub zero temps with at least 2 excursions to -4c/24.8v and 2 lower dips to -5c/23f.

Covered by a small 4 tier mini green house. Substantial damage/ 75% but still alive.

Regards Andy.

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

• 4 weeks later...

This is what mine looks like after the last freeze. Lows around 22˚f for up to 12 hr periods. No Protection,

post-1473-12658223391912_thumb.jpg

Paul Gallop

I was told the one in Fallbrook survived, recovered, and now may be near blooming. Does anyone have an update? (or a picture)?

Dick

Richard Douglas

I am growing this one in North Florida but I dont have any illusions about survival ----- its a solid zone 10 plant I believe. You have to remember that it grows so slowly in these climates that if it gets a atlot of frost damage --- it may take a few years to recover ----- so you have this problem of back to bac freezes in sucessive years --- you never get good growth. I try to cover mine each year to minimize this. About 2 years ago I hurt my back and had a hernia and couldnt work on a ladder to cover--- I chain sawed the foliage down to abotu 8-10 feet so I could throw something on it. --- it has takedn to this time to really get back to what it was. You really have to plan to keep this plsny going ---

best regards,

Ed

• 3 months later...

One 3-gallon sized plant in the ground under canopy protected by a plastic bucket and leaves exhibited defoliation of all but the spear. Ultimate low was 16F with several lows in the upper 20's and low 30's. The spear has since opened.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

Heres one of the 5's I got as mentioned in the first post, potted into a 10 gal maybe 2 years ago?

post-27-12757052959481_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 1 year later...

Any update on some of the ones subjected to low 20's (or lower in this thread). I have some that are itching to go in the ground, but don't really want to sacrifice them.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

I was looking at my one just pictured above today... Its BIGGER! !! Once its planting time, it should be good and healthy! :D

I'll be planting one here within a month.

It had no problem being in a pot under a southern eave with recent official low of 20F.

It's going to replace a Kentia that has barely survived for four years and just got beaten badly..

It'll be on the western side of tall Italian Cypress.

Wish me luck.

• 4 months later...

Update.

So far so good.

Survived transplantation and growing.

• 1 year later...

This is a beautiful jubaeopsis caffra growing in East Los Gatos/South San Jose that didn't even blink an eye from a solid week of nights 27F to 29F temperatures for 10+ hours below freezing. This is simply a spectacular hardy palm! See http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCALOSGA13&day=9&year=2013&month=12 for details on the freeze, Dec 4th through 12th. This WX station is literally 3 blocks from where this palm grows. Palm has some light overhead canopy to the East, clear skies to the West.

20131215_154557_zps74138c02.jpg

The yellow petioles really give this a coconutty look:

20131215_155258_zps6c718493.jpg

20131215_155253_zps79fc6bf0.jpg

Two seedlings about 12 inches tall with divided leaves, unphased by the cold from this same freeze, 26.6F on the worst night. Mine were fully exposed to the night sky, no overhead canopy.

• 3 weeks later...

3 consecutive nights 31 F, 23 F, 25 F. 2 foot tall, 5-6 divided leaves. Covered with my thermal jackets made from laminate floor underlayment. 3 hot hands underneath on the night at 23 F. The palm is almost unphased!

• 3 weeks later...

Brutal winter.... 3 nights 30 F, 29 F, 25 F. Protected from sleet and snow with thermal foam... no glove warmers this time. Estimate 30-40% burn on outer leaflets. Definitely still alive.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update on mine.

Fizzled out in late Spring 2013.

I haven't ruled this one out to try again.

The one above was a one gallon and got beat up by construction crew in addition to Winter cold.

If I try again it'll be with a bigger specimen.

• 4 years later...

Frost and low of 32 for about two hours - you can see light burns on the newer fronds. The dried tips were pre-existing. 

Screenshot_20180303-180011.jpg

• Upvote 3

Toasted after the first night.  Under partial canopy.  No other protection.  A second one under nearly full canopy looks much better but has burn spots wherever clear sky was visible.  No frost.  Will not be planting my remaining plants.

Here are my lows for the Feb. 2018 freeze:

2/21  21.6F

2/22 23.5F

2/23 27.9F

2/24  25.1F

2/25  26.5F

2/26  29.3F

And duration info from a local AG station.

5a9e085d333e8_3-5-20187-15-07PM.thumb.pn

DSCN3379.jpg

DSCN3380.jpg

Robert

9A

The dead and brown parts are sunburn and drought stress from last summer.

Robert

9A