IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

want to see crazy exotic tropicals?

Gbarce

more plants...

Thank you for posting all these photos!!! I especially liked the large alocasia (with the wavy leaf margin). Any ideas as to name?

Cindy Adair

Gene "Crazy Exotic Tropicals" what a great title for said post! The creativity exhibited in many of the displays are spectacular. What an inspiration to all of us. Thank you! :)

KPL

Enjoying MY home and garden in Leilani Estates, "K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden"

apaandssa - That one is called Alocasia sp. var 'Zac Sarian', what the camera can't captur is how stiff those leaves are. Kind of like thin card board. It's a local species.

KPL - I am glad the the pictures did not disappoint. Yup we have a great bunch of landscapers here.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Gene, what an incredible treat it was to go thru those pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

Gene,

I always enjoy your pictures of the incredible, varieties and species of plants that are found in the nurseries there. Please keep posting more pic's if there's more. I certainly look forward to them!

Business has been pretty good this past year, a trip just might be in the works to the Philippines soon. Thanks!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

wow,love that arenga hookeriana! one of the most beautiful palms ever,imo! :drool:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

apaandssa - That one is called Alocasia sp. var 'Zac Sarian', what the camera can't captur is how stiff those leaves are. Kind of like thin card board. It's a local species.

KPL - I am glad the the pictures did not disappoint. Yup we have a great bunch of landscapers here.

Thanks for the Alocasia name! I've added it to my "wish list" along with "a visit to the Philippines".

Cindy Adair

Very odd and unique stuff, Gene! For a guy that really only likes palms, you sure got me staring at some cool stuff-IMO. The Bonsai are incredible!!!!

Just heard from a local [ for you Gene ] expert on Alocasias , and Alocasia 'Sarian' is closely related to macrorrhizos and a native Philippines sp.

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Gene I always enjoy your posts from your local plant show.What a spectacular variety on display and for sale.I think I would be a very poor man if I lived there. Thank you

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Here's an interesting palm that no one seems to know the identity of.

The leaves seem like immature Caryota Leaves but they are thick almost like a carboard palm (Zamia)

Anyone know what it is?

post-1017-026550400 1328586500_thumb.jpg

post-1017-095340700 1328586506_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

Quite a few of you were asking about Alocasia sp. var 'Zac Sarian' well there was one for sale in the commercial ares of the show and the asking prices was P6,500 which comes to about $150!!!

They don't come around too often but I still think that is waaaaaay over priced. Alocacias are pretty easy to propagte so these should eventually become more common and more reasonably priced.

post-1017-000964400 1328609334_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

So finally the loot:

Some sort of dwarf ficus

A variegated costus

variegated bamboo

trichoglottis bractiata var 'philippinensis'

post-1017-053445100 1328609733_thumb.jpg

post-1017-088094500 1328609758_thumb.jpg

post-1017-066055800 1328609787_thumb.jpg

post-1017-012150600 1328609812_thumb.jpg

post-1017-096496700 1328609834_thumb.jpg

post-1017-076658600 1328609861_thumb.jpg

post-1017-051054400 1328609903_thumb.jpg

post-1017-095303800 1328609934_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Thanks for posting, Gene. I can see that you were having fun. You didn't buy many this year?

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thank you for sharing th

ese amazing pictures !!

I'm so jealous of you !! Enjoy the incredible luck to live there : Since I went in Philippines, I never have stoped to dream about living over there, one day...

The perfect climate, landscape and people !

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

Vince Lombardi

• 1 month later...