Jump to content
trioderob

lets talk about Patrick Schafer's X breeds....

Recommended Posts

yabazid

The new list would be nice guys 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal
3 hours ago, yabazid said:

The new list would be nice guys 

There is no new list.  I checked in with Patric and he needs to work on one.  So, folks need to reach out to him individually.

Hope that helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom in Tucson
9 hours ago, corsafafa said:

patrick has a new list this year or not???

No. Last list: March 23, '15.

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 103°, Lo 71° - showers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jdiaz31089

BUMP! I'd love to see what some of yours have turned into over the years. 

These are the ones I have - from left to right:

Butia x Parajubaea Sunkha, Butia x Polyandrococos (A. caudescens), Butia x Syagrus romanzofianna

20170120_125723.thumb.jpg.c2209e986c2bad

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sbpalms
2 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

BUMP! I'd love to see what some of yours have turned into over the years. 

These are the ones I have - from left to right:

Butia x Parajubaea Sunkha, Butia x Polyandrococos (A. caudescens), Butia x Syagrus romanzofianna

20170120_125723.thumb.jpg.c2209e986c2bad

That Butia x Parajubaea sunka is really nice!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tropicdoc

Didn't know he hybridized polyandrococos. That seems it would turn out very nice and have interesting fruit. That had to be expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sandy Loam

The problem is finding photos of Patric's hybrids which are mature.  I have seen only ONE photo of his Butia Odorata x. Parajubaea Cocoides hybrid on PalmTalk and, although it was huge, it was still not trunking (...unless someone has taken a more recent photos of Dick's?).

Is Patric's email address still?:  coolhybrids@wildblue.net   ...or has this changed?

Finally, what is the consensus on PalmTalk about which of Patric's hybrid is the fastest-growing of all?  It appears that several people here have been collecting a range of Patric's hybrids over the past five years, so there must be a way to compare notes on this.

Please share your experiences to expand our collective knowledge of these rare hybrids.  Thanks!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal
2 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

The problem is finding photos of Patric's hybrids which are mature.  I have seen only ONE photo of his Butia Odorata x. Parajubaea Cocoides hybrid on PalmTalk and, although it was huge, it was still not trunking (...unless someone has taken a more recent photos of Dick's?).

Is Patric's email address still?:  coolhybrids@wildblue.net   ...or has this changed?

Finally, what is the consensus on PalmTalk about which of Patric's hybrid is the fastest-growing of all?  It appears that several people here have been collecting a range of Patric's hybrids over the past five years, so there must be a way to compare notes on this.

Please share your experiences to expand our collective knowledge of these rare hybrids.  Thanks!  

It's not just a problem of finding photos; some of his hybrids are that new that no trunking examples exist.  Patric told me last weekend that the biggest Butia x Allagoptera, for instance, is a small 5g.  There is no doubt that JxS is the fastest growing, but BxP (at least B. paraguayensis) is close.

You have the right address for Patric.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sandy Loam

Thanks Ben.

I am going to buy one, but nothing that has syagrus in it.  Are you suggesting that, in your experience, Patric's Butia Paraguayensis x Parajubaea Cocoides is faster growing than his Butia Odorata x Parajubaea Cocoides?  If so, has that been the experience of others too?

Again, thanks for the input.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sandy Loam

..... If so, that seems counterintuitive because Butia Paraguayensis is a dwarf butia.  The resulting hybrid must not grow very tall in full maturity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal
21 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

..... If so, that seems counterintuitive because Butia Paraguayensis is a dwarf butia.  The resulting hybrid must not grow very tall in full maturity.

We'll see but much faster than my B. odorata x P hybrid so far.  Much faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sandy Loam

As of today, I am the owner of one of Patric's BxPJC palms, albeit a small one.  So, is this a heat lover or a cool weather lover?  Rain lover or dry soil lover?  Full sun or partial sun/shade? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal
25 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

As of today, I am the owner of one of Patric's BxPJC palms, albeit a small one.  So, is this a heat lover or a cool weather lover?  Rain lover or dry soil lover?  Full sun or partial sun/shade? 

Nice!  I bet the dang thing would grow fast no matter what environment you gave it.  I irrigate as much as I can in the summer, and it does fine in lots of 100+ degree heat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
corsafafa

do you know if patric has new hybrids this year ???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
meteorologistpalmguy

Anybody know if Patric's contact info has changed?  I have emailed him three times in the past three months at the coolhybrids@****.net address, but have not gotten a response back from him.   Please PM if you can help.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sandy Loam

I don't know whether Patric's email address is still valid, but I do recall that he became unresponsive at one point, but then he reappeared again.  He may not check his email very often. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alicehunter2000

Does anyone that has purchased recently have the latest list?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
10 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Does anyone that has purchased recently have the latest list?

I purchased some over the summer, my impression is that he doesn't have a list, you just need to ask to see if he has what your looking for. As always patients is essential. 

.I've got a few more that I want to purchase when the weather starts to warm up this spring. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alicehunter2000

The smaller hybrids are starting to interest me more since I have a severe lack of space. Didn't I read that he has done a dwarf Butia x Lytocarium hybrid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alicehunter2000

Butia Paraguayensis....just scrolled up to see that it was with Parajubea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
9 minutes ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

The smaller hybrids are starting to interest me more since I have a severe lack of space. Didn't I read that he has done a dwarf Butia x Lytocarium hybrid?

I haven't seen any mature specimens of the Para crosses, to see if they indeed stay small. The only thing I have read is that the PARA X P.ssp are fast. Last I checked he did have B X LYTO wedd. Looking at Matt's it's a nice looking cross. 

Edited by RJ
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sandy Loam

I have one of Patric's  Butia x Parajubaea Cocoides.  I might need to transplant it elsewhere, but it has been planted in the ground for more than a year now.  Won't its roots be too spread out now to prevent damage or death if I transplant it?  I don't want to risk killing it.  It is still pretty small, but still...

Help!  I need advice.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josue Diaz
38 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

I have one of Patric's  Butia x Parajubaea Cocoides.  I might need to transplant it elsewhere, but it has been planted in the ground for more than a year now.  Won't its roots be too spread out now to prevent damage or death if I transplant it?  I don't want to risk killing it.  It is still pretty small, but still...

Help!  I need advice.

Thanks.

I moved mine last summer after it was in the ground 1 year. didn't miss a beat. make sure to dig as much soil with it as possible, then you could more easily shake off excess soil without cutting through roots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
18 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

I moved mine last summer after it was in the ground 1 year. didn't miss a beat. make sure to dig as much soil with it as possible, then you could more easily shake off excess soil without cutting through roots.

Any 2 year old pics of the kids ? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tropicdoc

I moved 2 of mine after a year in the ground but that was with a small excavator so I got a lot of dirt. They didn’t miss a beat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josue Diaz
On 3/8/2019 at 5:07 PM, RJ said:

Any 2 year old pics of the kids ? ;)

Here is mine. I need to weed that area and lay mulch down. 

20190310_162819.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
akaranus

Here is mine jubutiagrus..2yrs in ground from seedling size..send few mails to him but no answer..

20190311_122731.jpg

20190311_122711.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Patrick

Here's mine. Bought as a seedling at the Nor Cal Palm Society meeting that was at the house of Dick Douglas, whenever that was. Planted out in 2014 I believe? I have to keep the leaves trimmed up as to not block the driveway. Otherwise, I'd let them hang down

 

20190313_154117resized.jpg.f2ce51a9914754c1d78ec0ba183c7a05.jpg

20190313_154127resized.jpg.053a3abc951b96c44204f3c27dd45583.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca

Looking good Patrick!  And nice growth rate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merlyn2220

Brand new acquisitions!  Here are two of Patric's Jubaea x Butia Yatay and two Butia Yatay x Jubaea received tonight and stepped up from deep liners into 1 quart.  They are big strap-leaves around 8-9" with the tallest YxJ about 12."  I'll probably grow these in my nursery area for about a year before planting.  

P1040756 cropped.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave

Oh yeah, that meeting at Dick Douglas' house in 2010.

Roared up there in the Green Monster, and came back with some hybrids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave

Here’s my Jube X Butea about 10 feet overall 

BF7B1007-8484-420C-8BF4-FF9837C55847.thumb.jpeg.d4fdbe200c453762cca2973ba05d8e2d.jpegC5399432-625E-4558-9D3E-0609BC8547EB.thumb.jpeg.b38ab3237b06dc1c49f6325edc5eb998.jpeg

  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sandy Loam

:greenthumb:  Wow, those are really nice, DoomsDave and Patrick. 

 

Patrick, is your Jubaea x Butia x Syagrus?  It was juvenile in 2010?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal
4 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

Patrick, is your Jubaea x Butia x Syagrus?  It was juvenile in 2010?

Pretty sure that's a Butia x Parajubaea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal

I have waaaaaaay too many of Patric’s hybrids and the garden is too wet to go wandering around, but here’s a couple just to play. B paraguayensis x P cocoides and JxS. (My phone looks like it will post these in reverse.)

 

323F8E58-E841-494D-A58C-936D2FCA6C85.jpeg

C7E37808-35A6-45D9-8833-D5A185ED793E.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steve in Florida
On 12/5/2017 at 9:14 AM, meteorologistpalmguy said:

Anybody know if Patric's contact info has changed?  I have emailed him three times in the past three months at the coolhybrids@****.net address, but have not gotten a response back from him.   Please PM if you can help.  Thanks!

Heck, I placed a large $ order with him two years ago and never heard back from him. This was after many weeks of e-mailing back and forth just to find out what sizes he had available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
branislav

His email is coolhybrids@yahoo.com. Ask for the current list. Might take a day or two to respond but ships promptly on payment and packs the plants exceedingly well. I had two orders with him in the past 6 months and no problems whatsoever. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×