IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

lets talk about Patrick Schafer's X breeds....

trioderob

3 hours ago, yabazid said:

The new list would be nice guys 

There is no new list.  I checked in with Patric and he needs to work on one.  So, folks need to reach out to him individually.

Hope that helps!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

9 hours ago, corsafafa said:

patrick has a new list this year or not???

No. Last list: March 23, '15.

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 103°, Lo 71° - showers

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

• 6 months later...

BUMP! I'd love to see what some of yours have turned into over the years. 

These are the ones I have - from left to right:

Butia x Parajubaea Sunkha, Butia x Polyandrococos (A. caudescens), Butia x Syagrus romanzofianna

20170120_125723.thumb.jpg.c2209e986c2bad

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

BUMP! I'd love to see what some of yours have turned into over the years. 

These are the ones I have - from left to right:

Butia x Parajubaea Sunkha, Butia x Polyandrococos (A. caudescens), Butia x Syagrus romanzofianna

20170120_125723.thumb.jpg.c2209e986c2bad

That Butia x Parajubaea sunka is really nice!

sbpalms_banner1.png.6b44bf3d0d7c501ebff4

Didn't know he hybridized polyandrococos. That seems it would turn out very nice and have interesting fruit. That had to be expensive.

• 3 months later...

The problem is finding photos of Patric's hybrids which are mature.  I have seen only ONE photo of his Butia Odorata x. Parajubaea Cocoides hybrid on PalmTalk and, although it was huge, it was still not trunking (...unless someone has taken a more recent photos of Dick's?).

Is Patric's email address still?:  coolhybrids@wildblue.net   ...or has this changed?

Finally, what is the consensus on PalmTalk about which of Patric's hybrid is the fastest-growing of all?  It appears that several people here have been collecting a range of Patric's hybrids over the past five years, so there must be a way to compare notes on this.

Please share your experiences to expand our collective knowledge of these rare hybrids.  Thanks!  

2 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

The problem is finding photos of Patric's hybrids which are mature.  I have seen only ONE photo of his Butia Odorata x. Parajubaea Cocoides hybrid on PalmTalk and, although it was huge, it was still not trunking (...unless someone has taken a more recent photos of Dick's?).

Is Patric's email address still?:  coolhybrids@wildblue.net   ...or has this changed?

Finally, what is the consensus on PalmTalk about which of Patric's hybrid is the fastest-growing of all?  It appears that several people here have been collecting a range of Patric's hybrids over the past five years, so there must be a way to compare notes on this.

Please share your experiences to expand our collective knowledge of these rare hybrids.  Thanks!  

It's not just a problem of finding photos; some of his hybrids are that new that no trunking examples exist.  Patric told me last weekend that the biggest Butia x Allagoptera, for instance, is a small 5g.  There is no doubt that JxS is the fastest growing, but BxP (at least B. paraguayensis) is close.

You have the right address for Patric.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Thanks Ben.

I am going to buy one, but nothing that has syagrus in it.  Are you suggesting that, in your experience, Patric's Butia Paraguayensis x Parajubaea Cocoides is faster growing than his Butia Odorata x Parajubaea Cocoides?  If so, has that been the experience of others too?

Again, thanks for the input.

• Upvote 1

..... If so, that seems counterintuitive because Butia Paraguayensis is a dwarf butia.  The resulting hybrid must not grow very tall in full maturity.

21 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

..... If so, that seems counterintuitive because Butia Paraguayensis is a dwarf butia.  The resulting hybrid must not grow very tall in full maturity.

We'll see but much faster than my B. odorata x P hybrid so far.  Much faster.

Ben Rogers

• 2 weeks later...

As of today, I am the owner of one of Patric's BxPJC palms, albeit a small one.  So, is this a heat lover or a cool weather lover?  Rain lover or dry soil lover?  Full sun or partial sun/shade? 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

As of today, I am the owner of one of Patric's BxPJC palms, albeit a small one.  So, is this a heat lover or a cool weather lover?  Rain lover or dry soil lover?  Full sun or partial sun/shade? 

Nice!  I bet the dang thing would grow fast no matter what environment you gave it.  I irrigate as much as I can in the summer, and it does fine in lots of 100+ degree heat.

Ben Rogers

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Anybody know if Patric's contact info has changed?  I have emailed him three times in the past three months at the coolhybrids@****.net address, but have not gotten a response back from him.   Please PM if you can help.  Thanks!

I don't know whether Patric's email address is still valid, but I do recall that he became unresponsive at one point, but then he reappeared again.  He may not check his email very often. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Does anyone that has purchased recently have the latest list?

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

10 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Does anyone that has purchased recently have the latest list?

I purchased some over the summer, my impression is that he doesn't have a list, you just need to ask to see if he has what your looking for. As always patients is essential. 

.I've got a few more that I want to purchase when the weather starts to warm up this spring. 

The smaller hybrids are starting to interest me more since I have a severe lack of space. Didn't I read that he has done a dwarf Butia x Lytocarium hybrid?

Butia Paraguayensis....just scrolled up to see that it was with Parajubea

9 minutes ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

The smaller hybrids are starting to interest me more since I have a severe lack of space. Didn't I read that he has done a dwarf Butia x Lytocarium hybrid?

I haven't seen any mature specimens of the Para crosses, to see if they indeed stay small. The only thing I have read is that the PARA X P.ssp are fast. Last I checked he did have B X LYTO wedd. Looking at Matt's it's a nice looking cross. 

Edited by RJ
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I have one of Patric's  Butia x Parajubaea Cocoides.  I might need to transplant it elsewhere, but it has been planted in the ground for more than a year now.  Won't its roots be too spread out now to prevent damage or death if I transplant it?  I don't want to risk killing it.  It is still pretty small, but still...

Help!  I need advice.

Thanks.

38 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

I have one of Patric's  Butia x Parajubaea Cocoides.  I might need to transplant it elsewhere, but it has been planted in the ground for more than a year now.  Won't its roots be too spread out now to prevent damage or death if I transplant it?  I don't want to risk killing it.  It is still pretty small, but still...

Help!  I need advice.

Thanks.

I moved mine last summer after it was in the ground 1 year. didn't miss a beat. make sure to dig as much soil with it as possible, then you could more easily shake off excess soil without cutting through roots.

18 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

I moved mine last summer after it was in the ground 1 year. didn't miss a beat. make sure to dig as much soil with it as possible, then you could more easily shake off excess soil without cutting through roots.

Any 2 year old pics of the kids ? ;)

I moved 2 of mine after a year in the ground but that was with a small excavator so I got a lot of dirt. They didn’t miss a beat.

On 3/8/2019 at 5:07 PM, RJ said:

Any 2 year old pics of the kids ? ;)

Here is mine. I need to weed that area and lay mulch down. 

20190310_162819.jpg

• Like 1

Here is mine jubutiagrus..2yrs in ground from seedling size..send few mails to him but no answer..

20190311_122731.jpg

20190311_122711.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

www.mediterraneannature.com

Here's mine. Bought as a seedling at the Nor Cal Palm Society meeting that was at the house of Dick Douglas, whenever that was. Planted out in 2014 I believe? I have to keep the leaves trimmed up as to not block the driveway. Otherwise, I'd let them hang down

20190313_154117resized.jpg.f2ce51a9914754c1d78ec0ba183c7a05.jpg

20190313_154127resized.jpg.053a3abc951b96c44204f3c27dd45583.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Brand new acquisitions!  Here are two of Patric's Jubaea x Butia Yatay and two Butia Yatay x Jubaea received tonight and stepped up from deep liners into 1 quart.  They are big strap-leaves around 8-9" with the tallest YxJ about 12."  I'll probably grow these in my nursery area for about a year before planting.  

P1040756 cropped.JPG

• Like 2

Oh yeah, that meeting at Dick Douglas' house in 2010.

Roared up there in the Green Monster, and came back with some hybrids.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here’s my Jube X Butea about 10 feet overall 

BF7B1007-8484-420C-8BF4-FF9837C55847.thumb.jpeg.d4fdbe200c453762cca2973ba05d8e2d.jpegC5399432-625E-4558-9D3E-0609BC8547EB.thumb.jpeg.b38ab3237b06dc1c49f6325edc5eb998.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

:greenthumb:  Wow, those are really nice, DoomsDave and Patrick. 

Patrick, is your Jubaea x Butia x Syagrus?  It was juvenile in 2010?

4 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

Patrick, is your Jubaea x Butia x Syagrus?  It was juvenile in 2010?

Pretty sure that's a Butia x Parajubaea.

Ben Rogers

I have waaaaaaay too many of Patric’s hybrids and the garden is too wet to go wandering around, but here’s a couple just to play. B paraguayensis x P cocoides and JxS. (My phone looks like it will post these in reverse.)

323F8E58-E841-494D-A58C-936D2FCA6C85.jpeg

C7E37808-35A6-45D9-8833-D5A185ED793E.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On 12/5/2017 at 9:14 AM, meteorologistpalmguy said:

Anybody know if Patric's contact info has changed?  I have emailed him three times in the past three months at the coolhybrids@****.net address, but have not gotten a response back from him.   Please PM if you can help.  Thanks!

Heck, I placed a large $ order with him two years ago and never heard back from him. This was after many weeks of e-mailing back and forth just to find out what sizes he had available.

His email is coolhybrids@yahoo.com. Ask for the current list. Might take a day or two to respond but ships promptly on payment and packs the plants exceedingly well. I had two orders with him in the past 6 months and no problems whatsoever. 

• Like 3

• 3 years later...
On 1/27/2012 at 3:09 AM, trioderob said:

here is his list

I have removed prices and other info so as to not piss off anyone and

to try to stay in line with what the mods expect from me as far as general forum posting rules:

BXJ

JXB

BJXJ

BJXB

BJ X Q

JXBJ

J X Q

BXQ

B. PARAGUYENSIS X QUEEN

YATAY X Q

YATAY X J

YATAY X LYTOCAREUM , Not available yet

B X PJ COCOIDES only available in 4X10”

B xPJ Tortor , Not presently available

B.Paraguyensis X COCOIDES , Not ready yet

Q X B

Q X BJ

Trachycarpus wag

Jubaea , ask

B. Paraguyensis

PHONIX X MISCELLANOUS

Hello, After a couple of mail exchanges with Patrick Schaefer and After having sent him my order I don't have any more any response from Patrick Schaefer, is this something comon???

This is pretty strange he leaves his clients without notice.

I keep on mailing him but still no response!!!!

Anyhow, I was looking for the following palm seeds or seedlings, does anyone know any other source to get those???

Thanks.

Jubutia X Jubaea

Butia YATAY X  Jubaea

Jubaea x Butia YATAY

Jubaea x syagrus romanzofiana

Syagrus romanzofiana x Jubaea 

Butia eriospatha x Jubaea

Jubaea x Butia eriospatha

On 1/25/2012 at 10:42 PM, Alberto said:

Jubeutia F2

Jubutyagrus

Butia X P.cocoides

Queen X Jubaea

Queen x Jubaeopsis

Butia yatay X Allagoptera arenaria

Queen x Lytocaryum wed.

Who sold you the Queen x Jubaeopsis?

Thanks

Hello, After a couple of mail exchanges with Patrick Schaefer and After having sent him my order I don't have any more any response from Patrick Schaefer, is this something comon???

This is pretty strange he leaves his clients without notice.

I keep on mailing him but still no response!!!!

Anyhow, I was looking for the following palm seeds or seedlings, does anyone know any other source to get those???

Thanks.

Jubutia X Jubaea

Butia YATAY X  Jubaea

Jubaea x Butia YATAY

Jubaea x syagrus romanzofiana

Syagrus romanzofiana x Jubaea 

Butia eriospatha x Jubaea

Jubaea x Butia eriospatha