IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My new garden - Ovar - January/2012

Rafael

Hello all!

After some new palms planted (dypsis fine leaf, euterpe edulis, syagrus sancona, dypsis baroni, chamaedorea oblongata, chamaedorea woodsoniana, chamaedorea plumosa and ceroxylon ventricosum), i had to remove giant weeds all around.

And after that i had to mulch properly.

Thats what i did, well, the gardener :winkie:

post-3292-0-62248600-1376948836_thumb.jp

post-3292-0-96655600-1376948881_thumb.jp

post-3292-0-84598200-1376948909_thumb.jp

post-3292-0-78373200-1376948939_thumb.jp

post-3292-0-40566100-1376948966_thumb.jp

post-3292-0-74793700-1376948991_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Looking great Rafael!!! :) Once they grow some more and the first layer of the fastest palms goes up,its gonna look real nice!

Time for some filler plants as well! :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Excellent idea, that mulch, Rafael. Your palms will like it for sure.

What kind of mulch is it?

Sebastian, garden on La Palma island, 370 m (1200 feet) above sea level / USDA Zone 11/12 ; Heat zone IV / V

Record High: 42°C (107F) / Record Low: 9°C (48°F). Rain: 600 mm (24 inches) per year with dry/wet seasons. Warm Season: July-November / Cool Season: December-June
Warmest month (August/September) average minimum temperature : 21°C (70°F) / Warmest month (August/September) average maximum temperature : 28°C (82°F)
Coldest month (February/March) average minimum temperature : 14,5°C (58°F) / Coldest month (February/March) average maximum temperature : 21°C (70°F)

Temperature of the sea : minimum of 20°C (68°F) in march, maximum of 25°C (77°F) in September/October.

Mulch is great for the plants,you will love it :) No mud with it either,no matter how much it rains!

Looks great Rafael, things are really taking shape and growing good, if you happen to have a pic of Chamaedore pulmosa would love to see it.

• 1 month later...

Please keep us photo updated as to the progress of your garden. Looks like you got some good wind protection there...gonna be a nice microclimate once the palms get bigger. Ever think about making a walking/seating path that meanders through the garden?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I missed seeing this second palm garden of yours until recently. Rafael, you are already addicted I can see! Probably too late for any cure now so you might as well enjoy your affliction. LOL Incorporating the use of tile into a palm garden can be very attractive and it's a part of the culture of the region so don't listen to those who might "tease" about its overuse. You certainly have planted a variety of nice palms but I don't see where you put your Lodoicea!

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Rafael, you'll try something out Trachycarpus or Butia?

Not in this garden, where i choose more tender stuff.

I am growing butia and trachicarpus in my other yard. You can check the link below :)

Looks great Rafael, things are really taking shape and growing good, if you happen to have a pic of Chamaedore pulmosa would love to see it.

I have two plumosa, one bigger. I will tape a photo soon and show here, among others :)

Please keep us photo updated as to the progress of your garden. Looks like you got some good wind protection there...gonna be a nice microclimate once the palms get bigger. Ever think about making a walking/seating path that meanders through the garden?

Yes i thought about that, but i have decided to create a Ralph Velez style :D so i must leave it with no room for that :D

I missed seeing this second palm garden of yours until recently. Rafael, you are already addicted I can see! Probably too late for any cure now so you might as well enjoy your affliction. LOL Incorporating the use of tile into a palm garden can be very attractive and it's a part of the culture of the region so don't listen to those who might "tease" about its overuse. You certainly have planted a variety of nice palms but I don't see where you put your Lodoicea!

Hey Al, missed you! And missing too our stay in Thailand!

No tiles at all Al, just a few non-palm plants. And no worries about inteligent and cute "tease", from friends :)

I wish i could try Lodoicea :)

You have an amazingly mild climate for so far north. Furadouro looks like an area for serious surfing, and there seem to be shoe factories north of you, toward Porto (a couple of years ago, I ordered a pair of shoes, then tracked the box as it went from Portugal to Spain to England to New York to Florida). Other people must be planting palm gardens.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 1 month later...

You have an amazingly mild climate for so far north. Furadouro looks like an area for serious surfing, and there seem to be shoe factories north of you, toward Porto (a couple of years ago, I ordered a pair of shoes, then tracked the box as it went from Portugal to Spain to England to New York to Florida). Other people must be planting palm gardens.

Furadouro is an excellent place for surfing, but we dont have the bigger waves as in Nazare (recent world record).

Yes we do have lots of shoe factorys, exporting all over the world. But i choose spanish shoes :)

• 2 months later...

It looks like Nongnooch, seen from the top of the tower...haha

• Upvote 1

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Rafael, that's some growth on those palms! What fertilizer are you using on them?

Continued success.

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Rafael, that's some growth on those palms! What fertilizer are you using on them?

Continued success.

Peter

Peter, i am using fertilizer sold by rarepalmseeds - Pro Palm Fertilizer.

Thank you! :)

Rafael,

I see lots of green and very happy palms! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

• 4 weeks later...

In the middle of January something bad happened in my little yard. This is a space with 3 mts elevation relatively to the neighbour's terrain (mine has 100 m2, the neighbour's 1100 m2). And this elevation was increased in the last 10 years, due to digging operations made in the neighbour's soil.

After more than 40 back to back days raining, a part of my wall tumbled down and the small building i have on the border of my space has been about to fall but it is still there.

A big hole (1mt large) is now next to where the downfall happened and a couple of palms are threatned (ceroxylons and kentia).

In the meanwhile, i have a civil engineer team working on what to do.

The good new is that i will be able to build a new wall without bother the integrity of my actual yard.

And better, I will have the domain over the 1100 m2 yard, in the next couple of weeks.

So, in very few time, i will enlarge my yard from 100 to 1200 m2.

Pics and news soon ;)

Looking very lush Rafael

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Bittersweet Rafael. I am sorry about your wall, but what a way to expand your garden...ten times the size! Have fun! But be careful when you plant until you are sure the land is yours!!

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Ah,they will be fine Rafael,Ceroxylon and Howea take root disturbance without too much problem. So good news after all,you got a nice new lot in a great climate,to fill at your heart's desire!!! :drool:

I am very happy for your and wish the palms at the hole's edge are and remain ok till its fixed,and they indeed should be fine :)

Are you thinking of expanding to include tropical fruit trees,cycads,etc now that the terrain got so much larger? Many are as easy as plant,water for a year and leave to fend for themselves,which saves time and water :)

In the middle of January something bad happened in my little yard. This is a space with 3 mts elevation relatively to the neighbour's terrain (mine has 100 m2, the neighbour's 1100 m2). And this elevation was increased in the last 10 years, due to digging operations made in the neighbour's soil.

After more than 40 back to back days raining, a part of my wall tumbled down and the small building i have on the border of my space has been about to fall but it is still there.

A big hole (1mt large) is now next to where the downfall happened and a couple of palms are threatned (ceroxylons and kentia).

In the meanwhile, i have a civil engineer team working on what to do.

The good new is that i will be able to build a new wall without bother the integrity of my actual yard.

And better, I will have the domain over the 1100 m2 yard, in the next couple of weeks.

So, in very few time, i will enlarge my yard from 100 to 1200 m2.

Pics and news soon ;)

Then why do you want to build a new wall and not just wait until you level up your new property?

Edited by Phoenikakias

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Troy, Peter, Kostas, Konstantinos and Rob!

Peter, i wont plant before that, but i have the stuff ready ;)

Kostas, later i will decide what to plant more, firstly have to watch how it performs in the winter down there :)

Konstantinos, i am not allowed to improve the ground level more than 1,5 mts, but i think it is enough :)

• 3 weeks later...

Nice additions to the garden Rafael

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

• 1 month later...

Olá boa noite.

Agora sim, já consegui ver os dois jardins e um pouco da sua história.

Parabéns, estão a ficar espectaculares. Está mesmo com aspecto tropical.

Tenho pena que e meu clima apesar de mais a sul ser mais frio ao ponte de não poder ter Rostoneas e Euterpes...

Um dia gostaria de poder fazer uma visita, se possível.

Já falei com Jason Baker. Ele diz que tem palmeiras para venda. Tenho que lhe fazer uma visita também.

Obrigado pelos testemunhos.

É muito bom conhecer pessoas assim. Principalmente quando são "vizinhas"...

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Now the wall is rebuilt i have some more space to plant. During the work some palms felt down and i lost a 15 gal rophalostylis baueri. The other palms are safe and will be planted in the yard below.

In a couple of days i will add some palms to this space and upload some pics.

Stay tuned :)

post-3292-0-31191200-1408565186_thumb.jp