IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My new garden - Ovar - January/2012

Rafael

As many of you have read these recent days, i have received, from heritage, a new house, 5km inland from where i live (900 mts apart from sea line).

This house has a small garden, which has a mild microclimate, comparing to my main garden (where, for example, a cunninghamiana is frost and freeze damaged without canopy).

From my first researches, i know now that this new garden is four celsius degrees (and 7,5F degrees) above mine, concerning to minimum. These colder days, when we had 29,5F in my house's garden, this other one had 37F.

Besides that, it has north and west edifice protection.

And it has a resticted solar exposure mainly in winter. Some shade lover palms will be grown here, in a couple of months/years.

Firstly i will grow some fast palms. Later plant below its canopy. Howea, Ceroxylon, Rophie, Juania, bangalow, bizzie...

First palms on deck

post-3292-055556900 1326759699_thumb.jpg

In the ground - Parajubaea tt, Queen, Liv. Australis, Date, Sabal causarium and jubaea

post-3292-024213000 1326759774_thumb.jpg

With dypsis decipiens

post-3292-050652300 1326759850_thumb.jpg

Wow, Rafael, you wasted no time with the grass. :) Nice work, planting those palms. I am very happy for you. Will you live in the house, or is it a vacation home? It sounds like a very good climate for you.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Wow, great work........makes me feel lazy.... I have a new garden to build but nothing like that!

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Hurry up and finish this garden Rafael so I can move in. Looks funny seeing a portugese garden that isnt one plant and 2 hectares of tiles.

Peachy

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Hurry up and finish this garden Rafael so I can move in. Looks funny seeing a portugese garden that isnt one plant and 2 hectares of tiles.

Peachy

Don't start me! When I was living in France, I visited Portugal with some friends. One of them had an unbeknownst to me tile fetish. I was trying to look at the gorgeous palms and scenery and spent my entire time getting dragged from one place to another to check out bloody tiles.

After three days of this, I was ready to wall to wall carpet and wood-panel Lisbon!

Nice start there, Rafael! Keep us apprised.......

Cheers,

Adam

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

what is the building in the 1st 2 pix? a garage?

the yard is bigger than i thought it would be!

what are you going to do for ground cover?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Everything looks great !!! i have thought too to remove the lawn and cover the ground with gravels or pine bark but i haven't do it until now maybe the following spring . The strelitzia you got there is the Mandelas gold ? cause the flower looks to me like yellow .

If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably never do much of anything.

Western Greece zone 9b

Rafael,

Wow, great start! And a quick one! Always good to get the palms in the ground as quickly as possible. Looking forward to more! :)

Aloha,

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Luv it so far! :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks you all, and yes, i was fast doing the convertion, mainly cause i had no more room to protect palms, and then decided to move almost everything potted. Some of my potted palms could not handle outside in my main garden, but can in this other one. Meanwhile, i decided to act immediately over the garden, and i am glad with it.

Kim - this will be a future week-end house, but first i have lots of work to do, as my kids and i want many changes before start moving.

Peachy - i will take just a few more weeks, and will let you know :winkie: . Btw, the portuguese concept of gardening is changing by my hand, so no tiles anymore :D

Paul - That's just a small outbuilding, where i will organize all gardening stuff. For ground cover, this time, i will use just mulch (pine tree bark). No more needs for constant irrigation, that was enough, when some of my palms have to support it, and dont like it, like parajubaea, jubaea, sabal, brahea...

Dimitris - There were two strelitzias here, but not any more. :rolleyes:

Braden - thanks, that's your qualified taste, good to hear :)

Tim - :lol:

Soon more updating!

• 1 month later...

Bravo Rafael, and we wait in the future other photos

according to the new plantations.

Best regards

Patrick

"Fous de Palmiers" France

• 3 weeks later...

I must say Raf, that is one solid plant out..Love it

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Peachy - i will take just a few more weeks, and will let you know :winkie: . Btw, the portuguese concept of gardening is changing by my hand, so no tiles anymore :D

Tim - :lol:

Soon more updating!

Ah what fun a brand new canvas to play on, its looking good I love the enthusiasm to get those thing in, everyone should have a date palm, a mans soul left standing proudly long after he's gone.

But Oh and Awe and there I was envisaging a beautiful white washed wall with a line or six of stunning shinny blue/green tiles right around with mounted terracotta pots at intervals on its face (micro climate for ferns and orchids) a small window framing the ocean view through the palm trunks.......laugh.gif I love some tiles think Morrocco, Yves Saint Laurent, Alambra and of course Gaudi. Here in Hong Kong if you have a small garden its usually a square of cracking concrete adorned with green slime and a dead pot plant serving as a lovely little hypoxic swamp for shimmering mosquito larva, dengue on the wing.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

Have fun with you new garden, Rafael, and I know you'll be putting on periodic updates. It'll be fascinating watching your palms grow and passing that love on to your children.

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Wal, Cedric and Peter for your kind coments!

I have been planting some more stuff.

Cunninghamiana tranplanted from my other garden, showing some winter damage. On the right, illawara, next to small double decipiens

post-3292-083569500 1333266130_thumb.jpg

Rophie sapida transplanted - hope it will make it through

post-3292-001070400 1333266205_thumb.jpg

Rophie baueri transplanted on the left, next to sabal causarium

post-3292-072881400 1333266306_thumb.jpg

General view

post-3292-087494800 1333266382_thumb.jpg

Thats all, so far :)

Stop putting secondhand palms into my new garden Rafael. Dont be so stingy. Buy new palms. And dont forget to leave room for the tiles. :P

Peachy

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Excellent transformation Rafael!!! Well done!drool.gif

I think you did well to transplant palms that burned annually at your other garden to your better climate one. I would grow the more tender species in this garden and leave the cold hardy ones for the worse climate one. Thats what i am doing in Pyrgos,planting mostly tender species and leaving the cold hardier ones i like for the main garden i will make which might not have as good a climate as Pyrgossmilie.gif That way you get to grow and enjoy more speciessmilie.gif

Its also good to have a variety of different plant families in a garden as it makes for a more natural looking and jungle like garden if correctly planned but that of course if a matter of personal preferencesmilie.gif

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

• 4 months later...

Love to see an entire garden photo Raf, maybe get up on one of the walls ? Speaking of which, the walls look like they will help to create your micro climate effect. I love the idea of the Roystonea and Howea plantings. Thanks for the update..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thank u all!

This garden felt in my hands when i knew some tips about palms and that made some difference from the first one.

But i am still afraid of some losses in the coming winter.

Wal, this one is an almost entire garden photo :winkie:

post-3292-0-91574600-1352070479_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...