IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dictyocaryum lamarkianum

Dypsisdean

I just spent the last five hours clearing enough forest and digging holes for three nice 5 gal Dictyocaryum lamarckianum. (Lava is great for growing, but not for digging.) Some have called it the most beautiful palm in the world. I wouldn't go that far, but the pics I have seen on the web are impressive.

Since it comes from as high as 6000 ft, I'm surprised it hasn't been grown more. Has anyone had any experience growing it, or have you seen any mature trees? Or better yet, any pics?

I think it was Masoala Jason from the old forum who posted an awesome pic a while back, but I don't think he has re-registered.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Dean,

They do very well here, and I'm sure they'll do fine for you as well, considering their natural habitat. I don't have a good full-view shot of any of mine. For now, this is as good as it gets.

Bo

post-22-1152513540_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Close-up of the spike. Both of these photos were taken several months ago. Not sure if it's the same individual.

post-22-1152513612_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And here's another one I took just about two weeks ago.

post-22-1152513726_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bo,

I knew you would have some. Those pics have me salivating. How old are those and from what size? Jeff M. told me they are "touchy." Have you lost any?

Kona, on The Big Island

Dean,

I have about 18, most of them planted in 1998 and 1999 from 4 inch and 1G pots (=small!). I know Jeff considers them touchy, not sure why. I've lost a total of 2, several years ago. I believe they dried out when they were still fairly small. They're certainly not fast, but not particularly slow either. Probably about a 4 on a 1-10 scale.

Bo

I germinated a few a few years back. Rats like them and I lost a lot. Anyway I was down to one and it was looking good. Then our weather went psychotic and we went from 42C to 18C max in about 3 days and it just had a heart attack and died. Poor little thing. I was actually very sad to see it go, and the others the rats ate.

They seem to be touchy with wild variations in temp and humidity. As they are equatorial montane palms, they can not handle much variation at all. Outside of there native habitat, Hawaii would be a very good place for them with much more consistent year round dependable palm loving weather. They'd probably be good high altitude palms for mountain parts of Hawaii I'd think, especially if it was the rainy side of the mountains.

If you can grow it, do it.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Nice palm Bo.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

That's one palm that I wish would grow here. I tried with 2-5 gallon's that never made it. BUMMER!!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

I saw Dictocaryum lamarckianum in wild.-  Nice palm but to say is "the most beautifull of the world" is too much.- Any Dypsis is best.-

The enviroiment is all year very humid, high altitude rainforest with middle (22, 23° C) not so high temperature, zero wind.- As happen with Iriartea deltoidea and Socrateas, first grow in understory of the forest.-

I would compare the looking of Dictyocarium and Iriartea with Caryotas.-

Gaston,Ar

I suppose they'd make it here in So-Cal if you gave them enough humidity, but I've killed every one I've had.

ALso, I know they HATE having their roots disturbed.

Let us know how you do, dd

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Two of my biggest specimens

post-22-1152583763_thumb.jpg

Bo,

Those are awesome. I know Socretea gets a little blue on the crownshaft. Are there any others? I would have to think they couldn't be more blue than those.

Kona, on The Big Island

Dean,

Here's my bluest Socratea (a S. exorrhiza). There's a lot of variability, and most of them are not quite this striking.

Bo

post-22-1152599009_thumb.jpg

Dean,

Forgot to answer your question. I can't think of any others that even come close to this kind of blue.

Bo

Here's another (much taller) S. exorrhiza. Still nice color, but not quite as outstanding (I think).

post-22-1152599234_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Doink!

Dean, how about an update?

What did you plant?

I sure hope puts up some more pics . . . .

(Pant pant pant pant pant [etc])

dave (pant!)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.