IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Driving nails into queen palm trunks

insipidtoast

Hi,

Can you hammer nails into the trunk of queen palms in order to get vines to grow up their trunk, or will that kill the palms?

ive used electrical fasteners to hook orchids on queens before. the nails only go in about an inch but the tree didnt mind.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

The gaffs that the tree trimmers use are huge spikes. They scar up the trunks but the palms never seem to do badly from it.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Copper in large amounts is toxic, steel nails rust and discolor the trunk (even galvanized nails), all nail penetrations are a potential site for infection. Try hot glue with a bit of nylon line as a tie. If you must use nails, stainless steel siding nails would be the least bad choice. :)

San Francisco, California

Landscapers have been driving there metal spikes into palms for quite awhile as well as nails to keep guards on them to protect from the animals. I would assume a few nails will not be a problem in a mature palm. Here is a couple photo's I posted in a previous post of a coconut palm on Molokai HI. Instant ladder with quite a few nails. None however seem to be copper.

post-1930-001308800 1326601636_thumb.jpg

post-1930-012968400 1326602000_thumb.jpg

Aren't palms a bit like trees? You won't harm them much with screws or nails but if you wrap something around the trunk and "girdle" it you will kill it.

I once drilled a hole completely through a large branch of my parents tree -- that had split wide open after cold weather. Then I put a great big lag bolt through with the biggest washers I could find and clamped it back together. It worked and it healed and grew over the bolt which I just left in the tree. Of course that wasn't a palm.

Also I used to work as an electrician and I've seen various lights mounted on date palms with screws.

Palms are different than regular trees. Palms move food/water through random areas inside the whole trunk where trees move food/water through the outer ring of the trunk. That's why you will see strangler figs completely wrap around a palm and not kill it. Same reason why you can't graft a palm.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Palms are monocots. They also can not "compartmentalize" meaning that if they get injured I.E. spikes, nails, any damage to the trunk, they will not heal themselves. Thats why you will always see the same wounds on a palm trunk. If you trim an Oak tree for example it will heal itself by growing over the wound. So with that being said, if you drive a nail into a palm it leaves that hole open for anything like rot, fungus, or pests to get in and damage the tree or kill it. Just don't do anything to the tree that you wouldn't do to yourself like driving a nail into it and you will be fine!

You can try other things like bungee cording some wood to the trunk that way you can nail into that or wrap the vine around the trunk and tie it with string until it can climb for itself. just don't leave the string on for over a year cause the trunk will expand and cause a mark in the trunk

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!