IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

photos of damage

STEVE IN SO CAL

Here's some shots...I'm in a hurry, so no blow by blow. Included are: Rav Glauca(looks happy for now), ensetes w/rhopies, jubaeopsis, tupidanthus,paratortor,unk livistona,dyp decipiens,arc.beatrice,wee hedyscepe that was ice covered from irrigation.

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

This is my "A" zone...lots of concrete, pool, adobe house, on top of the hill. Low of 27, with many hours of duration. Low of 30 on Monday, with few hours duration.

Sorry to see this Steve.

What's worrisome to me now is this 'event' is MALingering.

The next few mornings still look to be rather cold too.

I have lots of rocks on the property but it's not warm enough in the day to collect sufficient heat.

-Ron-

-Ron-

Please click my Inspired button. http://yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=384

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

That's what I'm finding too, Ron. This morning got to 34 by my pool...no heat to give after a week of this.

Steve...what does the spear look like on that royal? (I assume it's a royal-10th pic down)).

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

steve your r.glauca looks like it wasn't damaged.

i have one quite a bit smaller that is unscathed,as well,

although the dypsis st.lucei right next to it is toast.

those r.glaucas are amazing,i think i'm going to plant more when this is all over.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Steve-  what a beautiful house and great view!  If you ignore the bananas, it doesn't look so horrendous. (Well, I did say "ouch!" at a few of the pics.)  You have a lot of survivors there!  Plant more of them.  Chin up, stiff upper lip, old man, spring will come, buck up now. Carry on.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

John...that's an archantophoenix "beatrice"

Paul...I'm hopeful, but holding a leaflet up to the light shows cell damage...waiting for the brown

Kim...Yes, some stuff is ramblin right along. Seems it's human nature to want the stuff we can't have.

And this is my best zone...zone B saw 20 degrees, zone C saw mid-teens. ouch

Steve,

I have no experience with cold damage, but I dare to say that I think every plant in your photos has a decent chance of recovering.  Even those ensete's have what look to be live stems.  

I recently had an Ae Ae banana blow over in the wind, and the crown was sitting in a Caryota gigas so I cut the entire top of the thing off about 3 feet below the leaves.  Since then there is about half of a new leaf already emerged from the stem that is still lying there on the ground with only about 1/10 of the roots in the ground that it once had (and that's with this cold weather).  Bananas are tough.  And the only palm there that really looks THAT bad is the King.

Who knows, maybe the latent effects will kill of of our palms by spring time, but for now I think there's a lot of hope.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Steve,

I agree with Matt.  I've seen worse and the plants pulled through.  The only one that looks questionable is the palm in the 10th photo down.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Steve,

Man, it looks pretty grim, but most of your things should recover.  I notice you have a Jubiopsis and it looks like it's in the open.  Do you have a rough estimate of what the minimum was there?  I have one about the same size that I put in the ground last summer.  Mine probably got 25F on Dec 19th, but I protected it the second bout of freeze. So far mine looks ok.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick, it was covered with a quilt....

Steve,

I also am no tropical plant cold damage expert.  But, I think you will have pretty good chances of a rebound for most of your plants.  It would be mentally rewarding to get out the machete and hack down the bananas fast.  Since they look the worst and will also rebound fast from the rhyzomes I think it would be mentally rewarding to get those brown burned banana leaves out of sight.  Gook luck.  I like your garden furniture by the way.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Steve,

Your glauca is a beauty - look at the white stems on it, peeking out from the emerald foliage.  What a palm!  I wish I had about 20 of them.  At least :D

How cold did it get?  My guess is, it will probably show any damage fairly quickly, if it's damaged at all.  Could you update us on it?

Years ago, mine took 27 under a blankie and didn't get one spot.

Btw, what is the palm in photo #9?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Don...I split about 3 cords of firewood on tuesday with a log splitter. That got out a lot of frustration...banana leaves go today.

Sunny...I USE to have about 250 glauca...maybe if lucky I have about 30-40 left. The one in the pic is slowly turning color  :(   I'll post an after pic soon.

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Jan. 17 2007,15:02)

IMG_0245.jpg

Steve-

How did the Travellers (that appears to be near the house in the above pic) fare?

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Larry, you could roll the leaves and smoke them, but the trunk is fine.