IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Building my new house

bgl

And one of my favorite parts - the outdoor shower! :)

I have always wanted one of these.

Thanks for sharing the progress Bo. Always fun to follow threads like this.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Len,

Thanks a lot! And just imagine how much fun this is for me! :) The exterior has been complete for about a week now. Only interior work left to be done. Here's the front. And tomorrow, March 16th, will be exactly four months since Kevin and crew began staking out where house should be placed. See second photo in Post #2 on page 1. Photo taken from the exact same spot as the photo in this post.

Bo-Göran

post-22-096482300 1331875765_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Is there any extra land adjacent to your lot in case you want to get carried away again. :D

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Is there any extra land adjacent to your lot in case you want to get carried away again. :D

"Get carried away again" - great concept and I like your way of thinking! :rolleyes: The short answer is "yes". And let me try to explain it a bit more. These are typical Leilani Estates lots, in that each lot is 100 ft wide by the street and 436 ft deep. About 90% of the 2042 properties here are shaped exactly like that. The street (Pomaikai Street) runs North-South, so the long boundary lines (436 ft) are on my northern and southern boundary lines.

North of me: my neighbor Paul and Hannah and they have a house there. No way to expand in that direction.

South of me: a vacant acre, and then south that vacant acre, Stewart, who is a carpenter (and his services come in handy every now and then). This vacant acre is directly "behind" Kim's property. (West of it). If it were to come on the market, I wouldn't mind buying it. Could come in handy! :mrlooney:

West of me is Pomaikai Street, so no room for expansion in that direction.

East of me, and since I have two lots, two properties, and I am sharing a 100 ft boundary line with each of those two properties. The southern one belongs to my great neighbors Dave and Greg (who also are Kim's neighbors, being immediately north of her place). No way to expand there. The other acre, just north of them, is another vacant acre, and I know that they would really like to buy that acre if it were to come on the market. Simply for privacy reasons and to prevent someone else from buying it, clearing it, and building a house there. In the name of good relations between neighbors I wouldn't be all that inclined to buying this acre and then partly clear it and landscape it. As it is now, it's very dense with ohia trees and other vegetation and leaving it like that is fine with me.

And that would be the long version! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

• 2 weeks later...

BO!

Just go totally hawgwild. Buy disconnected acreage and plant away . . .

I'll even donate seeds!

But, even better, show us the inside of your new pleasure palace. . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Bo im really good at sitting and drinking outside so if you want me to come over and show you how to enjoy that lanai id be happy to do so! :D

Hmmm, I'll be doing that tonight. The weather will be in the mid 50's, so we'll be sitting around a fire, drinking lots of drinks, eating some fresh caught, smoked fish dip and pizza. Andrea actually is making two pitchers of the famous drink of Brazil( and for the life of me, can't spell it!) which is made from Brazlian cane rum, limes and simple syrup. Eight of us in all.

BO....I'll be thinking of you and will raise a glass in your name! :lol:

Jeff, it is caipirinha, made of cachaça (the brazilian national spirit which is different from rum as it is distilled from cane mash not molasses, limes, and sugar). I skip the sugar part, and often skip the limes as well.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Bo,

Thanks for the your house building report. It looks like a great house in a great place. I have a bunch of lumber that has been laying around for a few years that I plan on finally using. One part will be to expand my house in town and add a bedroom and a kitchen off the back. The other is to get some better structure at the country place. I plan on doing most of the construction by myself with a little outside help. Since some of the pieces I have are 10 cm x 20 cm x 6.5 meter long hardwood timbers I certainly will not be able to install them by myself. Your use of the native trees looks great.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

You will have to do a pictorial like Bo did, when you start construction.

What I think would be interesting is a pictorial of your furniture biz. Start with raw lumber, noting the species etc, show design plans and the cutting and assembly. It would be cool to see something go from tree to finished product.

And Bo, we can never get enough pics of your new place. The commentary is always great and interesting.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Dave, Don and Jerry, thanks a lot for your comments. Buying more acreage right now - not exactly a priority. I think I'll be busy on my two acres for a while! :) And Kevin, my contractor, is putting the finishing touches on the house today and tomorrow and it should be ready for me to move in after that. Before I mess it up with my stuff I will take photos and post here. :)

Bo-Göran

EDIT - and Don, thanks a lot for your comment earlier today on my blog! :)

Jerry,

That sounds like a good project. I will put it together. I have a rather primative shop. But, it has the necessary tools and the craftsman to make a good product. As thing progress I intend on getting the right tools and a better place. The one I am at I pay rent to use the tools and the space. Anyway it is interesting to see an ugly old board turn into a beautiful piece of furniture.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg