Keith in SoJax

?? Pseudophoenix cold tolerance in Central FL, USA

Keith in SoJax

I'm interested in comparing freeze damage to Pseudophoenix species vs Roystonea species in Central FL. Thats not to say if you have experience from some other location that it doesn't matter, but I'm going to be growing them in Central FL so thats why I'm most interested in experiences from there. How about vs Foxtail? I couldnt find anything in the freeze damage forum.

mike2748

I have Foxtails in Lake Wales FL frost burns the folage badly, 25-26 for 4 hours kills then and squirrel eat the seedlings

_Rich

I'm about 10 miles or so from Mike and I concur with all reports on the Wodyetia bifurcata. There are Roystonea sp. that have survived the past three (including current) cold snaps in Jan '10, Dec '10 & Jan '12 around here - most of which have many feet of clear trunk. I know of no Pseudophoenix in the ground in my surrounding area.

Hope that helps,

Rich

Kathryn

I had one in the New Orleans area for several years, which probably has similar weather. It did fine for many years but eventually died from the cold. I don't recall the temperatures details but I posted about it here. I can't search right now since all I have is my phone but I'll look for it later.

aztropic

In Arizona,our freezes rarely include frost. I have lots of experience with all 3 species here and can tell you that even large foxtails die with a couple hours at 28 degrees.My royals and Pseudophoenix have withstood freezes down to 22 degrees,and although they defoliate,they do start growing again when it warms up.I'd say both are very similar in what they will withstand but give the nod to the Pseudo for cold resistance.Also,both appear safe to about 28 degrees with little to no damage.

Lowest temp so far this year was 1 day down to 30 degrees and only palm to show damage is a large bottle palm;although it's already opening up a new frond.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Keith in SoJax

Thanks everyone. The Winter Haven neighborhood where the house is has Foxtails that survived (defoliated) so it seems possible a Royal would make it, at least for a while. In the case of the Pseudophoenix, it sounds like it might, especially if I covered it when a freeze was likely. they stay small for a long time. Rich and Mike, if I get the house, (short sale so who knows....) I be asking you fellas lots of questions.

_Rich

Best of luck with the house Keith. There are many microclimates around town with all the lakes. I, unfortunately, do not have one. Long-term outlook for foxtail is not good here in my opinion.

Best wishes,

Rich

Keith in SoJax

Rich, I'm not that big a Foxtail fan anyway, but I thought their presence would be a good indicator of a mild microclimate. So, when the neighbors had large ones that were obviously recovering from last years defoliation, as well as Dypsis decaryi (couldnt tell if they'd been defoliated or not), I figured the house was in a good spot. you are right about the plethora of microclimates. That part of the county is quite amazing.

_Rich

weather.com called for a low of 39 last night in my zip code. at midnight, my high/low weather station was recording 33 with high humidity and corresponding moisture on the leaflets. Ultimate low at ground level in the back yard was 28. I'm thankful I started covering Archontophoenix & Roystonea sometime around 12:30. Gotta love these troughs that come through the peninsula and wreak havoc. This is 2nd blast of the winter here. The duration of these, thankfully, have been limited to a day or two. Overall low in my yard thus far = 24. I hope you have warmer ground here.

~ Rich

tikitiki

Man you guys are getting cold. Here in windermere (just out of Orlando) I have not seen anything like that. My royals and foxtails burn about the same rate but the royal grows out fatser. The pseudophoenix gets little to no damage. With that said I have lost palms of the same species two feet from one that has made it through winter.