IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another storm is coming!

Exotic Life

Hi,

Oke i know this storm is nothing by the status Hurricane. But tomorrow (thursday 18-01-07) a very nasty day. We get another storm, this will be the tirth one in three weeks! The expect windspeed above land, normally the don't be so strong, but this one it will be wind speeds to 120 km/hour = 75mph, but more to the coast the expect windspeeds to 140 km/hour = 87mph ... Above the sea and the norway coast can be expext windspeeds tot 160 km/hour 99 mph ... but that's not for here...

At the same time the also expect a lot of rain ... in a very short time ... so i can be dangerous... The german weather service have also say the the people in the country if you don't  must go outside stay inside ...

It can be a nasty storm, also stronger the storms before, that we get damage again is for sure! I go to school tormorrow ... but the expect the strongest point of the storm will be at the end of the afternoon, beginning of the evening. Only good thing about the strom the tempeture will be raise up to 16C/61F normally for this time of year it will be 5C/41F...

I will update you tomorrow people :)

Robbin

Southwest

Today we have got already heavy rainfall with wind speeds, then you got nasty picture's ... For tomorrow they also expect higher water then normal...  

18120071758342.jpg

18120071758341.jpg

The picture's are not from mine,but i was walking in this weather today, i was completly wet :( I hate this rainy weather like this !

Robbin

Southwest

Yep, I have an inch of snow on the ground here. Honestly, I thought the weather man was bluffing, since normally the calling for snow is baloney. I'll post some pics in a different thread. Its not on the roads here luckily. They did brine them yesterday though.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Hi,

The storm is a strong one, the have say on television there already 4 deads. And a lot of damage ... i was on school this afternoon and i want to go home before the strongest point for the storm, but the trains don't drive, busses don't drive, birdges are closed, tree's are everywhere on the streets, so much rain ... i have need 4 hours te get home today from school, normally it cost me 1,5 hour. Roofs are blowing away from buildings ... this is a nasty storm ...! And not over yet .. later this evening it will be a little stronger then, above see the can expect wind speeds to 160 km/hour = 99 MPH ....

Here are the first damage picture's tomorrow when it's daylight again there most be a lot more ...

1712007181365.jpg

1712007182366.jpg

1712007182367.jpg

Southwest

The have warning the big trucks don't go on the road the change was there to blown over then ... this one don't listen to that ... today about 30 of this kind of trucks are blowing over ...

949285.jpg

949287.jpg

949396.jpg

Southwest

Are there german people on this forum ? I have heard read that they have got wind speeds to 191 km/hour = 118 MPH ... Is this true ?

For here the confirmed at this moment 5 deads :( This was a nasty storm ... that still blowing here ...

Robbin

Southwest

(Zac in NC @ Jan. 18 2007,16:30)

Wow, such damage. Hope the storm ends soon, Robbin.

Zac

Hi Zac,

Yeah the storm was to a end, today we have a better view of the damage... the expect more then 160 million euro's of damage to buildings ... and they confirmend 6 deads :(

Robbin

Southwest

I don't think that i let see more pics, it was a nasty storm, the say the strongest since 27 october 2002. Maybe this weekend on saturday or sunday ... we het anotger storm depression, but this one will nog be so strong like this one!

Robbin

Southwest

Good grief, Robbin, that looks terrible!  Like a d*** hurricane!!  

Didn't see much about it in our local media - so thank you for posting the pictures, they really tell the story.

Isn't this a highly unusual occurrence for your area?

Hope that you and your family are okay and that you didn't have any damage.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Wow! What a mess.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Apparently its now heading off to Poland and Eastern Europe.

Total death count earlier today :50 for Northen Europe alone.

Lets just hope that it soon loses its force or blows itelf out.

Regardez

Juan

Juan

Hi everbody,

Oke the confirmed 7 deads in the Netherlands. The give already warnings for tonight. Another "storm" is comming, number 4 in 3 weeks. Oke it's is not really a storm but we can get storm winds to 100km/per hour = 62 MPH.

The give the warnings for tree's and other storm that was not blowing away last thursday ... maybe the will go know. They have also say that the people must stay out of the woods .. because tree's that can fell down. The highest winds speeds they expect that later this day, in the evening.

SunnyFl, it's not to strange we can have this storms, if we have a strong west circulation we can get high windspeeds. But normally we can get a storm in the autemm/winter season, this storm was number 3 in 3 weeks, and this one was heavy. And maybe tonight another depression that reach the storm status. So it's not to strange, but 3 storms in 3 weeks we don't see that so much :)

Robbin

Southwest

One more .... I'm fine ... When the storm was at the strongest i was ouside try to get home. I have been busy for 4 hours to get home, normally it will take 1,5 hour. I have see a lot of damage, en feel the high wind speeds.

Here in the garden some rain protection have been damaged but not to bad, one protection was completly destroyed, so tomorrow we go to make this again. About the palms that haven't a rain protection, they have leaf damage. Only my Sabal, after the last storm he have damge, but know the leafes are completly destroyed, i cut the leafes over some day's when the turned brown. I hope this one will regrow fast next summer :) I'm happy that my green house don't have got any damage at all, because the expect next week freezings tempeture's for some day's that really strange!

Now he looks like a Livistona decipiens, oke oke it's nog a huge sabal ...

Afbeelding003-1.jpg

Afbeelding004-1.jpg

The other palms that not have any rainprotection, have leaf damage like this, it's not a big damage but the leafes will be brown also, so the need a cut over some weeks.

Afbeelding006.jpg

And new leafes (Speers) that not ready to open yet, are open now ...

Afbeelding007.jpg

Robbin

Southwest

Great photos, Robbin   :P

This incredible storm is the worse El Nino event of the winter & typically would occur much further south than Europe.  Amazing weather for you.

This Europa storm has been widely reported in the US media.    :o  Stunning and quite dangerous.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Did this storm have tropical characteristics or was it a cold front? Doesn't matter really as the end result looks to be the same  :(

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(happ @ Jan. 20 2007,10:35)

Great photos, Robbin   :P

This incredible storm is the worse El Nino event of the winter & typically would occur much further south than Europe.  Amazing weather for you.

This Europa storm has been widely reported in the US media.    :o  Stunning and quite dangerous.

Happ,

Yeah strange weather here, but we have strange weather here from lasy may ... from 1 may 2006 the weather is confused over here ... we broke record after record! Mostly heat records :D

But if i must to choose between high tempetures and storms ... or cold freezing weather and quit weather ... i choose for the first option ... you get the florida effect ... storms but a hot summer and everything will regrow then.

Robbin

Southwest

(ruskinPalms @ Jan. 20 2007,19:53)

Did this storm have tropical characteristics or was it a cold front? Doesn't matter really as the end result looks to be the same  :(

Hi,

First the tempeture was very fast raising to tempetures, far above normal average ... and we have got rainfall, look a like tropical rainfall so much rain in a very short time ... when the cold front was coming over, in that period we have got the strongest winds and in that period we have got the most damage i think, tree's are felling down if it looks like it was nothing ...

After the cold front we have got still strong winds but the tempeture going up again ...

So it's a little mix :)

Robbin

Southwest

(Zac in NC @ Jan. 22 2007,18:37)

Hope your freeze isn't too bad tonight Robbin.

Zac

I have got freezes but not too bad :)

Robbin

Southwest