IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ravenea hildebrandtii

Gtlevine

Another great palm, my two trunking size specimens cruised through 27F with no damage.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

One in the ground, about a foot tall, in the open, four days of 28-29 F, no damage.

Two specimens in 10 gallon pots, two days of 28.4 F, some minor damage, growth bud appears okay.  (Two days in my garage . . . .)

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Decent 15 gal size, not covered, next to my 24" box Arch. maxima.  Arch toasty, Rav. looks like nothing happened.  Hit 30F 4 nights, 2 of those to 28F

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Two nice ten-galloners, dug up from the ground this summer, exposed to two fully horrible nights of 24.8 F (-4 C) and, well, they are wounded.  Leaves are green, but extra crispy, the Colonel would be proud.  

(Two nights in the hall outside my bedroom.  Dirty rug, nothing a vacuum can't fix.)

But, hope, like the growth bud, springs eternal!

dave

post-208-1169354062_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

My big ones took a hard hit.

The spears are green, the leaves are green but crispy.

post-208-1170027574_thumb.jpg

Damage much more apparent up close:

post-208-1170027611_thumb.jpg

This little one took four nights down to 28-29 F.

Not good, but spear's green . . .

post-208-1170027656_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Back from the dead, July 29, 2007

post-208-1185739012_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Mine bit the dust in about June. Not sure why, I think I may have overwatered relative to its health post freeze.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 14 years later...

This is a mature plant about six or seven years old, and it is under cover of my tall, mature redwoods 27 degrees. 

I don't care about frost, not having any for years now!

My question, ...it grows well for me in moderate shade, and I would like to ground plant them in full, darker shade.  Any thoughts ?  Thanks 

San Francisco, California