IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Longest freeze ever in Cal?

tropicalb

Just curious...my bet is that this could be the longest period of successive nights of freezing or below freezing temperatures in California history...and it's not over yet.

anybody have a clue?

Not sure, but so far here this month we have only had two days with lows above freezing (one 33F and one 38F).  Even more freezing days last December.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

This is the longest stretch of freezing I can remember.  It even beats 89/90 in duration, but not as cold as 89/90.  My low this time was 23, and it got down to 14F in 1990.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Considering that frost warnings are still posted for the San Joaquin valley, it has to be a disaster.  Huge losses in crops and jobs. Nothing to pick/ cannery shut down.

Very hard hit areas include surprising San Diego county but also all inland valleys & essentially the entire state except San Francisco and Los Angeles due to steep hills & water.

Low desert was a mixed bag.  Anyone know how hard agriculture was hit in Imperial valley/Yuma & Phoenix.

NWS-PALM SPRINGS

SATURDAY 51/39

SUNDAY 52/24 record

MONDAY 58/38

TUESDAY 62/44

WEDNESDAY 59/33

TODAY 67/42

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(happ @ Jan. 18 2007,22:37)

Considering that frost warnings are still posted for the San Joaquin valley, it has to be a disaster.  Huge losses in crops and jobs. Nothing to pick/ cannery shut down.

Very hard hit areas include surprising San Diego county but also all inland valleys & essentially the entire state except San Francisco and Los Angeles due to steep hills & water.

Low desert was a mixed bag.  Anyone know how hard agriculture was hit in Imperial valley/Yuma & Phoenix.

NWS-PALM SPRINGS

SATURDAY 51/39

SUNDAY 52/24 record

MONDAY 58/38

TUESDAY 62/44

WEDNESDAY 59/33

TODAY 67/42

I don't know but I bet the commercial mango farms near Indio got punched in the neck.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I expect this one will go down in the record books.....the longest duration ever.

Dick

Richard Douglas

The intensely cold air is still alive and kicking butt in the central US.  First sign of winter on the eastern seaboard.  

For the sake of tender plant life I wish winter were over but only after some heavy warm rain storms [like an El Nino should be  :( ].  Remember last winter when March produced some very cold/rain for weeks.  Hurt michelia especially.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Jan. 19 2007,22:48)

The intensely cold air is still alive and kicking butt in the central US.  First sign of winter on the eastern seaboard.  

For the sake of tender plant life I wish winter were over but only after some heavy warm rain storms [like an El Nino should be  :( ].  Remember last winter when March produced some very cold/rain for weeks.  Hurt michelia especially.

Last winter/spring is what I would expect an El Nino to be like.  300% of normal rainfall.  The totals for just the month of January 2006 exceeded our yearly rainfall total.

For you weather historians, how many of our record freeze years in the last 50 years or more (49, 63, 75?, 90, 98) were El Nino years (if that pattern had even been descovered yet).

Robert

9A

For you weather historians, how many of our record freeze years in the last 50 years or more (49, 63, 75?, 90, 98) were El Nino years (if that pattern had even been descovered yet).

Good question, Robert.

My guess is none.  Seems to me that once the subtropical jet predominates, it transports warm moist Pacific air into California that deters polar blasts.  I have the data of the 83/84 & 1997 El Ninos [will check the temps].

This particular ENSO is being referred to as Type 2 w/ less impact on the West coast, so far.  For example, the PacificNW has experienced a cold & quite wet winter; the opposite of typical El Nino conditions that should be dry/warm up north & wet/warm here in SoCal.

The debate continues over what kind of ENSO this will be for California w/ some suggesting the rains will occur next month into March while other meteorologists are predicting a drought.  It is late January & less than 2 inches of rain has been recorded over most of SoCal since July  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

• 2 weeks later...

In answer to a question on this thread.....One night of 14F is much worse than 2 or 3 nights that are 23/24.  I experienced 14F in 1990 and my garden looked like a blow torch was used on it.  Even some of my hardy palms were damaged but they all recovered.

This time with a low of 23, I see no damage to the hardy palms even though the duration of this cold has been longer.  Concerning a drought, I think we are already in one in Calif, and unfortunately they have a habit of lasting several years.

Cactus anyone?

Dick

Richard Douglas

Without doubt this has been the longest period of freezing temps in recent history; much longer than 1990 and any of the earlier freezes going back to 1978.  Even areas that did not experience frost had minimums in the 30's for many nights.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Fresno recorded 19 consecutive days below freezing this year, but it did not break the 1947 record of 20 days.  Somehow I had one warm day that broke the streak for me.  I recorded 15 consecutive days.  I am not sure what the record is for Madera, but I suspect it will be equal to or exceed Fresno's 1947 record.

My January 2007 Freeze statistics:

Lowest temp 19.6F

6 days with temps in low 20's or just below 20F

17 days below 30F

23 of 26 days at/below freezing

15 consecutive freezing days

12 days with >12 hours below freezing

Approximately 200 combined hours below freezing

Pond frozen for ~2 weeks with 4" of ice.

High temps recovering to mid-40's/low-50's each day.

Robert

9A