IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis 'ambositrae'

Geoff

Not sure if these are the 'real' thing, but what's been sold as D ambositrae in California for the last 10 years.  Anyway, both slow growing 6 year old seedlings (4' over all about) showed no damage I thought... but just checked on them and 27F for 5 hours appears to have done more hurt than I thought.  Leaf color looks pretty good.. but these 'normally' have darker leaves.. however, all petioles just 'melted' and only frizzled spikes remain... suspect both plants are dead and just don't know it yet.

One "fakey" fine leaf about 4' tall stem... no damage at 24/no frost.

4-5 seedlings at the base, covered with a sheet, to early to tell if they're fakey or real Ambo, some leaf loss (50%).

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

About a dozen fakey Ambositraes in the ground, most about 1.5" (4 cm) across the base, about 4-5 feet (1.33-1.66 m) tall, no discernable damage after four days of 28FF (-1 C)/

Two five gallon potted "dark form" 50% leaf burn after one day in 24.8 (moved to garage)

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Very little damage to mine here in Modestooo planted close to my house... under the overhang. Official Modesto low temps 23f... my  yard thermometer 26f.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Update:

A flock of about 8 fakeys, all about 4 four feet tall, exposed fronds showed some damage after four nights of 28-29 F, -1 C.  Solid nights.

But, they're coming back.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 1 year later...

10 plants, planted as group, 6' OA height. Some canopy, near pool and house.

22f, multiple hours and nights below freezing

10% leaf burn

All plants fully recovered

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Four plants, 3' OA height

19f, many hours and nights below freezing

Killed outright

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

• 11 months later...

Apx. 10 fine leaf versions in various part of my yard. 27F and many nights at or below freezing with some light frost completely exposed to partial canopy on some. 50% leaf burn on all. Spears look fine. Some in the ground 4 months some 1 year. No difference.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

6ft OA in the ground for 5 years no protection. Took a frost last night. 2nd night at freezing. no problems yet. lt Held the seeds so far.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

About a six-foot fine-leaf, in close company with an Archontophoenix and some other palms, but pretty much exposed to the night sky, seems undamaged after 32-31 degrees from 9:30 pm until near dawn, when the temperature briefly hit 30. Dry air, no frost.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 1 year later...

After my last post, we had more nights of slightly-below freezing temperatures and one that hit 28 degrees at 10:30, then freezing or just below until dawn, when it dived back down to 28. Rose above freezing an hour or two after dawn.

Still no damage. By way of comparison, Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, Carpentaria, and several assorted Coccothrinax suffered no damage, while Archontophoenix tuckeri and Dypsis decaryi suffered limited browning. Satakentia liukiuensis was badly browned.

Dypsis plumosa looks reasonably hardy for our climate.

In reading all these posts, it seems everyone is rating the Palm that is now officialy Dypsis plumosa. I wonder if there is a way we can get the Post Title changed to reflect that? Perry

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

http://www.slopalms.com

• 1 year later...

post-275-022602300 1297371037_thumb.jpg

There's indeed a need for a Dypsis plumosa damage thread.

This December, we abruptly had a 26º F (-3.3 C) freeze, followed by 28 F two weeks later. Lots of wind, no frost. Mine has serious leaf damage, but will unfurl a normal new leaf soon. It's in the middle of the photo--the palm with white leaf bases--with a pair of tall Carpentaria acuminata to the right and an Archontophoenix tuckeri to the left. Back of the Dypsis is a mass of Sabal minor and Coccothrinax argentata.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My D. plumosa already has one new leaf, showing no damage from cold. A second is set to unfurl. Several older leaves are nearly undamaged, somewhat younger ones have dead leaflets but green petioles, so I'm leaving them on the assumption that they're manufacturing food.