Sign in to follow this  
Geoff

Trachycarpus latisectus

Geoff

Have three of these planted around the yard.  Two along the east side of the house where sun hit first... also some Brugmansias overhead.  No damage on the 27F night of the big freeze... but 6" seedling in lawn totally unprotected is basically killed...

8 days later, and this 'killed' seedling still has green in newest leaf... think it might make it.

http://davesgarden.com/journal/j/si/114377/

NorCal

So far this Winter, several nights of frost two days with low@ 27°F. just planted from a three gallon pot in October, 1-24" high overall, planted in the open lawn on East side of the house, it was covered in frost and was hit early with brilliant sunlight. No damage whatsoever, still showing active growth. In McKinleyville Ca.

PalmGuyWC

I have two in the ground, one about 4' high to the tip of the fronds.  They probably experienced about 24F with light overhead protection from a decideous Oak tree and they were just planted last summer, so not established yet.  They don't look any the worse since they were planted, and they had some brown tips to start with. I think this is one that likes lots of water.

Dick

ghar41

I have one, planted from a one gallon pot in 2004, in my front yard, the coldest area of my house (I am still trying to get ice on my driveway to melt..)

Anyway, it is unaffected, slowly pushing a frond.

1/28-  Still looks good...

post-376-1169669221_thumb.jpg

AJQ

I think that these are really Hardy palms, Min Temps are not a problem with these palms but the Wind certainly is.

Regards Andy.

Xhoniwaters1

Batch of large potted 1 gallons-under shelter protected from sleet and ice. My thermometer saw 23, these likely saw lows between 24-26 degrees. Around 35+ freezing hours. Zero damage.

stevethegator

Batch of large potted 1 gallons-under shelter protected from sleet and ice. My thermometer saw 23, these likely saw lows between 24-26 degrees. Around 35+ freezing hours. Zero damage.

Are these more heat tolerant than fortunei? They look better IMO

Xhoniwaters1

I don't have much experience with the fortunei, but as far as I can tell the latisectus hasn't been affected by heat. My climate doesn't reach above 90 degrees often so I don't know how they would handle anything above that.They do seem to grow a bit faster in the cooler months and like a good bit of shade, at least as younger plants.

stevethegator

Thanks for the info!

NorthFlpalmguy

I have 80+ liner sized (10-12") that took multiple days of low 20s and even a low of 18-19 with hard frost. Spear pull on a few with 10% leaf damage on a few more but no deaths which is weird for Trachys this small. I did not cover them to "test" them out.I believe these are colder than once thought.

To put it in perspective, I had 50+ Trachy Fort (16+") liners next to them and they had more spear pulls and about 10% died.

Tropicdoc

Good news!

_Keith

Good news!

Although very small mine was unfazed by our last 2 winters. Looks bulletproof to me.

Tropicdoc

Gotta get one (some). Close in appearance to martianus which I have but looks to be more cold tolerant

NorthFlpalmguy

The rumor among Florida nurserymen is these will take a chunk of the fortunei's market in the near future. I take that with a grain of salt but in contrast I do have a hundred or so...

• Like 1

Alicehunter2000

Bryant, sent my friend your website info. He and I will try and visit in the next few weeks.

NorthFlpalmguy

That sounds great David.

Alicehunter2000

Going to research a bit and see if those ones I got from you are latisectus or maybe something else? Whatever they are, I'm planting them soon :greenthumb:

_Keith

Going to research a bit and see if those ones I got from you are latisectus or maybe something else? Whatever they are, I'm planting them soon :greenthumb:

Pop up a picture or two. I can at least tell you if they look like mine.

Alicehunter2000

post-97-0-97396100-1430709750_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-03697100-1430709816_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-26184800-1430709866_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-49710800-1430709914_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

NorthFlpalmguy

Hey Keith- I also sent you some pictures via PM of the others. The only think I can tell is they are not fortunei, waggy, or princeps so by deductive reasoning the latisectus or martianus sounds correct. I doubt martianus would have taken the hard frost (uncovered) that we had last year those, especially as liner-sized plants as well as these did.

Tropicdoc

That doesn't look like my martianus at that size I'll get a few pics for you

RJ

Any update on these? 

RJ
On 5/5/2015 at 8:08 PM, Tropicdoc said:

That doesn't look like my martianus at that size I'll get a few pics for you

Still have this? Wondering how it looks several years later. Thanks

Tropicdoc

Not a close up but can you see it back there by the treehouse?

8BAD359C-4C6C-493A-9114-BCB08D9A9413.jpeg

• Like 2

RJ
8 hours ago, Tropicdoc said:

Not a close up but can you see it back there by the treehouse?

8BAD359C-4C6C-493A-9114-BCB08D9A9413.jpeg

How's the growth, looks like it's under canopy? 

Tropicdoc

Yes heavy canopy growth is slow but steady always green and I prefer the stretched look that it has. Has maybe a foot of trunk 

• Like 1