IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Folded Trachycarpus Fortunei Fronds

NCPalm

Does anyone know why the leaves on the fronds of my trachycarpus fortunei would be folding in half lenghwise? this has been the case for about the last 6 to 7 months. I live in coastal NC and the tree gets plenty of water. i have three other trees and their leaves are broad and flat.

post-3595-061781000 1324052104_thumb.jpg

George

All of the fronds new and old look the same.

Not to big a problem(yet?)as long as it's not the center leaves.

Sign of stress or normal leaf loss? :blink:

George

Is it still growing actively? Normally it does that when it is stressed from heat or drought. Although, if the roots have died back for some reason, then it is showing signs of stress. Do you see active white roots if you dig around the trunk?

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

it is still growing although it seems a little slower than it used to. Of the four trachys I have this is one of three that receives a lot of shade in the summer provided by taller hard wood trees. The fourth tree gets a lot of sun and is doing fine. Drought is definatelly a problem where I live. Our soil almost never dries out. I have not dug around the trunk to check for active white roots, but I can. I agree that I would expect to see these symptoms if the tree were stressed from heat and/or drought, but neither fits in this case. I am stumped.

Is it still growing actively? Normally it does that when it is stressed from heat or drought. Although, if the roots have died back for some reason, then it is showing signs of stress. Do you see active white roots if you dig around the trunk?

George

It's hard to diagnose a problem without more information so my answer is a guess. I think it has root rot. You said it was in a lot of shade and gets plenty of water. I bet if you dig it up in early February (if you see no severe cold in the long range forecast) and build up a raised bed to plant it in, it will recover.

It's definitely STRESS related. Which does not tell you very much because you can see the same result from very different environmental factors--too much water...not enough... root problems, etc.. (I had one large T. fortunei do this during the summer--probably was not a good idea for me to have transplanted in the heat of summer.--It died.) Hopefully, yours will grow out of it but you may have to be prepared for a loss.

Its definitely a water issue because the palm is doing this to conserve water in the summer months.

So its either short of water or the root mass is being damaged in some way.

In winter does the water table rise and maybe suffocate a lot of roots ?

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

George

How long has/when was it planted?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Optional read :winkie:

I have C.cerifera that arrived like that,the leaves never

have opened but the new leaves are fine..........

Interestingly/luckily,the root issues it had

saved it last winter as the plant was pretty dry overall

and I think this helped it get through the winter,my other "healthy" one and/also

the replacement for this one had total core pull but recovered from side shoots.

Anyway,blah,blah,blah.

The old leaves MAY never recover but if the center/new growth is vigorous it surely will grow out of it.

My guess would be-new planting, no worries just some shock/stress.

Been in the ground 7 years(for instance)and suddenly doing this...goner :unsure:

Edited by Jimhardy

• 3 months later...

Well the palm has made it so far after being in the ground since the summer of 2008. Last Sunday I decided to dig it up, wash all the soil I could from the roots and transplant it to a higher and sunnier location. I hope this was the right move. I took several pictures during the process and would like to know if anyone has any thoughts on it's future.

post-3595-054899400 1332451326_thumb.jpg

post-3595-097853900 1332451338_thumb.jpg

post-3595-026260300 1332451349_thumb.jpg

post-3595-010952700 1332451412_thumb.jpg

post-3595-082304000 1332451421_thumb.jpg

George

What part of the coast are you located at? I have many trachies planted here in red clay (west of Raleigh), which get absolutely saturated during winter months but with no ill effects on the trachys. The only times I've had folded leaves are from cold or drought stressors, which happens annually. You are braver than I to dig up a large trachy and move it. :blink:

The palm will now go through transplant stress...hopefully this crazy heat we've been having won't make matters worse. It needs to re-establish before the big heat comes. Good luck with it.

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

What part of the coast are you located at? I have many trachies planted here in red clay (west of Raleigh), which get absolutely saturated during winter months but with no ill effects on the trachys. The only times I've had folded leaves are from cold or drought stressors, which happens annually. You are braver than I to dig up a large trachy and move it. :blink:

The palm will now go through transplant stress...hopefully this crazy heat we've been having won't make matters worse. It needs to re-establish before the big heat comes. Good luck with it.

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

I am in Currituck County just south of the NC/VA border. I only transplanted on the prospect of loosing the palm anyway.

George

That root system was definately compromised. Maybe root rot caused by Phytophthora, or something else like wet feet. I'd give it a rather low chance of survivng too. I'd just replace it. Trachycarpus are more enduring in the clay soils to your west. It may be the nematodes just find them irrestible and that leads to decline. Plant pathogenic Nematodes don't like clay.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.