IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenicophorium borsigianum

cfkingfish

We were a few days without heat at our greenhouse after the visquine tore and blew off about a month ago. The greenhouse is located almost 10 miles inland with no urban or river warming effects. I have a few 2 gallon P. borsigianums, they recived slight burn at 43.5F with no canopy.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Two dozen or so 3 leaf seedlings germinated this summer, wiped out during 42ºF event. They were under a pool screen porch and receiving irrigation every 2 mornings.

Cold damage begins to show as a thinning and subsequent drying of the new leaf then spreading down to other leaves. At this point the root system is dead by rot.

The good side: 3 survivors, 2 of them were planted in peat moss rather than heavier evergreen soil on the third one. I hope these prove to be the pick of the litter.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

• 4 weeks later...

These are beauties. Too bad they are so wimpy.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

• 6 years later...

I had a 1 gallon borsigianum survive 33 degrees F in it's bucket, unprotected and in the center of my yard, in Sarasota last winter. It didn't see any frost. I was pleasantly surprised. It's still doing fine.

• Upvote 1

I've lost multiple P. borsigianum at temps as "high" as 40F. I don't trust any outdoor greenhouse, space heaters etc with this palm so my current specimen watches TV with me during the winter. :) I would say Phoenicophorium easily makes the top 5 most cold tender palms list.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I just bought a small P borsigianum from Floribunda and I agree with Ray. I won't put it in the greenhouse this winter; I'll bring it indoors.

post-7877-0-71856000-1376833856_thumb.jp

Ray, what size is your palm?

• 4 years later...

Using all the tricks I knew, mine only lasted two cold seasons in the ground :innocent:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Mine winters in the dining room with its friends all nights under 55 degrees.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm: