IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anybody know anything about Hildegardia?

Justin

I saw this multiple times north of Morondava, between Belo Tsiribihina and Bekopaka. Unfortunately, I was never that close and never got a good shot, but the red color was amazing. Anyone have any details on these?

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

If you want any information about Hildergardia, you should write to BigLeafTropicals. Barry Stock should know more about it than anyone else I know...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I saw this multiple times north of Morondava, between Belo Tsiribihina and Bekopaka. Unfortunately, I was never that close and never got a good shot, but the red color was amazing. Anyone have any details on these?

There's two main species in Mdagascar, Hildegardia erythrosiphon and Hildegardia perrieri, with a couple of new additions:

http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Hildegardia/Hildegardia.php

It's a bizarre genus: three in Africa (one east, two west), one in Cuba, one in India, one in Kakadu/Arnhem Land, a few in Mada. I am growing populifolia and australiensis here. I got a seedling of barteri years ago from Boris but Hurricane Wilma killed it. Although many have talked about it, no one has managed to bring seed out of Madagascar as far as I know, if they have they haven't talked about it online. The Malagasy species would do fine here in SFL, with our limestone underpinnings they would feel right at home. H. populifolia does very well despite growing on decomposed granite in India, and australiensis manages okay, not quite as robust as populifolia, but doing fine.

Edited by bigleaftropicals

H. australiensis grows on limestone outcrops, but you don't see it growing down below in the red soils. With the amount of seed they release you'd think some plants might survive down on the lower ground but you don't even see seedlings there. On the other hand its close relative Sterculia quadrifida grows amongst it on the limestone but also grows in acidic sandstone country and is very widespread. The Hildegardia seems to have a strong dependence on the limestone. However there are some people growing it here away from the limestone and seem to be going okay. I haven't checked it in a while, should have a look again to see how well it's growing.

post-4226-039864700 1323988888_thumb.jpgpost-4226-042591500 1323988916_thumb.jpg

Zig,

If you happen to go to see the Hildergardia and see any seeds, can you collect some for me, please? We have a debate whether the one at the botanical garden is actually Hildergardia. At least if the seeds are collected in the wild, we would know it is the real deal.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

From these descriptions, I almost certainly saw Hildegardia erythrosiphon. Anyone know its cold hardiness and/or its availability for plants?

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Zig,

If you happen to go to see the Hildergardia and see any seeds, can you collect some for me, please? We have a debate whether the one at the botanical garden is actually Hildergardia. At least if the seeds are collected in the wild, we would know it is the real deal.

Regards, Ari :)

Funnily enough, I had those photos above because the Botanical Gardens asked me to get some in habitat for them. When i get back from Melbourne I'll try and get out there to see it there's still some seed around., Problem is the river goes into extended flooding around then and the area might be cut off for a while. The photo of the seeds was taken in November so there may not be any around til next year. I haven't seen the one in the Botanic Gardens but I thought it was a certain ID. Their trunks and branches are green, and you can see the leaves in the photo.

I can send you photos and you can tell me whether they are the right one.... I got seeds from Ben before, but I just want to make sure it is the right tree/seeds :). Thanks Zig... whenever you get there :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

• 3 months later...

Hey Ari, and Zig, I think the ones I have growing are H. australiensis. They are starting the low branching evident in the ones in the photos, and since Florida is limerock-saturated they should be quite happy. I'd love to see some photos of the flowers if anyone has any. I saw a few in a newsletter PDF and they look almost identical to H. populifolia, but the ones in Darwin seemed to have white flowers.

Additionally, Sterculia quadrifida loves South Florida, and are growing like beasts.

Zig works in the area, Barry... so I would ask him to take photos if and when they are flowering :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"