IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

(Rather common) Licula ID

stygiana

Hi everybody,

I bought this small Licuala in a local nursery about a year ago at a bargain price, as it was virtually leafless and quite dry. It's been very happy ever since. I first thought it was a grandis, but my wife keeps on saying it's a peltata sumawongii (aka elegans), and with the last new leaf, I must say that she might be right. But I'm still not quite sure (or maybe I'm too "macho macho" to admit that she was right!).

Here it is i our "nursery" about which I must say that it's probably one of the worst spots in the property (rats, dens shade, falling avocadoes and mangoes, etc) and we hardly can spend more than 30 mn per week. Fortunately, this spot is very cool, fresh and free of any wind.

Thanks in advance to any of you who could help identifying this one for sure.

post-5641-062198700 1323541299_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sebastian Bano

Sebastian, garden on La Palma island, 370 m (1200 feet) above sea level / USDA Zone 11/12 ; Heat zone IV / V

Record High: 42°C (107F) / Record Low: 9°C (48°F). Rain: 600 mm (24 inches) per year with dry/wet seasons. Warm Season: July-November / Cool Season: December-June
Warmest month (August/September) average minimum temperature : 21°C (70°F) / Warmest month (August/September) average maximum temperature : 28°C (82°F)
Coldest month (February/March) average minimum temperature : 14,5°C (58°F) / Coldest month (February/March) average maximum temperature : 21°C (70°F)

Temperature of the sea : minimum of 20°C (68°F) in march, maximum of 25°C (77°F) in September/October.

Thank you both...

But who should I listen? Of course, my wife now says Bencasa is most definitely right.... Aargh :wacko:

Sebastian, garden on La Palma island, 370 m (1200 feet) above sea level / USDA Zone 11/12 ; Heat zone IV / V

Record High: 42°C (107F) / Record Low: 9°C (48°F). Rain: 600 mm (24 inches) per year with dry/wet seasons. Warm Season: July-November / Cool Season: December-June
Warmest month (August/September) average minimum temperature : 21°C (70°F) / Warmest month (August/September) average maximum temperature : 28°C (82°F)
Coldest month (February/March) average minimum temperature : 14,5°C (58°F) / Coldest month (February/March) average maximum temperature : 21°C (70°F)

Temperature of the sea : minimum of 20°C (68°F) in march, maximum of 25°C (77°F) in September/October.

I'm (maliciously) delighted, as for now the match's result is:

Sebastian 2 / My wife 1. :mrlooney:

But maybe the game is not over yet?

I say grandis--my peltata var. sumawongii has a longer petiole and smaller leaf at that size...

Andrew's got it right.........L. grandis

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Ok seeing I'm the only one backing elegans, could you post a pic of the petioles?

Might be to young to show yet but could decide indefinitely.

Smaller, lighter spines quiet close together and its grandis.

Larger, darker spines that are more spaced out along the petiole and its elegans.

elegans spines tend to point down the petiole towards the crown at more of an angle to grandis but not sure if its too young of a plant for that to show yet.

Thank you Bencassa, you were right (my wife wins :badday::angry::(:rage: :rage: :evil::rant: ).

I confirm that my now-validated elegans (aka peltata sumawongii) has got black thick thorns, which tend to go downward. I actually remember now that the grandis I saw had more yellow, regular, spines. Besides I checked in various reliable sources and you actually chose a dependable key to easily distinguish them at that early stage.

Good one, Bencass. Much obliged!

Edited by Sebastian Bano

Thank you Bencassa, you were right (my wife wins :badday::angry::(:rage: :rage: :evil::rant: ).

I confirm that my now-validated elegans (aka peltata sumawongii) has got black thick thorns, which tend to go downward. I actually remember now that the grandis I saw had more yellow, regular, spines. Besides I checked in various reliable sources and you actually chose a dependable key to easily distinguish them at that early stage.

Good one, Bencass. Much obliged!

No problem mate, happy to help.

Hope your wife's not gloating too much over her win!