IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

rare fruit trees

Stevetoad

Or wanting a BFF and having him turn out like Paul. :floor::floor::floor::floor:

:lol::lol:

:wub:

ouch!!! :lol:

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Hi Steve,

I have a black sapote tree and have gotten fruit off of it. The fruit really does have the appearance and texture of chocolate pudding. Flavor is not really "chocolate", but is nice. You can definitely taste the similarity to persimmon (both are in the same genus), as it is slightly sweet and very mild. I like to eat it and it's a beautiful tree, but it's not the kind of fruit that you crave (like Lychee, Cherimoya, Dragonfruit, peaches etc...).

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

I saw a whole bunch of the black sapote/mamey at a swap meet up in San Fernando, so I know they'll fruit here.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matty, black sapote is not mamey. Whole different deal. Mamey may or may not fruit out in cali. Leaning towards rarely to fruit.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Hmmmm, just when you think you know something...

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It is not rare, but I would never be without a Moro Blood Orange. Taste is spectacular compared to a traditional Orange.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Matty, black sapote is not mamey. Whole different deal. Mamey may or may not fruit out in cali. Leaning towards rarely to fruit.

Alan

I've never heard of a mamey fruiting here. But the green sapote -- which is very similar -- will fruit here. I honestly can't tell the fruit apart.

Paul Fisher down in El Cajon was selling rare fruit trees a year or two ago. He might still be. He's the guy who was growing a coconut near his driveway and had a fruiting jackfruit. You might want to check with him since he's about as far inland as you are. His address is: 1266 Vista Del Monte Dr, El Cajon. And his phone number is 619-322-4141

Paul Fisher down in El Cajon was selling rare fruit trees a year or two ago. He might still be. He's the guy who was growing a coconut near his driveway and had a fruiting jackfruit. You might want to check with him since he's about as far inland as you are. His address is: 1266 Vista Del Monte Dr, El Cajon. And his phone number is 619-322-4141

thanks! el cajon is right next to santee and our temps are the same too. i hoope he still sells....

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Steve, take a drive over to 'Exotica' rare fruit tree nursery in Vista on Vista Way by the 76. You might find some cool stuff there. Sapote is a good size tree, the only drawback to growing it is that the fruit spoils very fast.

Paul fisher, merrit mountain nursery, is on merrit mtn, not exactly, santee. He can grow a coconut, need I say more?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

1323580032' post=502160]

Paul fisher, merrit mountain nursery, is on merrit mtn, not exactly, santee. He can grow a coconut, need I say more?

No....that pretty much says it all

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Looking for those with experience with Jakfruit (Artocarpus heterophylla). Planted mine 6 years ago. Base of the trunk is 5" in diameter, overall height is 15 ft. Got hit from winter two years ago, top part of tree was burnt back, but now has fully recovered. Fruiting at the ends of the branches has been ongoing for two years. These fruits abort as the branch could never support a mature fruit. It has of yet flowered on the trunk. Seen them at Fruit & Spice Park with massive fruits but these trees are quite old and established. Heavily mulched mine this summer to see if that would help. Gets fertilized regularly with a Palm Special fertilizer.

When will I see my tree get fruit on the trunk? Am I being impatient? Is it an age variable or does size matter? :unsure:

Any help would be appreciated. :blush:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Jack Fruit have male and female flowers. Moose, the "flowers" you are seeing now are the male, which the tree normally produces a year or two before producing female flowers. The female flowers form on short stalks on the heavier branches. You should get small fruit this summer.

BTW, you know that these get to be very large trees if left to their own devices. Best to top the tree when it is young to train it into a smaller tree. You would not want to be standing under the tree when it drops a 100lb fruit from 80 feet up.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Try the Acerola (aka Barbados Cherry) - Malpighia emarginata. It's very showy in full sun when the weather allows for bountiful fruiting. The fruit is delicious and has a very high vitamin C content and antioxidant properties. Has anyone grown it in California?

post-47-046240700 1323814795_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trópico

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Alan

I've never heard of a mamey fruiting here. But the green sapote -- which is very similar -- will fruit here. I honestly can't tell the fruit apart.

very similar flavour , but very different looking ..

mamee is brown oval almost as big as a football

green is round and green ..

trees are fairly similar looking .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Alan

very similar flavour , but very different looking ..

mamee is brown oval almost as big as a football

green is round and green ..

trees are fairly similar looking .

Those must be the cultivated varieties. The only ones I've ever had were down in Costa Rica and the mamee's weren't that big. But I needed to explain that I was referring to the taste.

Hello Group,

Has anybody out there heard of Clementiny's ?

They are a tiny tangerine. The fruit is about an 1 1/2" across and really sweet. I just got some in the local ( Saudi) market here that were grown in India.

I would like to find some for sale in California and add them to the collection.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Be well,

Tom

• Upvote 1

just got a red malaysian guava. anyone know how these are?

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Hello Group,

Has anybody out there heard of Clementiny's ?

They are a tiny tangerine. The fruit is about an 1 1/2" across and really sweet. I just got some in the local ( Saudi) market here that were grown in India.

I would like to find some for sale in California and add them to the collection.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Be well,

Tom

Were they seedless? Or basically seedless? I wonder if they're similar to Clementines. Sometimes people sell unpollinated Clementines as "Clementine Cuties". They are smaller and don't tend to have seeds.

• 1 year later...

Looking for those with experience with Jakfruit (Artocarpus heterophylla). Planted mine 6 years ago. Base of the trunk is 5" in diameter, overall height is 15 ft. Got hit from winter two years ago, top part of tree was burnt back, but now has fully recovered. Fruiting at the ends of the branches has been ongoing for two years. These fruits abort as the branch could never support a mature fruit. It has of yet flowered on the trunk. Seen them at Fruit & Spice Park with massive fruits but these trees are quite old and established. Heavily mulched mine this summer to see if that would help. Gets fertilized regularly with a Palm Special fertilizer.

When will I see my tree get fruit on the trunk? Am I being impatient? Is it an age variable or does size matter? unsure.gif

Any help would be appreciated. blush.gif

post-1729-0-86979900-1363537155_thumb.jppost-1729-0-58817600-1363537203_thumb.jp

post-1729-0-36568000-1363537227_thumb.jppost-1729-0-15133200-1363537266_thumb.jp

Hey - I think my Jakfuit may be finally starting to fruit !!! :yay:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Very cool!! I've always found it amazing how heavy, mature Jackfruit and Breadfruit remain attatched to the tree with just a thin stem. Nature's engineering at its best. The weight of the Brazil Nut is also impressive but I would guess it's a no grow in CA. If I live in SoCal I would want to try growing Longans, Dragon Fruit, Atemoya, and Sugar Apple. Figs and Pomegranates always seem pricey in the store and they seem best when picked at perfect ripeness, so I'd want of few of those too. From the temperate lands I would plant pluots, nectarines, and Asian pears.

Here in Southern California you definitely want to grow White Sapote, and Cherimoyas. I have found Jackfruits a bit touchy. They seem to be reasonably cold hardy but they need really good drainage. I have lost two trees because the drainage wasn't right. They got fungal infections.

And one very good fruit is the standard sweet cherry -- and there are two very good low chill cherries for Southern California (Minnie Royal, and Royal Lee).

Maybe in Santee it gets cold enough to grow one of those super sweet white apricots? White apricots are pretty rare in California ;)

Guys,

First of all, a guava in Virginia? Wow! Never knew they could take any kind of cold.

Second - you mentioned Pawpaw - they need a cold / dormant period - no idea if you get that out there - but the fruit production is actually pretty low, and only for a few weeks in the fall. But then again, that's how they behave in the frozen North. That makes me curious what they do in tropical climates. Love the leaves. Not a very attractive plant though.

The flowers are amazing.

Is the "Dragon Fruit" the Hylocereus undulatus or something else ? Is this what is used in grafting those colorful "ball cactus" at box stores? If so, I was given one - and the ball died, leaving the green "box" and it has not grown AT ALL in the 3 years I've had it. It's one of my favorite plants. I call it my green pet rock.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested Tree Tomatoes - Cyphomandra. Beautiful, and funky.

About the paw paw, they need about 400 chill hours, not sure what you get where you are. They are supposed to taste like banana custard but I haven't had the chance to try them yet.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I have low chill plums and peaches blooming now, hope to see fruit this year, Also. bananas, mango's (several types), lychee's, figs, guava, pineapple guava, Jaboticaba (which is ultra cool and tasty too), Pomegranate, limes, papaya, Avocado, Barbados cherry and pineapple. I hope to add more this year!

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I have failed miserably here with low chill plums, peaches, apples, and pears. Nor do I see any around here, except for an occasional old mealy tasting pear, so I guess I am not alone.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Look what we just found

post-126-0-94408400-1363743823_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matty, I have my first shot this year at these. Tell me more about this tree, age and size for fruit production.

Matty , good cultivars of Carambola are very sweet and juicy . Go very well in a licuado .

Need to kept pruned or can get very large . Indonesians eat them nearly green and use them in a dish called Rujak .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

• 6 years later...

A multi-headed Papaya putting off fruit here in town:

20190519_081631_MultiHeadPapaya_1600.jpg

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F