Sign in to follow this  
Shon

Ravenea glauca

Shon

Have two in front yard one is from a five gal the other a fifteen no sheet and 25.Both look perfect no spotting or anything. Awesome palm.

PALM MOD

I can't believe we only have one entry on this one. I would really like to hear more.

SunnyFl

(IPSPTModerator @ Jan. 16 2007,23:17)

I can't believe we only have one entry on this one. I would really like to hear more.

So would I!  This is one of my favorite palms - frankly, it's gorgeous.

I knew it could take 27F (mine did, years ago) but 25? With no damage?  !!  

Yes, Shon, it really is an awesome palm :)

MattyB

My spears pulled out last week so it's been whacked out since before the freeze but no new damage seen at 24.1F planted under a couple of other palms.

quaman58

Have 2 ga. plant in ground for 1-1/2 years on a slope. 27F, no frost, no damage.

STEVE IN SO CAL

I have a lot of these...but I'm waiting to see how they look in a week or so. In Dec, some 1 gal size in my field saw mid-low twenties for several hours withno apparent damage. Two weeks later. all the horizontal leaves were toast. In this last freeze, they saw teens for MANY hours, and were actually frozen. As of now they look fine...but I know from experience to wait.

I have hundresd of these, in many different microclimates, so I'll be able to share some interesting data soon.

Geoff

I have a 'double' of this plant (two in a 15 gal a year ago) now about 6' tall seedlings (that's 6' with leaves- no real trunks yet).  Plant is just 8' from my outdoor weather station here in So Cal San Fernando Valley where it was 27F for about 5 hours... nearby Majesty was pretty nicely browned on all leaves, but this plant, as far as I can tell (4 days later) was totally untouched, no protection whatsoever... but I have to add, this palms leaves tend to be mostly upright, and I did get a lot less damage on upright leaves than horizontal leaves...  still, pretty happy with this one... too bad most of the other palms in the lawn fried badly.

As was the case with a few other's plants, this one took its time to show damage... about half leaves fried, though only the horizontal ones.

Whoah!  Another week goes by and this palm is nearly a dried leaf display... guess it just takes time for damage to show on this species. Spikes OK... though I will let you know in another few weeks if that's still true

http://davesgarden.com/journal/j/si/114705/

Gtlevine

I have a large contingent of Ravenea Glauca in my yard. Four large trunking specimens and a slew of various other sizes. All felt like they were on vacation in the Bahamas, one of the toughest palms in my garden. My largest one has been pushing new growth prior to the freeze, the growth not affected either. 27F is definetaly no problem for this species.

Gary

STEVE IN SO CAL

Gary and Geoff...on my larger plants, I can hold a leaflet up to the sun, and see cell damage(spotting)in the leaflet. Time will tell...

MattyB

DypsisDean's Ravenea glauca after 33F....perfect.

post-126-1169226903_thumb.jpg

NorCal

I have two seedlings about a foot tall in 3 gal.treepots. They saw 27°F two nights from under an overhang on South side of my house in McKinleyville Ca. and are looking fine.

DoomsDave

None showed damage for four nights of 28-=29, F, no frost.  Big ones or little ones.

post-208-1170027719_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Shon

Starting to see some significant damage now.Rusty from JM thinks it is about 50/50 whether they will pull through.

BS Man about Palms

I have/had (2) 1 gal plants, almost identical to each other about 3 months ago. I noted one died about 2 months back, the remaining one was barely covered and it seems fine. Was under 30F for 5 nights, 2 of those to 26F.

Maybe the gentically superior ones per Steves thread....  :)

Shon

The fifteen gallon is now RIP,the three gallon will pull through.

STEVE IN SO CAL

Two plants, 5' OA height

22f, multiple hours and nights below freezing, near pool , some canopy

50% defoliated

Fully recovered

STEVE IN SO CAL

Twelve plants, 15 gal

19f, many hours and nights below freezing (shade house)

50% defoliated

Of the 6 that lived, all stuggle somewhat

STEVE IN SO CAL

Thirty two 5 gal

19f, many hours and nights below freezing (shade house)

50% defoliated

20 dead, others stuggle

STEVE IN SO CAL

200 small 5 gal

19f, many hours and nights below freezing (field nursery)

Most killed outright, about 20 still alive, half of those seem fine. One was completely unfazed...saving this one for seed.

Geoff

1.5 years later and only one of two trees described above survived. Weird, though, as neither showed much damage at first- took a week to really show how dead they both were. Both spikes pulled out and tried to recover, with one having a second spike pull out a few months later. then turned to mush. the surviver took about 1 year plus a spring to finally start growing again. Now it's looking good, but basicaly took 16 months to totally recover. 27F may be OK for this palm for a few moments, but over periods of many hours, it is killer! Though I have to admit it may have gotten down to 26F where these palms were.

DoomsDave

Gee, seems a bit redundant . . . .

OUCH!

Danny Boy
:) This is an awesome palm. We have had one in the ground and it did fine, even through the '07 freeze...mind you 20 miles inland. We had several others in our shade-houes(s) and they faired fine through that period...I also want to point out a Kerriodoxa elegans made it through that time period as well(Somewhere around 25 Degrees F as a mature 15 Gallon)

Austinpalm

I have one of these planted under an oak canopy next to a Ravenea rivularis. Both sustained about 50% defoliation from a nighttime temp of 25F. Both have grown somewhat over the summer, but the R. glauca has been very slow. Probably due to it being a much smaller palm (1 gallon) vs. the majesty (10 gallon). We'll see what this winter brings.

freakypalmguy

27F and many hours and nights at or below freezing with many mornings with short periods of light frost. Very slight discoloration.

Xhoniwaters1

3ft in the ground. One night at 23 degrees and has about 50% leaf damage

Phoenikakias

Two consecutive nights with freezing temps and one day with snow. In detail on 1/9/17 from 0:00 am until 9:00   am constantly below zero with below -1 C from 5:30 am to 8:15 am and absolute min. of - 1.8 C from 6:20 am to 6:45 am. Max temperature same day 5.8 C at 1:10 pm. On 1/10/17 constant subzero from 0:00 am to 3:30 am with an absolute min of -0.5 C around midnight. Asolute max. on same day 7.1 pm at 10:06 pm, but snow remained on leaves from dawn to late afternoon. During cold spell dew point was always remaining below actual temperature.  Estern exposure with no overhead canopy. Plant sailed through easily in contrast to a very closely growing Ravenea rivularis (see my input for latter in this subforum and background in second picture, foreground is the glauca).

IMG_20170126_132043.thumb.jpg.86e8e932f8IMG_20170126_131906.thumb.jpg.e870671b80