IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What to do with this info?

PALM MOD

Aw shucks Palmazon and I am all for equal opportunities but where  does it say Gorrilas can join the IPS???!

Regardez

Juan

(well they let me in)

Juan

(Cycadcenter @ Jan. 25 2007,20:40)

Give all the info to Geoff so he can update his Palms for Southern California book which is ALREADY the source book for palms in California.  

I got it out today and walked around the garden and he was pretty much spot on with his palm minimum temperatures.

Why try and reinvent the wheel when there is already a great book which just may require minor tuning.

Just my thoughts

I think an online database is going to be much more accessible the world-over than a book titled "...for Southern California".

When I first started researching palms, I printed out the "Hardiness Observations in Palm Species" by Larry Noblick   http://www.bg-map.com/PLMTBLA.HTML  and studied that over and over, looking up various species and learning.  I loved the tabled format, and when reading other's text cold-hardiness reportings, I often  made notes back on that Noblick table.

Matt in SD had a good suggestion about making available an Excel spreadsheet that we could add to.  

If no table is eventually done, then I vote for keeping all notes by species, not multiple Freeze Forums, but all in one place.  Maybe someone could post (or repost) a definate decision on weather observations to note, for example, if humidity should always be recorded (I have not, but can access that info and add it).  With the way weather is getting so mixed up, I don't think we can keep "categories of types of Freeze events" in our heads and be correct anymore -- for example what is a Florida freeze versus a California freeze versus an Australian freeze.  Everything is changing, and all info is appropriate for everyone.

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

not that I know anything about computers but perhaps we can zip this baby up and for people that want to download the info, they could. Would zipping (compressing) the folder that contains all this data possible and would it make the zipped folder much more smaller in memory size? Of course my ignorance to this computer thing is quite large so this may be a load of crap.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

I am going to paste my answer to Dave from another thread pertaining to where my thoughts are at this point concerning all of this freeze data. Feedback is always appreciated.

Dave,

My thoughts on this "project" are as follows:

As mentioned, there are several references already in existence regarding cold hardiness. Geoff's is excellent, and he has been kind enough to contribute here as well. Someone mentioned that Larry Noblick had/has one too. And a few others.

This is after all a forum, a continuum of thoughts and experiences. It is what we do best. I am all for just letting it continue as is. It is not perfect, but it contains a lot of valuable real time info that a data base can never capture. If someone wants hardiness info on a species, it is here.

However, a data base is also a necessary tool. But aside from being a tremendous amount of work, I think it would be better suited to what will become the research area of the new IPS sebsite. I will lobby, and perhaps you all can as well, to establish such a data base on the new website. Maybe Geoff and Larry, or some volunteers from here, could integrate all this new info with the existing. I think it could be a valuable asset for the IPS.

In the meantime, I'm all for letting our format continue and evolve.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

• 1 year later...
Give all the info to Geoff so he can update his Palms for Southern California book which is ALREADY the source book for palms in California.  

I got it out today and walked around the garden and he was pretty much spot on with his palm minimum temperatures.

Why try and reinvent the wheel when there is already a great book which just may require minor tuning.

Just my thoughts

Record lows are predicted this December for Southern California (even colder than two years ago)... prepare!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

:huh: This thread keeps referring to Southern California, Texas and Florida - Where many forum members are from. What about Kris, or our friends in Australia, New Zealand, New Caledonia, South Africa, Mexico, etc. This is a Forum supported by the "International" Palm Society, we should not lose our focus that we support palms at the International level.

Just my opinion. :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B