IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer Down Under

Pedro 65

We ended up with 325mm (13") over the last couple of days. That should keep the garden going for a little while! Springbrook, which is about 25 minutes drive away received 598mm (20")...the waterfalls up there would be spectacular at the moment, but the road is flooded...

Hi Russel, the palm in the middle is actually a Beccariophoenix 'windows'. Just a blurry photo inthe rain making it look like a Licuala! There is one growing in full sun in Beenleigh that has about 2m of trunk on it.

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Good to know. my little fellas are under shadecloth at the moment seeing they're only from 140mm pots. But in a year or two i think i'll let em have it.

We ended up with 325mm (13") over the last couple of days. That should keep the garden going for a little while! Springbrook, which is about 25 minutes drive away received 598mm (20")...the waterfalls up there would be spectacular at the moment, but the road is flooded...

regards,

Daryl

Man, you guys sure are getting a lot of rain.

I would love to walk under Springbrook falls at the moment, that would be something! I went there a couple of times in September, but there was very little water going over, I was hoping for a big downfall, but of course it never came.

Here it has finally stopped raining. It seems like every day this summer it has rained at some point. But 3 days in a row now with no rain! Hurray! It is still cold in the mornings though??? Very strange for this time of year.

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

http://nzpalmandcycad.com

Got to 39 today with 17C dewpoints.

It's 10.50pm and still 31.5C. Going for a min of 24C and a max of 40C.

Here is the forecast for the week.

Thursday Very hot. Partly cloudy. Min 26 Max 41Friday Very hot. Partly cloudy. Min 25 Max 39Saturday Very hot. Sunny. Min 26 Max 42Sunday Very hot. Windy morning. Min 24 Max 40Monday Very hot. Sunny. Min 23 Max 40Tuesday Very hot. Sunny. Min 26 Max 40Dewpoints will be in the mid to high teens. I might go back to Exmouth in the tropics to cool down. Where we stayed never went above 33C with high humidity.

You can't do anything in this sort of heat. I mowed the lawn around 5.30pm and it was still 37C. Was washing the car at 7.30pm and it was still 35C. Could do with some rain although we got the January average on Sat night.

I hope everyone in QLD fairs OK with their rain and floods.

Best regards

Tyrone

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Oops, that didn't work very well.

Tyrone, am I wrong or is that the most extroadinary heatwave I've ever seen for a capital city in our country?

We've had some decent rain here over the last few days, but nothing like the north coast.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

still raining and still blowing gales... this non-cyclonic event is very severe :rolleyes:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

After only a couple of drizzly showers yesterday, the rain started again last night. Just got another 46mm overnight and it is pouring again outside with a severe thunderstorm headed our way to dump who knows how much more rain. Forecast is for another 100mm + today. Will make for a fun drive up to Brisbane today!

We also have a rain band headed our way from up north (Brisbane) as well...I hate to think what will happen when they meet in the middle!

I think Mike Green (FM Newcal) will be unimpressed ATM as he is getting a direct hit.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Very Dry down here only had 11 mm so far this year @ Old Beach .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Good areas to grow palms are the famous Gold and Sunshine Coast coastal and hinterland areas. I'm almost flooded in this morning as I took my son to the train station across roads covered in water a couple of inches deep only, for now.

Same forecasts and check out the snapshot of rain on the radar.

post-51-006928000 1327611164_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast

Forecast for Friday

Cloudy with showers, increasing to rain at times. A thunderstorm or two with locally heavy falls, particularly during the morning. Moderate to fresh SE to NE winds, gusty at times.

Precis: Showers, storms.

Max 26

Sunshine Coast

Forecast for Friday

Cloudy with showers, increasing to rain at times. A thunderstorm or two with locally heavy falls, particularly during the morning. Moderate to fresh SE to NE winds, gusty at times.

Precis: Showers, storms.

Max 26

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Oyster creek down here just got pelted with 91mm in one hour...serious rain!

Daryl

Oyster creek down here just got pelted with 91mm in one hour...serious rain!

Daryl

The oysters wont be happy...

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Oops, that didn't work very well.

Tyrone, am I wrong or is that the most extroadinary heatwave I've ever seen for a capital city in our country?

We've had some decent rain here over the last few days, but nothing like the north coast.

I don't know. They've revised the temps down a bit to the high 30's for the end of the forecast period.

It was hot yesterday hitting 42C and 43C in some suburbs I drove through yesterday. Then we got a ripper of an electrical storm lastnight that provided heaps of entertainment and 5mm of rain. It's now very humid at 7.30am and 27C with 21 plus dewpoints and cloudy with a forecast of 41C. That's going to be interesting.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Still raining here, although it is steadier now...only 22mm last night and steady drizzle today. I think we are up to almost 700mm for January in this area..made up for our dry December and spring!

Daryl

Woo hoo... finally the monsoon is here!!!! Just a month late :angry: ... manage to sort out our shadehouse which is supposed to be temporary (it has been temporary for 5 years now)... took the shadecloth of that shadehouse and put it in the new one. Put old shadecloth onto the temporary shadehouse just until I get repotting to put in the new shadehouse. Eventually this shadehouse will go... once all are moved to the new one and everything else get planted or given away or thrown away.......

Love the monsoon... hopefully it will hang around so I can get some planting done!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Here on the southern part of the equator in South America it has been quite rainy. This has kept the temperatures down and made the streets a mess.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Lots of steady nonstop rain for the last 5 days. Not the very heavy falls closer to the coast but more than enough to soak right in and re-hydrate the ground. All the palms suddenly look quite fat and there's been some rapid growth spurts. The phone and internet died on thursday and were only fixed today (monday) and not being able to go out and work in the yard with all the rain, I have had a major case of cabin fever. Went out in the car yesterday and had to give Henrietta her first swimming lesson on the way back as the road was underwater. (it was okay on the way out) She swam the 100 metre freestyle, through 30cms of water without a hiccup. Fords rule !!!!

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

28 inches of rain (over 700mm) in the last 2 weeks...good to see some sunshine again :) ...cheers Mike Green (Newcal)

One day of sunshine (yesterday) and this morning it's overcast and drizzling, may never get to mow the back for a month. Palms are pleased, bamboo is bountiful.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Drizzling here too.

We did have about a week of fine weather.

Not very hot though, I don't think we have had a day over 25°C in Auckland this Summer.

It is still often cold in the morning, only 13° a couple of days back. No lows below 16° forecast for the next week.

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

http://nzpalmandcycad.com

January was about 100 mms of rain above the average, or 360 mm. The Amazon region as a whole has had above average rainfall this season.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

TC Iggy looks to have fallen apart just off the coast of Jurien Bay about 200km north of me and the rain looks to have slipped south of me. Anyway we've had some rain, not much, but at 8.30am it's 26C with 83%RH with dewpoints around 23C so I'm definitely not complaining. The last couple of days have felt a bit like QLD. Palms and plants are growing at full throttle.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

20mm of gentle warm rain overnight from Ex TC Iggy. Thankyou tropics. :)

I hope everyone in northern NSW and southern QLD are doing OK in those floods. 2010/2011 all over again. :(

Boring weather is here at the moment.... It seems like these days, you get LOTS of rain or nothing at all... This wet season is certainly not very consistent... Oh well.... the bore will be on again soon.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Glad I have not got a working TV at the moment :unsure:..

AH ignorance is BLISS :winkie:

Was a bit blowy Fri' nite

bit cool yesterday with lots of rain ..

Back to normal today ..

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I knew it was hot today after working all day in it, but it wasn't until I got home and checked the temp on the web that I realised how hot. It got to 40.3C today. A stinker.

Rainfall ytd [year to date] just a little over 500mm

is way down on mean 800mm+.

Local paper reports .

Another week of mainly overcast, very muggy weather but not much in the way of rainfall. I felt so sick all day today and was headachey and throwing up, a sure sign of nasty storm on the way, but the skies were clear for a change. Just after sunset, the lighting was cracking and thunder loud and long enough to rattle the windows. Got 15mm of rain out of it, so I am grateful for small mercies. This weird weather has brought on a mealy bug infestation in some of the inground slow growers, so tomorrow will be a metho and pressure spray day for the sickies. 2 vesties and the rhopie baueri have put out stunted leaves too, so it must be weather related as they are all in different areas of the yard. All the arecas and chambeyronias are growing at an amazing pace so this weird weather suits a few things at least.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Been roughly 20C min and 30C max for the last few days with dewpoints around 17-20C most of the time. Quite muggy to work in.

Three separate thunderstorms last night, with muggy, humid conditions in between them. Palms are loving it, but I could do with some sleep! Those window rattlers would certainly wake the dead...

Daryl

Just what we need...

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE WEATHER WARNING

for Heavy Rain

For people in the Southeast Coast and parts of the Wide Bay and Burnett and

Darling Downs and Granite Belt districts.

Issued at 11:05 am on Friday 24 February 2012

Synoptic Situation: An upper low over southeast Queensland is expected to move

slowly westwards tonight and into NSW on Saturday. A surface trough off the

southern Queensland coast is expected to move onto the coast tonight.

Heavy rain which may lead to flash flooding is expected to develop from this

evening and continue through Saturday morning in the following forecast

districts:

- Southeast Coast;

- Wide Bay and Burnett, southeast of Hervey Bay to Kingaroy;

- far eastern parts of the Darling Downs and Granite Belt

Locations which may be affected include Fraser Island, Gympie, Kingaroy,

Sunshine Coast, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Toowoomba and Warwick.

24 hour rainfall totals of 100 to 150 mm are likely about the coast and nearby

ranges, with isolated rainfall totals in excess of 200mm possible.

If only you could give the weather directions to Southern california... :D

Good Luck

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Here in Amazonia this season is experiencing record rains. There is major flooding in the southern part of the basin, principallly in the state of Acre and southern Amazonas. This means that here on the Negro river we will probably have a record or near record high water mark as all this water makes it´s way down stream. It takes a long time to fill up these rivers. As the Amazon rises in level it dams up the Negro and this is what impacts Manaus. The peak of the high water here is in the end or June or early July. It has been raining every day and I am sure that February also will be above average in rainfall.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Good Luck

Are you sure BS?

A severe weather warning and a severe thunderstorm warning are current for the coastal and adjacent inland areas from around Maryborough to the NSW border. Intense rainfall has been recorded in the coastal areas at Noosa and Tewantin (110mm/hr), and also in Six Mile Creek at Cooroy (175mm/hr) in the Mary River catchment.

175mm/hr is 7 inches of rain in one hour...what would happen in California in those conditions?huh.gif

Daryl

Good Luck

Are you sure BS?

A severe weather warning and a severe thunderstorm warning are current for the coastal and adjacent inland areas from around Maryborough to the NSW border. Intense rainfall has been recorded in the coastal areas at Noosa and Tewantin (110mm/hr), and also in Six Mile Creek at Cooroy (175mm/hr) in the Mary River catchment.

175mm/hr is 7 inches of rain in one hour...what would happen in California in those conditions?huh.gif

Daryl

The road to my place is flooded. Heavy rains, way too much, Tully like. :(

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Good Luck

Are you sure BS?

Daryl

The road to my place is flooded. Heavy rains, way too much, Tully like. :(

your Lippy is loving it Wal , update pic coming soon . rainig today but still way below avg. rainfall , it seems to be going elsewhere ..

your Lippy is loving it Wal , update pic coming soon . rainig today but still way below avg. rainfall , it seems to be going elsewhere ..

It's landing right here on the Sunshine Coast believe me. :(

Great to hear about the lipstick Mike, look forward to a pic or two. :)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

119mm overnight...that should keep the garden going for a while...

Bit cooler lately. Mid twenties today after a min of 12C which is freezing for Feb. Had a little bit of rain too. Back to normal tomorrow. It has been great to rest the air conditioner for a bit.

Shocking wet season here too.... Everything is back to front, inside out this year!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"