IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis ambositrae - odd splitting

MattyB

The original stem of this Dypsis ambostirae, shown on left, did something weird. The last leaf came up with no petiole groove and no hole for another leaf to exit from. It was just like a crownshaft that was sealed off. It just sat there for the last year when finally a new spear pushed up along side the original growing point, which you can now see that secondary growing point on the right. I got curious so I took a razor knife and cut into the old growing point just to see what was in that sealed off cavity. As you can see, it's hollow with no sign of any new spear emerging. There's a second, and separate, D. ambo planted just behind this one, in the same hole as you can see by the pics. That second plant has remained a single stem and has grown faster than this splitter. I don't know that it's actually splitting or just aborting the original growing point. Anyone else have this happen?

post-126-004107800 1322588594_thumb.jpg

post-126-048939800 1322588600_thumb.jpg

post-126-073783500 1322588607_thumb.jpg

post-126-067450900 1322588614_thumb.jpg

post-126-014724200 1322588621_thumb.jpg

post-126-009349600 1322588628_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I've had D. decipiens do that, too.

(They all died . . . . after planting in the Death Camp of Doom . . . :()

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Your going to have yourself a palm like steveos

I doubt it. I don't think that it's forming any above ground trunk yet, so any branch at this point will be subsurface....I think.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Sorry to hijack your thread, MB, but Dave, why did all your decipens cark?

Cheers,

Adam

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

Sorry to hijack your thread, MB, but Dave, why did all your decipens cark?

Cheers,

Adam

Planted too deep, I think.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

If the sealed cavity had no growing point, then I think your palm took a side track. Just a guess, I have that happen with some species of Pritchardia quite often when the growing point is obstructed by disease or damage. But some Dypsis do split, so that's a chance too.:unsure:

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

"I got curious so I took a razor knife and cut- Anyone else have this happen?" nope. :)

Paul--I beat you to this one! haha :)

Same thing my Rhopy baeuri did before it died

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

awwww, that sucks

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matty, those first 4 pics look like Brevinoides to me? which this splitting behaviour is very normal, nothing to worry about, some split more than others and some dont split.

post-0-045744000 1322911612_thumb.jpg

Very odd Matty, I would expect some action still on the first stem, yes, very strange and most interesting. Hopefully it will be a double headed version, one for the scrap books what ? One of my Dypsis pembanas has split into a double header, full report on the six thirty local news channel.

Maybe if the gophers saw you flailing that knife around they might scaboose..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Not Banana split, it's Pembana split. A series of pics to show the beginnings of a double headed Dypsis. This palm has been in good spirits, decent green, growing tall, clumping, unfortunately, I would like a solitary version of this palm. etc.

So why does this splitting occur ? Should I feel guilty ?

post-51-028688900 1323001019_thumb.jpg

post-51-070262800 1323001101_thumb.jpg

post-51-057799700 1323001167_thumb.jpg

post-51-053006100 1323001244_thumb.jpg

post-51-051566900 1323001307_thumb.jpg

post-51-086413400 1323001394_thumb.jpg

post-51-034761200 1323001460_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 1 year later...

What is the current disposition of your palm ? :interesting:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I have also, like Wal had a pembana split. Mine occurred after a spear pull, but retained both growing points. It was very slow at first recovering, and then the second growing point came out real curly, then straightened. It looks better now than with one growing point. Both growing points are pushing healthy spears.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Moose, it ended up abandoning that growing point. You can see it in the pic. These are 12' to the top leaves now.

Pedro, yes they look a lot like the brevinoides, but they have red fuzz and red petioles. True ambo? Not sure anymore.

post-126-0-09575300-1365782930_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-20646100-1365783058_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"