IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis decipiens

Kathy

No damage whatsoever at 24F and no frost.  And this is a palm I dug up and moved last summer.  Multiple nights below 28F, small 15-gal sized.

I think Dypsis in general is coming in stronger than I anticipated in this arctic event.

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

Yours sails through 24F.....and I couldnt even keep my D. decipiens alive in a pot this summer :D

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Three little ones - in the ground 1 1/2 years from 2 gal. pots. 24 degrees... multiple night below freezing, no damage at all.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Dypsis decipiens, 2 gallon plant, in terracotta pot

24.1F, no frost, set about 5 feet from the garage wall, no overhang, some taller stuff around it but no direct overhead canopy.

No damage.  I think I saw it smile at me real slow like. :;):

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Three nights of 25FF (-4 C) no damage to potted specimens in 5-galloners.

A large double, about 3 feet (1 m) tall, in the ground, three nights of 28 F (-1 C) no damage.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(MattyB @ Jan. 16 2007,15:13)

No damage.  I think I saw it smile at me real slow like. :;):

Classic line, Matty!   :D  :D

Dypsis dippy living up to it's reputation at my place (24.9F).  I left one uncovered, 30+ feet away from my fire pots, and it is...

unscathed.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

27F for about 5 hours caused some leaf color changes in a 18" tall, 5 year old seedling, no protection.  Looks like this seedling will nearly completely defoliate.  Hint of a new spike showing that looks green, though.

After checking other local temps that night, seems it might have gotten down to 25F a bit further from the house, so maybe 27F was not an accurate estimation (though accurate some 5' away from this plant).

scroll down to last photo of my seedling and you can see what the cold did to it.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/57406/index.html

This one surprized me... Very healthy 7 ft tall to the top of the emerging spear ) Dypsis Decipiens...

Planted 4 ft from my house , one leaf has some damage as seen in the pic below. About the same damage to my same sized  Parajubea Cocoides... only the p. Cocoides is much further away from my house.

Official Modesto low temp 23f... My garden thermometer low temp 26f.

Jeff

fd.JPG

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Yes! Love this data......keep it coming. These cold data threads should be left up indefinately so that all the members can keep posting.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Six seedlings in treepots starting to put out devided fronds doing fine after 2-27°F nights under East faceing carport, 2 3/4 miles from the Pacific in McKinleyville Ca.

Yesterday, I stopped by the Nickel Palm Nursery in Shafter, CA on my way home from LA.  Phil has had extended freezes with several lows in the 15-18F range.  I noticed three D. decipiens in ground and all three had different damage.  One had moderate damage.  The other two were within 6' of each other.  One was under the canopy of a Livistona chinensis and didn't look too good, but didn't look fatal.  BTW, the L. chinensis was 30-40% tip burned.  The other one was fully exposed and was showing almost now damage.  Mixed results.  Phil is not on this forum, but I think he may show up (at least as a lurker) after this freeze is over and he can rest.

He had more in pots.  Forgot if there was any damage, but they were protected with bonfires and fans.

Sorry, no pictures.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

• 4 weeks later...

15g palms under oak canopy show no damage three weeks after the big freeze.   Owner reports lows several days in the 18-22F range.  Hundreds of C. revoluta a bit lower on the property have completely burned foliage.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

• 2 months later...

Heres a pic taken of my d. decipiens today... a couple of months after the killer freeze of 2007.

Official low was 23f in Modesto.

I would say that these palms are a little more hardy than Washingtonia's and queen palms... As I have seen some damage on those palms in the area.

Jeff

dyp7.JPG

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

• 3 weeks later...

Another pic of my Dypsis Decipiens...

Jeff

dyp2007.JPG

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

• 8 months later...

One plant, 3' OA height.

22f, multiple hours and nights below freezing

20% leaf burn

Fully recovered

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

30 plants, 15 gal to 5 gal size

15 f, 13 hrs below freezing first night, thereafter too depressed to check my hi/lo. 5 nights into the hi teens/low twenties for sure, many hours below freezing

All defoliated, lost over half.  Somewhat surprised they all weren't killed

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Steve,

Were any of these plants protected at all?  While I haven't yet had a good test of their frost tolerance, I've seen all my D. decipiens take day upon day of low daytime highs (mid-/upper-40s) and cold rain without blinking.  I think it may be a winner for the SF bay area as well as SoCal.

Thanks for your cold data.  They are really helpful!

I didn't realize it got so cold down there.  I hope your losses over-all were minimal.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

This palm is too good to be true.  Thanks again for the great data, Steve.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

• 10 months later...

2 nights 29F (not back to back) slight frost.

Small seedling about 14" tall put out it's first two adult leaves this year. No protection. No damage.

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

National Arbor Day zone 9

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

Gulf Coast climate with long hot and humid growing season, but short winters are cold and wet with several frosts. Typical lowest temp of between 22F-26F each winter with around a dozen or so nights below freezing.

• 1 month later...

27F and many hours and nights at or below freezing with many mornings with a short period of light frost. No damage.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 2 months later...

Hello.

I have a Dypsis decipiens with two leafs.

We had a warm winter, we have only reached 3°C. The palm tree has not grown anything... since I bought it, will make about 6 months. Now it begins to move ... :huh:

Actually the termometer marks 20ºC max. and 10ºC min.

Regards.

Sur de Mallorca (39º 58′ 0″ N) - Zona USDA 9b/10a

A fairly small plant, about 12" high, bearing a few decent-sized bifid leaves, planted in pretty much full sun under open sky, slightly raised bed and sand-and-lava-enriched soil. Several freezes this winter, the worst being 15 hours, to 24.1F. No real damage. A few spots here and there but these may very well just be typical beat-up damage from any season. One small portion of the emerging spear looks to be necrotic but it is high up on the spear as opposed to closer in toward the bud (as typically happens in freezes to this weaker tissue on some Livistonas, Trachys, etc.)...so not sure if it is freeze-related or something else. But the palm is quite healthy and pushing a little over 1" per week right now (mid-March).

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

• 2 weeks later...
Another pic of my Dypsis Decipiens...

Jeff

dyp2007.JPG

Jeff that is a nice specimen. Where did you get yours? I'm trying to find something larger then just a seedling.

For what it's worth: I have 2 D. decipiens in 5 gal plastic containers. Mine have suffered more damage from heat than cold. I had a very hot day last summer and I think the roots got cooked. Maybe if they had been in the ground they would have faired better. Mine actually look better in the cooler months than in the summer.

Dick

Richard Douglas

• 10 months later...

Multiple hours below freezing, ultimate low around 20. In a protected location between a pool and pond. Leaves are slightly burned at the tips but the spear pulled. Am hoping this plant will pull through.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 2 months later...

Low of 14F. 14 days straight of below freezing temps. 50% overhead protection. ~30 Plants in pots (3gal to 10gal) and in the ground had some leaf damage and about 8 spears pulled out. Of these only 3 look like they are toast.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 11 months later...

Multiple hours below freezing, ultimate low around 20. In a protected location between a pool and pond. Leaves are slightly burned at the tips but the spear pulled. Am hoping this plant will pull through.

-Krishna

A year (and another bad winter) later the plant has fully recovered and is finally starting to put on a little bit of size! This plant is definitely worth trying if you live in central Florida.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 1 year later...

Another endorsement from the Sacramento Valley.

Three survived a low of 20F in January.

Added another one which is looking strong.

• 7 months later...

-Krishna

A year (and another bad winter) later the plant has fully recovered and is finally starting to put on a little bit of size! This plant is definitely worth trying if you live in central Florida.

-Krishna

...and South Carolina. I am in the center of SC and last winter we had ne night of 22F ad the rest were 25F, 28F and abover freezing. This winter we had about 3 nights with 28F and the rest was 30F and above freezing. So every winter we are getting half zone warmer and that is "officially" "still" a zone 8A....

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown

UPDATE:

Status of 3 one gallon trees planted in 2011:

Lost one last summer that was out in the open unprotected and just ran out of steam after the Jan 2012 hit.

One by a rock near the south side of the house with some cover looks awesome, pushing a beautiful new spear (basically no damage).

One with partial protection from Italian Cypress to its east looked pretty good last summer and fall but has taken a hit this January.

A one gallon that I planted nearby that last one last year looks very good. A betafaka near that one also looks ok.

Status of a 5 gallon planted in open last summer:

Ratty but alive.

I think some will do ok and even well here but microclimates will be key.

• 3 years later...

So could you say that Dypsis decipiens is more cold hardy than a queen palm? or the same?

• 7 months later...
On 10/04/2016, 7:29:54, Opal92 said:

So could you say that Dypsis decipiens is more cold hardy than a queen palm? or the same?

That's a funny question to me, and i will tell you why.

Dypsis decipiens for me is a better grower than Syagrus romanzoffiana is in my climate.

Frost hardiness is about the same here as well.

1 night at -4.7°c ( 23.5°f ) and 11-hours below 0°c ( 32°f ) - About 5-10% damage to most exposed leaves. Palms are fine and growing well.

10 hours ago, Albey said:

That's a funny question to me, and i will tell you why.

Dypsis decipiens for me is a better grower than Syagrus romanzoffiana is in my climate.

Frost hardiness is about the same here as well.

Whole matter is a bit complicated. A well grown plant is always cold hardier than a miserable one and a cool loving palm is well grown in a place with mild to warm summer and vice versa.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2016, 9:33:09, Phoenikakias said:

Whole matter is a bit complicated. A well grown plant is always cold hardier than a miserable one and a cool loving palm is well grown in a place with mild to warm summer and vice versa.

I agree.