IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus princeps stone gate

garrytsen

These princeps are grown from the seeds which we collected in the habitat of Stone Gate.

People used to say blindly the they were green, but our results and some other growers' show they are even more beautiful than people have ever seen or thought. These T.princeps-stone gate as the only officially recognized source now seem to be the most bluish trachycaprus in its genus with white powder even on top as opposed to the green style of T.princeps merely with white coloration to the undersides of leaves.

Don't confuse T.Nova formerly known as green princeps with the green style of T.princeps with green uppersides and white undersides of leaves. :D

princepsking2.jpg

trachycarpusprincepsand.jpg

trachycarpusprincepsfro.jpg

If comparing princeps with other trachycarpus, we can find that even the "greenish" T.princeps in extreme sense is still more bluish on top though probably not all as apparent as those I showed here.It is known to us the white powder is present more or less on the uppersides of leaves, petioles and undersides in princeps, regardtless of the growing conditions.

I also found there are coloration variations in uppersides and undersides of my princeps grown under the same condition , some more blue silver than the others and plus part even in shady conditions sometimes even more blue than some in sunny places,not exactly the way I thought they should be. 68712595.jpg

Moreover, I came to assume that more bluish ones could be from the sheer rocky cliff whereas the less blue ones from the woods at the foot of the cliff as the princeps on the open cliff may need the white powder coating to reduce respiration and deflect strong sunlight.

trachycarpus_princeps_stone_gate.jpg

If people can share his experience, maybe we could get some more insight into this interesting phenomenon as the princeps by any grower are generally more blue than T.fortunei to some extent and so even a grower of less blue princeps can also share as much as a grower of more blue princeps and we have to take into account all possible factors.

great leaf colour and form on T.princeps...:drool:

Palm enthusiast in cold climate

***USDA Hardiness Zones 7a/7b*** AHS heat zone 7***