IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brahea edulis

Kathy

Baby (strap leaf -- approx 14" tall) planted out with no overhead canopy and given no protection to lows of 24F with no frost.  No damage whatsoever.

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

Semi-coastal hills at 1,000 ft, in southern Humboldt county.

It's been about 27F at 10 AM every morning(neighbors in warmer locations said they saw 19F). The pond has an inch of ice, and my 5 gallon potted B.edulis isn't showing any damage(under leafless oak). Seems like this is one tough cookie.

Growing palms in Humboldt!  Very cool!

So do you think your low was at 19F, or even lower?

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

I'm not really sure what the exact low was but my closer neighbor said it was 17F, and it wasn't warming up much in the day. I walked on the shady side of the pond yesterday, and the ice must have been over 2 inches thick, and it had heated up almost to 60F that day!

I guess this has been a good way to cull my less hardy seedlings since about half are dead now.

23 F and no damage.  They had 50% frond damage in the 89/90 freeze but recovered quickly. No trunk damage.

Richard Douglas

B. edulis did OK at 14 degrees, two nights, but the persistent sub-20 lows have left my various specimens, 1-7 feet tall looking kind of sad, moderate to heavy damage.   They have outperformed my w. filiferas, but I'm suspecting there's some robusta from their grandparents' genes.

Jon T.

Jon T-Central CA coastal valley foothills-9A

Forever seeking juania australis...

I have 2 rather large B. edulis with 15'+ of woody trunk and huge heads of fronds.  One is exposed to open sky and the other with light protection from a big Oak tree. (Until yesterday when my Oaks were trimmed. Now they both have open sky).  They were untouched by the recent freezes with a low of about 23F.

With a low of 14F in 1990, they were about 50% damaged, but I was amazed at how fast they grew new fronds. B. edulis has to be the fastest growing of the Braheas.  Mine usually have 3 or 4 sphers at one time. It seems there is always a new frond opening.  This is definately a palm for hot/cold interior valleys and they even grow in San Francisco, but are very slow growing and look stunted over there.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I have a small edulis close on 7' and made the mistake of planting it under a mature Trachy for canopy frost protection. Big mistake because its also under the drip line and last year I discovered some mushy leaves and dozens of woodlice. I dont want to cut the Trachy down so I shall have to lift its crown as we say here (is that term used outside the UK as I havnt heard it elsewhere?)

Here it means removing lower branches or ine case of palms; lower leaves.

I agree with Dick on speed of growth as edulis is taller then an armata that had been panted 2 years earlier.

The latter is in robust health.

Regardez

Juan

Juan

• 2 months later...

my younger edulis didn't show any damage during the freeze- it's about ready to "shoot" so that'll give you an idea of the size. It got down to 23 for 3 days in a row and was under 30 for about 2 weeks striaght. Now that it's growing again I am noticing a bit of brown on the emerging spear. I'm guessing it's from cell damage when the temp-s were so low in the bud. It's just showing in the new growth now.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

• 2 months later...

My lows knocked my palm just a wee bit- a little damage on the post-freeze-emergent leaves. It's growing fast now, the winter didn't seem to phase it at all.

Oakley, California

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

My lows knocked my palm just a wee bit- a little damage on the post-freeze-emergent leaves. It's growing fast now, the winter didn't seem to phase it at all.

Oakley, California

• 1 year later...

Here's one in a Seattle garden that the owner grew from a seed. For a long time it benefited from being next to a single pane window on the south side of the house but it's starting to outgrow that protection. Hard to tell from the pic but it has at least a few feet of trunk. (I should have just knocked on the door to see if the owner was home.... anyways...) along comes our worst winter in a long time and now it looks like this. The center spear still looks in tact and interestingly the leaf that was under the eave looks pretty good. Will it survive? I took this picture in April. I'll go back and check up on it when I get a chance.

img_8797.jpg

And here's what the weather looked like for that neighborhood during our big freeze. The coldest night was about 16 degrees but it was below freezing for a long time and snowed almost two feet.

Magnolia Weather Station History

Sequim, WA. cool and dry

January average high/low: 44/32

July average high/low: 74/51

16" annual average precipitation

• 10 months later...

In Northern italy this winter from january we had a lot of snow first along 3-4 days with temps down to -10 C (14 F) by night and 0 to -3 C (32-26 F) by day , after a week another big snow spell during 2-3 days and temps down to -2 C (28F).

The snow on the leaves for many days dry them, but now in May :

4616005254_72ccdc293e_o.jpg

I'm happy, the palw has been in a pot from 1998 to 2009

best

Federico

Ravenna , Italy

USDA 8a\b

16146.gif

• 3 weeks later...

3-gallon sized plant in ground with partial canopy experienced spear pull from low of 16F and multiple lows in the upper 20's to lower 30's. Has already put forth two new spears.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

• 7 years later...

Nice oversized 15g plants. 20f calm night, outperformed brandegeii but still had burn to 25% of the fronds. Id say these are just as leaf hardy as a livistona chilensis. Outperformed washingtonia filbustra, but NOT similar sized pure filifera. 

20171213_135656.jpg

• Upvote 1