IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butyagrus x

Gtlevine

I have 11 of these planted, five seedlings were added just last November and are unphased. These are right up there alongside Jubaeas as bulletproof.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

27F or even a few degrees colder (it is planted in the lowest part of my garden out by the street), out in the open, no problems!

David Vogelsang

OC, California

Zone 10a

1 gallon baby, planted this fall, 28 F (-1 C)three nights running, no damage so far.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

That's encouraging since I have a seedling that was beat up pretty bad in the summer heat wave...

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

23 F low and no damage.  I have 4 large ones and they were damaged at 14F in the 89/90 freeze.  Only 3 or 4 center fronds remained green but they recovered fairly fast, and very minor trunk damage on the cold side of the trunk.

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Not as good news with my butia x syagrus.  Four nights below twenty, including fourteen degrees twice.

At five feet tall, six months in the ground from St. Augustine, it has some moderate to heavy damage.  It's not as tough as the butias, obviously; it may be a backcross with another syagrus, since another strap-leaf butiagrus has no damage.

Most troubling is the toasted spear -- most of my palms had the worst damage to the older fronds.  

I've been giving the base of the spear squirts of peroxide as a prophylactic measure.  I'm thinking copper next.

Jon T.

Jon T-Central CA coastal valley foothills-9A

Forever seeking juania australis...

• 11 months later...

(FRITO @ Jan. 17 2008,00:29)

3 gallon saw 23 degrees. from Moultrie palms (resembles queen more so)

no damage, not frost that night.

Keep the info coming.  I am thinking on 3 from Moultrie soon in 15g size, which is also a sizeable investment.  Every bit of info helps to insure I am making the right investment.

PS - FRITO, I smile everytime I see that screen name.  Don't know why but it tickles my funny bone every time you post.  Great choice.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

This isnt current but may be of interest,

I had one of Merrills out in 1989

It was a 3 gallon planted that year. Very cold 2 or 3 nights in teens with a low of 16 F.  I lost the spear but returned. It has at least 14 feet of trunk currently.

Large ones at college werent hurt. Of more value is that Walter Rogers had a large one at his house in Yacht Club Road. It went through 83' and 85' freezes which were substantially colder. Merrill can likely relate other info for Gainesville.

Ted Waas and the Late Charlie Raulerson have a dated principes article relating its survival in 1962 freeze.

All ofterh freezes here in Jax have been irrevelant after these.

Best regards,

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

One plant, 2' OA height

19f, many hours and nights below freezing

25% leaf burn

Fully recoverd

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

• 11 months later...

27F and many hours and nights at or below freezing with many mornings with short periods of light frost. 3ft. tall, no damage

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 2 weeks later...

Young Butyagrus x approx 3ft tall took -2C (28F) with no damage whatsoever, plus a few more nights at or just below freezing. Temperatures were below freezing for as long as 15 hours on one occassion...

post-46-1232212812_thumb.jpg

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

• 1 year later...

From Moultrie Palms. Multiple hours below freezing with ultimate low around 20. Some tips of leaves burned but ultimately one of the best performing palms in my yard. This is the first time I have seen these damaged at all, it was COLD!!!

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Severe Damage to exposed southerly Facing Mules in zone 8b/9a after Jan 2010 Freeze in College Station, Texas and Hempstead, Texas. (15.5 to 20F) Shaded ones look fine.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

• 2 weeks later...

My 1,2 m. palm is in its pot suffered a bit from the dicember cold snap here in northern Italy, in a cold greenhouse survived after 2 nights at -7°C and -5° C (19° and 23° F) now has many little spot in the leaves

best

Federico

Federico

Ravenna , Italy

USDA 8a\b

16146.gif

• 5 weeks later...

Update, Spear pull march 31st on Mule Palm after a low of 15.5 ( below 20 for only 4 or 5 hours). Looks like 16 to 18 degrees is its limit without some damage.

Ryan - CollectorPalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

• 3 weeks later...

Low of 14F. 14 days straight of below freezing temps. Minor or no overhead protection. 5 Plants in the ground ranging from 3 to 5 ft tall. One spear pull (jury's still out on whether it will recover) and one spear damaged but appears to be fine.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 4 weeks later...

My 1,2 m. palm is in its pot suffered a bit from the dicember cold snap here in northern Italy, in a cold greenhouse survived after 2 nights at -7°C and -5° C (19° and 23° F) now has many little spot in the leaves

best

Federico

After 2 montes the spear is now dry, I hope it will recovery

bye

Federico

Ravenna , Italy

USDA 8a\b

16146.gif

Palm with the "pulled" spear is pushing out a new spear, and this was after loosing 3 of its new leaves in slow succession. Kept inoculating it with peroxide.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 4 weeks later...

PICTURE UPDATE;: 4 months after Jan 2010 freeze of 19F and many hours below 32 at Peckerwood Gardens, Hemstead Texas Zone 9a.

mulepalmpeckerwood2010may.JPG

Ryan Fuller

www.collectorpalms.com

• 1 month later...

My butyagrus took 16F this past winter and only had minor damage at the growth point. Growing well this summer. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

• 2 years later...

I have a couple in my large cold frame that had a couple weeks at 25 degree nights, no problems but it gets hot in there in the day if the sun peeks out and it did.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

3 gallon, in the ground took 16F in December with three days below freezing, then low of 21F in February three days below freezing. Protected with small blanket around trunk and then larger blanket over palm. No damage what so ever, has some canopy above from holly tree.

• Like 1