Sign in to follow this  
Gtlevine

Butyagrus x

Gtlevine

I have 11 of these planted, five seedlings were added just last November and are unphased. These are right up there alongside Jubaeas as bulletproof.

Gary

BigWaveDave

27F or even a few degrees colder (it is planted in the lowest part of my garden out by the street), out in the open, no problems!

DoomsDave

1 gallon baby, planted this fall, 28 F (-1 C)three nights running, no damage so far.

dave

Patrick

That's encouraging since I have a seedling that was beat up pretty bad in the summer heat wave...

Geoff

25F-26F for 5 hours, 1' tall seedling- no damage

PalmGuyWC

23 F low and no damage.  I have 4 large ones and they were damaged at 14F in the 89/90 freeze.  Only 3 or 4 center fronds remained green but they recovered fairly fast, and very minor trunk damage on the cold side of the trunk.

• Upvote 1

Jon T

Not as good news with my butia x syagrus.  Four nights below twenty, including fourteen degrees twice.

At five feet tall, six months in the ground from St. Augustine, it has some moderate to heavy damage.  It's not as tough as the butias, obviously; it may be a backcross with another syagrus, since another strap-leaf butiagrus has no damage.

Most troubling is the toasted spear -- most of my palms had the worst damage to the older fronds.  

I've been giving the base of the spear squirts of peroxide as a prophylactic measure.  I'm thinking copper next.

Jon T.

FRITO

3 gallon saw 23 degrees. from Moultrie palms (resembles queen more so)

no damage, not frost that night.

_Keith

(FRITO @ Jan. 17 2008,00:29)

3 gallon saw 23 degrees. from Moultrie palms (resembles queen more so)

no damage, not frost that night.

Keep the info coming.  I am thinking on 3 from Moultrie soon in 15g size, which is also a sizeable investment.  Every bit of info helps to insure I am making the right investment.

PS - FRITO, I smile everytime I see that screen name.  Don't know why but it tickles my funny bone every time you post.  Great choice.

edbrown_III

This isnt current but may be of interest,

I had one of Merrills out in 1989

It was a 3 gallon planted that year. Very cold 2 or 3 nights in teens with a low of 16 F.  I lost the spear but returned. It has at least 14 feet of trunk currently.

Large ones at college werent hurt. Of more value is that Walter Rogers had a large one at his house in Yacht Club Road. It went through 83' and 85' freezes which were substantially colder. Merrill can likely relate other info for Gainesville.

Ted Waas and the Late Charlie Raulerson have a dated principes article relating its survival in 1962 freeze.

All ofterh freezes here in Jax have been irrevelant after these.

Best regards,

Ed

STEVE IN SO CAL

One plant, 2' OA height

19f, many hours and nights below freezing

25% leaf burn

Fully recoverd

freakypalmguy

27F and many hours and nights at or below freezing with many mornings with short periods of light frost. 3ft. tall, no damage

SouthSeaNate

Young Butyagrus x approx 3ft tall took -2C (28F) with no damage whatsoever, plus a few more nights at or just below freezing. Temperatures were below freezing for as long as 15 hours on one occassion...

post-46-1232212812_thumb.jpg

krishnaraoji88

From Moultrie Palms. Multiple hours below freezing with ultimate low around 20. Some tips of leaves burned but ultimately one of the best performing palms in my yard. This is the first time I have seen these damaged at all, it was COLD!!!

-Krishna

Collectorpalms

Severe Damage to exposed southerly Facing Mules in zone 8b/9a after Jan 2010 Freeze in College Station, Texas and Hempstead, Texas. (15.5 to 20F) Shaded ones look fine.

fdrc65

My 1,2 m. palm is in its pot suffered a bit from the dicember cold snap here in northern Italy, in a cold greenhouse survived after 2 nights at -7°C and -5° C (19° and 23° F) now has many little spot in the leaves

best

Federico

Collectorpalms

Update, Spear pull march 31st on Mule Palm after a low of 15.5 ( below 20 for only 4 or 5 hours). Looks like 16 to 18 degrees is its limit without some damage.

Ryan - CollectorPalms

tank

Low of 14F. 14 days straight of below freezing temps. Minor or no overhead protection. 5 Plants in the ground ranging from 3 to 5 ft tall. One spear pull (jury's still out on whether it will recover) and one spear damaged but appears to be fine.

fdrc65

My 1,2 m. palm is in its pot suffered a bit from the dicember cold snap here in northern Italy, in a cold greenhouse survived after 2 nights at -7°C and -5° C (19° and 23° F) now has many little spot in the leaves

best

Federico

After 2 montes the spear is now dry, I hope it will recovery

bye

tank

Palm with the "pulled" spear is pushing out a new spear, and this was after loosing 3 of its new leaves in slow succession. Kept inoculating it with peroxide.

Collectorpalms

PICTURE UPDATE;: 4 months after Jan 2010 freeze of 19F and many hours below 32 at Peckerwood Gardens, Hemstead Texas Zone 9a.

mulepalmpeckerwood2010may.JPG

Ryan Fuller

www.collectorpalms.com

iamjv

My butyagrus took 16F this past winter and only had minor damage at the growth point. Growing well this summer. Jv

ErikSJI

Any updates on how the Mule palms are doing? I know some people had some bad weather.

palmscape

I have a couple in my large cold frame that had a couple weeks at 25 degree nights, no problems but it gets hot in there in the day if the sun peeks out and it did.

• Like 1

Palm crazy

3 gallon, in the ground took 16F in December with three days below freezing, then low of 21F in February three days below freezing. Protected with small blanket around trunk and then larger blanket over palm. No damage what so ever, has some canopy above from holly tree.

• Like 1