IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coccoloba pubescens

Cindy Adair

This shrub/tree grows linearly and is tall and gangly on our farm, but makes up for it with the new leaf color. Of course it might branch if I tried pruning it. As of now it takes up only a small bit of space for what it gives in beauty and requires no care at all.

post-4111-096686200 1321448860_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Nice, is this a planted specimen or a wild growing one ?

It and our one other were planted more than 5 years ago by the farm's previous owner. I see lots of the common seaside Coccoloba in Puerto Rico but the C. pubescens I've seen so far were all planted by collectors.

Cindy Adair

This species, along with C. rugosa are my favorites. I have both in the yard and just recently my C. rugosa had a bright, red flower spike. Love these plants!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This species, along with C. rugosa are my favorites. I have both in the yard and just recently my C. rugosa had a bright, red flower spike. Love these plants!

Kinda like this, Jeff?

post-1566-043678200 1321533129_thumb.jpg

Jody

Do not prune it!!! :sick: You should try to air layer it. After you remove the air layer, you may get the branching effect that you desire. Then you can either plant your air layer in your garden or give it to another fortunate soul. :innocent: That is a much desired and sought after plant in Florida. :drool:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Here is another shot of the inflorescence of C. rugosa further along (on a very small plant!):

post-1566-050147300 1321540254_thumb.jpg

And one of our larger plants that we have at the nursery:

post-1566-027774100 1321540284_thumb.jpg

I should note that all of our C. rugosa got hit real hard this past winter; some even died. They are much less cold-tolerant than C. pubescens, which simply dropped their leaves.

Back to C. pubescens, here is a photo of one of our larger specimens:

post-1566-072540800 1321540387_thumb.jpg

And this shot gives you an idea of the sheer size of the leaves as the plants attain a large size:

post-1566-001174200 1321540432_thumb.jpg

I think this latter species will become much more popular here in south Florida, much more so than C. rugosa due to its increased cold tolerance.

Enjoy!

Jody

Do not prune it!!! :sick: You should try to air layer it. After you remove the air layer, you may get the branching effect that you desire. Then you can either plant your air layer in your garden or give it to another fortunate soul. :innocent: That is a much desired and sought after plant in Florida. :drool:

Good idea!

Cindy Adair

Here is another shot of the inflorescence of C. rugosa further along (on a very small plant!):

post-1566-050147300 1321540254_thumb.jpg

And one of our larger plants that we have at the nursery:

post-1566-027774100 1321540284_thumb.jpg

I should note that all of our C. rugosa got hit real hard this past winter; some even died. They are much less cold-tolerant than C. pubescens, which simply dropped their leaves.

Back to C. pubescens, here is a photo of one of our larger specimens:

post-1566-072540800 1321540387_thumb.jpg

Lovely photos! Thanks for posting them! I read that C. rugosa is plentiful in the wild in PR and sure enough, the flowers look quite familiar, although I'm not sure if I've seen them on my farm or elsewhere.

And this shot gives you an idea of the sheer size of the leaves as the plants attain a large size:

post-1566-001174200 1321540432_thumb.jpg

I think this latter species will become much more popular here in south Florida, much more so than C. rugosa due to its increased cold tolerance.

Enjoy!

Jody

Lovely photos! Thanks for posting them! I read that C. rugosa is plentiful in the wild in PR and sure enough, the flowers look quite familiar, although I'm not sure if I've seen them on my farm or elsewhere.

Cindy Adair

Now I'll really have to pay attention (and take photos) if I think I see C. rugosa in PR in the wild. I'll email the former owner of my farm (who still lives on another farm nearby) and ask if she's seen this plant.Thanks for the additional important information.

Cindy Adair

Actually, this species is highly endangered and quite rare in the wild in PR:

http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/34012/0

Jody

Jody,

Thanks for the great information and your pictures. I appreciate seeing this.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 9 years later...

With regret no pic atm bec all are given as gifts but spray painting pubescens leaves both sides with gold or silver makes an outstanding feature e.g. Xmas wreath,  Adam fig leaf, ....