IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis

epicure3

29 Sun and Tues AM. No frost

Extensive browning on all but newest frond. Covered with blanket. Not good.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I cheated the cold; mine is in a pot, moved it into the garage every night, back out in the sun during the day.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

The one good thing about these palms is that, although they can be cold tender, they can also be bundled and wrapped (and a little extra heat added via rope light, etc) easily for many many years.  The foliage is so stiff that the bundling really doesnt cause any damage.  The same goes for Spindles.  It seems possible to keep them alive (almost) no matter what.  After this dawned on me, I planted 6 more Hyophorbes.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this forum is specifically for CA plants, but there is a Hyophorbe lagenicaulis that survived a Galveston winter out in the open unprotected.  This is a 5-gallon sized palm purchased at Home Depot and planted in late summer or fall 2006.  It was colder than average this winter: December started off bad with a low of 35 on the first, January average was 59/48 with an absolute low of 35, February average 63/49 with an absolute low of 33.  All of the original fronds were brown and crispy but it has recently opened a new green leaf in the middle of March.  The low temperatures were quite prolonged, sometimes surrounded by days where the high would only be in the mid-forties.  This isn't my palm.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

No such luck up here in the great white north (region of the Houston/Galveston area).

Something posessed one of my neighbors to plant 2 of those giant 50gal Home Depot bottle palms in mid-January.  We got down to 26F (<32F for about 8 hours) and both of them are now bent over at the crown - definitely in palm heaven.

I have 2 of them in pots which went in the garage every night below 38F.  They're looking great now next to the pool  :)

Matt R - Katy, TX

Elevation 100ft (30m) - Zone 9a

Gumbo (clay) soil

Summer (May-Sep) Highs - upper-90'sºF (37ºC) Hot Humid

Winter (Dec-Jan) Lows - upper-30’sºF (3ºC) Mild/Cool Humid

Yearly Minimum - 26º (-4ºC). 1989 Record Low 6º (-14ºC).

50-60 inches rain annual

• 9 months later...

Went below 32F at 330am, went back above 32F by 830am. 5 total hours of freezing temperatures. Ultimate low of 29.7F with 7.6 "freezing degree hours" calculated as discussed in the weather forum. Moderate winds varying from NNW to NNE all night, dewpoints in low teens, no frost. No overhead canopy in my yard. No protection provided. Photos from 4 days after the freeze event.

Variable damage from minimal to moderate.

Full northwest and north exposure:

IMG_4130Large.jpg

5 feet away but with other plantings surrounding it:

IMG_4129Large.jpg

East side of house under queen palm near house:

IMG_4178Large.jpg

Neighbor's bottle on left:

IMG_4124Large.jpg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

The Hyophorbe lagenicaulis at McCarty Hall had all its fronds burned at around 28.7 F during this year's freeze. It's spear was even burned, except for the lower section... it looks like it will make a comeback though. The Latania lodigessii about 50 meters away had no damage, although it is growing underneath a light canopy.

I'm always up for learning new things!

That is still amazing to me that a Spidle is growing up in the Northern hinterlands!

What you look for is what is looking

• 7 months later...

Mine did fine this winter. Went through two 27 degree mornings in the comfort of my living room with no damage. However, my neighbor planted one in his front yard and it got completely defoliated. Believe it or not, the plam came back and looks fine now.

Here is a picture of mine basking in the August sun. It will never see winter from anywhere except my living room.

DSCF2106.jpg

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

Average maximum high temperature 93.60 F

Average maximum low temperature 45.20 F

The annual average precipitation is 53.34 Inches

• 4 months later...

I have two in the ground, about a 25gallon size both have alot of spotting after 2nd night at or below 32f one of those with heavy frost.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LeftCoastAngler

These are tough little palms. (per weather data thread)

My biggest around six feet tall completely toast:

CIMG4783.jpg

And here's the comeback:

CIMG4737.jpg

And here's three lil'uns that just might not make it:

[CIMG4786.jpg

No overhead protection in the backyard. :(

Edited by LeftCoastAngler

These are tough little palms. (per weather data thread)

My biggest around six feet tall completely toast:

CIMG4783.jpg

And here's the comeback:

CIMG4737.jpg

This is a FL obs, so I apologize if it doesn't belong here. My bottle, which is barely 6' OA, looks just like the first one in LeftCoastAngler's photo. Since we're pretty sure the temp didn't get below 34.9/35F, I was totally puzzled. MattyB kindly cleared up the problem, that bottles can start showing damage at 40. Well, this guy of mine saw mid-30's for 2 nights, and nothing else was badly damaged, a few spots here and there but nothing serious (cold-related, that is).

So thank you for posting the comeback pic, LeftCoast! I will hang onto the hope that my bottle will survive, and if it does, it will be protected next time there is a threat. I'm upset though, because up the road, the (unprotected) bottles look fine.

Yes, I should have protected it. No I didn't. :(

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Leftcoast,

That is sad to see that kinda damage to the big bottle. Hopefully it will grow out of the damage? It is strange the randomness of some of this damage around Florida.Even in my own neighborhood one house a certain palm will be fried, then 2 two house down the same palm,completely untouched.Same basic cultural conditions,ie overhead canopy,no overhead canopy, fertilizer or how healthy the palm was before the freeze might have some bearing.However it still puzzles me walking and driving around town.

I also have to ask, sorry...

Why didn't you take the little container bottles inside for the night?

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Guest LeftCoastAngler

I just plain forgot about them to be honest w/ ya.

I was so worried about stuff out front, didn't really take into account that the backyards more susceptible due to no canopy of any sort...

~LCA.

• 3 years later...

Tried twice here a few years back and gave up.

Both were out in open without cover.

We often dip into the low 20sF.

Don't think I'll try again.

• 8 years later...

My Lagenicaulis and Verschaffeltii in pots and in the ground and less than 10' from the house were fine under canopy at 31F, with medium frost everywhere else in the back yard.  They were essentially undamaged, with just a little bit of yellowing and spotting. 

5x Verschaffeltii in the front yard bed next to the garage were at 31F and exposed to frost with about 50-75% leaf burn. 

1x Lagenicaulis and 3x Verschaffeltii on the east side (about 8' from the house) were exposed to frost.  Lagenicaulis was 100% burned but is opening up a new spear in mid-February.  Verschaffeltii were about 50% burned.

Lagenicaulis and Verschaffeltii exposed to frost at 28F in the back yard were completely defoliated.  2x trunking Verschaffeltii are trying to open new fronds, one spear is mostly open and looks pretty decent.  2x Lagenicaulis have burned spears and might open around early March.

Given this experience I'll be moving the survivors to sheltered areas before next winter.