IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Let's say I'm crazy enough to plant a Cyrtostachys renda in the ground..

rprimbs

If you want to grow it in full sun you must keep it sitting in a tray of water. The leaves will turn a yellowish green in sun and I still caution about full summer afternoon sun in SFL. I kept mine under shadecloth on my back lanai where they got filtered sun. Their leaves stayed a rich dark green that I much prefer to yellow-green that yours has. As for weather, you should be fine until next fall.

Welcome to PalmTalk

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

4 hours ago, JANAIY said:

I was told morning sun only, not colder under 40 F , lots of water, humidity and using mancozeb  (dethane) in the winter month. 

I don't know about 40F. It may get killed at 40F. Usually I cover and heat mine any time it gets below 48F. Two weeks ago I was out of town and it went down to 46F for only an hour or so. I didn't feel like bothering my wife to put up the portable greenhouse and a heating setup. I figured: it's only 46F - how bad can it get? Well, I sure came home to find some leaf damage :(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JANAIY said:

I was told morning sun only, not colder under 40 F , lots of water, humidity and using mancozeb  (dethane) in the winter month. 

I don't know about 40F. It may get killed at 40F. Usually I cover and heat mine any time it gets below 48F. Two weeks ago I was out of town and it went down to 46F for only an hour or so. I didn't feel like bothering my wife to put up the portable greenhouse and a heating setup. I figured: it's only 46F - how bad can it get? Well, I sure came home to find some leaf damage :(

Now in the ground for 15 years...lost tallest during 2010 freeze.

I’ll get it cleaned up for a close-up Mr DeMille

2A8B97A9-EFDB-4B1C-9A74-4BBDFA94E1FF.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

I have been watering it mostly every day with rain water when I have it. Otherwise I keep everyday tap water in the sun all day and than I use it to water and spray the leaves as many times as I can during the day since humidity at the moment is probably not yet what this palm prefers. While it stands in the morning sun it sits in water. In the afternoon I take it out of the water. Even I was told to water around 3-4 times in a week I water mostly every day or 2 days and for now it seems that it works pretty good.

We have now 2 nights going down to 50 F and I took the palm inside just to be safe.

I hope I am doing the right things.  I ordered dethane 45 just in case but not sure if I should still apply it since March is already here and the spring should be around the corner.  What do you guys use to fertilize this beauty? 

IMG_2595.thumb.jpg.d3da0ceb5c4edb6e485d631d8b12ab7e.jpg