IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Marojejya insignis

realarch

These are by far the slowest growing palms in my garden. Waiting for them to 'leap' after planting almost 2 years ago. Semi-shade with good drainage and

plenty of moisture. They look pretty good and were planted as 1 gal., but still are pretty small. I did a search and ran across posts awhile back with seedling problems, wondering how those are doing.

'Grasshopper' is getting impatient. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

post-1300-032653600 1320818259_thumb.jpg post-1300-063051200 1320818372_thumb.jpg post-1300-003647500 1320818392_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim, I only have one M. insignis (about half the size of yours) and it's one of the slowest palms in my collection. I hope this is one of those palms that speeds up a little when it gets larger.

Here it is after it was recently repotted

post-747-027402200 1320858837_thumb.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Here is my M. insignis in a 3g pot. I keep it undershadecloth on the back lanai.

post-1349-062127600 1320971060_thumb.jpg post-1349-092956900 1320971075_thumb.jpg

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 4 months later...

Anyone know about/have experiences with this palm(good or bad) in South Florida? I would like to try one, but I would also like to know more about it...

Anyone know about/have experiences with this palm(good or bad) in South Florida? I would like to try one, but I would also like to know more about it...

Andrew,

I actually have one small one in the ground which gets a little morning sun and is actually doing pretty well. Its way too early to tell though.

Manny

Andrew,

I actually have one small one in the ground which gets a little morning sun and is actually doing pretty well. Its way too early to tell though.

Manny

Andrew - I would suggest kkeping this palm in a container on a shaded patio.Keep stepping it up over the years and then plant it when it out grows the patio situation.

Just my opinion. :unsure:

Tim - your palm looks happy. It will grow. :D

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 9 months later...

Glad I found this thread, wow my Marojejya sp has never looked like a split leaf darianii... Marojejya must be "Very variable" :) I look fwd to more pics of everyones Insignis. Pete :)

post-5709-0-88614500-1357963750_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-87713300-1357963905_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

I am down to my last 2 Marojejya Insignis seedlings. I keep them in the shade house in large pots but one by one they eventually turn yellowish then develop brown tips on the leaves and then slowly die.

What's happening ?

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

I am down to my last 2 Marojejya Insignis seedlings. I keep them in the shade house in large pots but one by one they eventually turn yellowish then develop brown tips on the leaves and then slowly die.

What's happening ?

Gene, did or do yours look like my above post..but much smaller of course...or..like Tim, Jeffs an Megs? I really think all the Insignis I have seen in Oz that look like Tim, Jeffs and Megs are actually Darianii ?? especially if mine is an Insignis ( variant ) :) Pete

You know Pete, I was looking at one of my smaller M. darianii and then looked at my( acquired as) M. insignis and thought, hell, I can't even tell the difference between the two. In fact my smaller

M.darianii looks more pinnate than the one I acquired as M. insignis. The later is slow, much more so than the two M. darianii I have in the ground.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

You know Pete, I was looking at one of my smaller M. darianii and then looked at my( acquired as) M. insignis and thought, hell, I can't even tell the difference between the two. In fact my smaller

M.darianii looks more pinnate than the one I acquired as M. insignis. The later is slow, much more so than the two M. darianii I have in the ground.

Interesting eh, i thought they where very similar till mine was reputed as Insignis ( well variant insignis)

Tim, even when I see darianii and insignis side by side for sale in Oz they "look the same'

Oh, death. M. insignis.

Just death, but good to see life in other places.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

i have three all purchaced as darianii. one which is really slow and still has entire leaves is looking like being insignis. the other two are different again, one getting very elongate petioles and irregular leaflets???

i have three all purchaced as darianii. one which is really slow and still has entire leaves is looking like being insignis. the other two are different again, one getting very elongate petioles and irregular leaflets???

got any pictures ?? do any resemble my post 7 ?

Well, for comparison, here are 2 M. darianii from the garden

post-3609-0-87617400-1358057023_thumb.jp post-3609-0-66738200-1358057040_thumb.jp

A little more mature M. darianii from the JD Andersen garden (HI):

post-3609-0-22033100-1358057450_thumb.jp

and a 20+ year old M. darianii at the Hilo zoo.

post-3609-0-49110300-1358057053_thumb.jp

gmp

• Upvote 2

Dr. George, what's that black snake like thing around the base of your palms? :mrlooney:

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Dr. George, what's that black snake like thing around the base of your palms? :mrlooney:

The thing that keeps 'em alive through a drought like the one we're still having on the West side. Kim is already tempting me to cross over to the other side, don't you start too. :D gmp

here are a couple of crappy pics from my phone. the first is what i think is insignis:

2013-01-13_18-51-47_445_zps713304b9.jpg

these are the other two:

2013-01-13_18-54-09_202_zpsa9fc4bb3.jpg

• Upvote 2

th

here are a couple of crappy pics from my phone. the first is what i think is insignis:

these are the other two:

Harry, the bottom 2 are insignis, top darianii..Mine "never" looked like yr long petiole insignis even at the same size..Daishy reckons mine" isnt an insignis" and feels strong for a Lemur..now I should add that Jeff saw some crappy pics of mine and I blahhed on about Claytons Marojejya ..Jeff was having a "very busy day' and no doubt the quickest way out was for him to say 'yes Pete i agree, just so he could ' get back to his day' Apologies Jeff.. . :) Pete

I know I've posted these same photos before, but they are all I have. Hover for names.

Come April I'll have some new photos finally, assuming they are still alive.

They are from Jeff Marcus several years ago, but are doing fine growth wise for my expectations. They

were tiny when I planted them and then they have to take care of themselves in the jungle.

post-4111-0-28394000-1358080393_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-30135500-1358080410_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-41754100-1358080435_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-99473600-1358080452_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

mine are still small and they look just like the palm in the first photo in post #18 (fan palm)

I always suspected they looked like M. Darianii but I always assumed that they would eventually develope more splits on the leaves.

In any case what do I do to prevent them from yellowing and developing these brown tips?

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

THis is one of the two I have left. I am no longer sure if it is M. Insignis or darianii

In any case, like the others that have perished before it-- it is now turning an anemic yellow and the leaf edges are also turning brown.

These eventually turn all brown like they were dehydrated.

How do I solve this?

post-1017-0-13235300-1358123038_thumb.jp

post-1017-0-38263800-1358123115_thumb.jp

post-1017-0-58779500-1358123169_thumb.jp

Gene

Manila, Philippines

THis is my smallest one that so far is OK but I do think it is starting to get yellowish too. I don't give these any fertilizers--Is there something I should add to the soil?

Those leaves are about a foot long-- just to give you an idea.

post-1017-0-05640000-1358123301_thumb.jppost-1017-0-57661900-1358123345_thumb.jp

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Make sure your pots are fast free draining Gene.. Nutricote total and a little dolomite would help immensely too. :) Pete

M. insignis at the "Parc de Tsimbazaza" - Antananarivo :

GBPIX_photo_546973.jpg

GBPIX_photo_546970.jpg

GBPIX_photo_546974.jpg

Great pics of a Very Grand Looking Palm Oliver, For me, Insignis has more "Charisma" than darianii... thanks again. Pete :)

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...

I am surprised to see Marojejya at Antananarivo. How cold does it get there?

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

On Sun Jan 13 2013 15:05:20 GMT+0530 (Sri Lanka Standard, fan palm said:

these are the other two:

any updates 

I won a seedling from a friend, can confirm is Marojejya insignis. See detail spotted petiole.574f1a9b2d40f_Marojejyainsignis003.thumb574f1ad76784c_Marojejyainsignis001.thumb574f1af90fe78_Marojejyainsignis002.thumb

Caixeta

I would say yes, M. insignis. The length of the petiole would be the clue, M. darianii has none. 

In fact my two that I acquired as M. insignis have turned out to be M. darianii. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

42 minutes ago, realarch said:

Eu diria que sim, M. insignis. O comprimento do pecíolo seria a pista, M. darianii não tem nenhum. 

Na verdade a minha dois que eu adquiri como M. insignis têm acabou por ser M. darianii. 

Tim

Thanks.

Caixeta

8 hours ago, caixeta said:

I won a seedling from a friend, can confirm is Marojejya insignis. See detail spotted petiole.574f1a9b2d40f_Marojejyainsignis003.thumb574f1ad76784c_Marojejyainsignis001.thumb574f1af90fe78_Marojejyainsignis002.thumb

This looks a lot like Masaola madagascariensis

• Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

1 minute ago, Daryl said:

Yes , very well spotted Daryl, I 100% agree.

Pete  :)

You know whats weird is I have a Masoala again in a 1 gal (Voles killed my big 5 gal.. :angry: ) and the colors and speckling match, but the petiole base looks way too thin.. Its almost like a cross between the two...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill, Daryl nailed it, Mauricio, consider yourself a lucky dude, thats a fantastic size Masoala mad, the largest 5 leaves/fronds look well over 1 ft , plant it out in full sun "now" where it always moist.

Thanks to Clayton he sold me 2 he had left, the 1 with continual moisture is "rooting downwards" really well, its only a quart the size of yours Mauricio ( caixeta} 

Pete  :)

• Upvote 1

Maybe different growing conditions, but here is a link to some pics of my old larger one. Maybe its a deceptive pic in that those leaves may only be 6-8".. what do I know, I'm up past my bedtime...lol

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/22345-fun-finds-at-sfillss-phils/

But a wise man will not take an opposing view to Pete and Daryl as their track record is phenomenal.. :interesting: :winkie:

PS- I always noticed the Ravenea krociana had similar mottling and colors too.

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

9 hours ago, Daryl said:

Thank you very much Daryl.  Caixeta

Caixeta

On 6/1/2016, 12:23:40, realarch said:

I would say yes, M. insignis. The length of the petiole would be the clue, M. darianii has none. 

In fact my two that I acquired as M. insignis have turned out to be M. darianii. 

Tim

How about some pictures?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Oh Daryl, yo da man! I do vaguely remember now when my Masoala mad. was small that it had similar markings, but the leaves and sheathes were tightly

bunched kind of like Voanioala. I did take some photos when it was younger, just need to find them. 

Caixeta, lucky you. Not a common palm at all. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii