IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Freeze Durations

ZoneTenNut

Scanning through all the SoCal freeze threads, I'm just blown away by the number of hours below freezing many are experiencing and how this will affect their palms.

What are your experiences and how cold for how long? What kind of damage did you receive from it and what made it and what didn't? What did you do to protect your stuff, if anything? What microclimates helped (ie. southern side of house)? Windbarriers?

Here in West Palm Beach, Florida, we hit upper 20's in the 89 arctic blast, but temps quickly rebounded, so the duration wasn't long. As such, many things got burned, but survived. Curious to know what others experiences have been, on a prolonged cold snap.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Roger,

In 1989, Tampa bottomed out at 24F and was below freezing starting at 4PM on Christmas Eve.  The temps didn't rise above 32F until after 11AM on Christmas Day.  The high temp was somewhere in the upper 30'sF.  I hope to never see that again.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Most nights the "under 32" was less than a few hours for me

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I don't know the duration for the previous nights (I was sleeping).  This morning when I got up at 5:15am the temp was 34.  At 6:40 it hit 32, but the sun was up and I'm pretty sure it went back up before 7.  However, I still found water frozen in the birdbath.  Short duration, but still plenty of stress on the plants.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

(Ray, Tampa @ Jan. 16 2007,07:06)

Roger,

In 1989, Tampa bottomed out at 24F and was below freezing starting at 4PM on Christmas Eve.  The temps didn't rise above 32F until after 11AM on Christmas Day.  The high temp was somewhere in the upper 30'sF.  I hope to never see that again.

Ray

Thats a long stretch below freezing. How did things fare in the months afterwards? How quickly did temps move back up? 1,2,3 days?

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

December of 1989 sucked even before the Christmas freeze.

December 1989 in Tampa

Ray,

Nice graph. So that ended up lasting the typical 1-3 days cold snap, just much colder than normal, then the dramatic jump back up in temps.

I remember it frying alot of stuff in the area, but don't remember it killing much. The two huge clumps of D. Lutescens in front at my folks, had the leaves burned, but after a few rains, had pushed out a bunch of new fronds, so they didn't suffer any long term damage.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Roger,

I've noticed that it's unusual for the worst cold snaps we get to last for more than 3 nights.  That said, three nights is bad enough.  I just posted this to give the folks in California some perspective. Unfortunately, mother nature gets us all at some point.  

Ray

I've noticed that it's unusual for the worst cold snaps we get to last for more than 3 nights.  That said, three nights is bad enough.  I just posted this to give the folks in California some perspective. Unfortunately, mother nature gets us all at some point.  

Ray

Yeah, but Ray I think the difference in Florida vs. California is that, in Florida, the event will last 2-3-days at most, but then the temps quickly rebound to 70's/60's and new growth can start and make up for the damage... where in SoCal, the temps are still relatively cold (60's/40's) so the plants may die from constant stress...... OR maybe they can take the cold snap better becuase they've been more prepared for it..... I guess time will tell.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Exactly Bobby, its that constant cold stress over time that I wonder which palms can take how much. I have only had about 4 very light frosts since '98' and by light, I mean maybe an hour if that, of cool enough temps to produce frost.  But on one of these cold snaps, where I had about two hours of around 32F, some of my more sensitive palms like Iriartea Deltoida, Hydriastele Kasesa, and Lemurophoenix Halleuxii, bit the dust. Granted these were very small and one was still a seedling in a one gal. pot, but they just couldn't take that much cold. The Iriartea Deltoida, had been in the ground for about 3 or 4 years and had weathered a couple other light frosts, with not even a burned leaf. All these were under canopy, not out in open.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude