IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Who wants to move

chris.oz

Nah.... I have been here for 15 years now and I am not dead yet (touch wood) :winkie: . Australia is not that far from Hawaii, you know.... only a few hours plane away.

Regards, Ari :)

I'm waay over due for a Bali trip... but with these airfare prices :o I need to save up for a while!

The ideal trip would be to stop by Oz afterwards...

If you ever want to visit Hawaii Ari, let me know :)

There are virtually no mossy palm trunks in Kaloko mauka (where we live)! :lol:

I need to go home too (my second home... Colin :winkie: ), maybe I go via Bali and catch up with you.... Better yet, I will go to my parents, drop the girls off and then fly to Bali to catch up with you... :lol::lol: . The last time I went to Bali was 2001, unless you call stop over at 2 am a visit. How sad was that!!

Hawaii actually sounds good at the moment, especially the way Australian dollar is, although airfares would be phenomenal too... Pity, I have 2 extra luggage...

That would be fun if we could hang out sometime :) My bahasa is getting really rusty... it would be nice if I could get some practice!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Nice "come back" attempts Angela, let's go to the third umpire on those ................................................................................

wait................ here it comes..............

NO TRY

20 metre tap

:lol:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Nice "come back" attempts Angela, let's go to the third umpire on those ................................................................................

NO TRY

20 metre tap

I was just havin' a little fun with ya :)

Wal, you should know that rugby references are not usually understood by the average American!

:blink::indifferent::bemused: So I guess my response to that is "huh?"

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

... not only makes it possible to grow something like (probably) 99% of all palms.

Come on Bo! You are exaggerating! Let's say 90% or 80% or less. There is no heaven on earth, and 80% is more than fine to live a happy palmy life :winkie:

What about the genera Brahea, Livistona, Copernicia, Juania, Ceroxylon, Pseudophoenix, Butia, Jubaea, rock-dwelling Coccothrinax, Medemia, Parajubaea, etc.?

What about fungi... on the long term?

Carlo

Wow... go away for a day and this thread triples in size! No plantings yet on our property, just some naturalized Archontophoenix Alexandrae (my avatar is from our property). However, we're going out for a week next month and plan to plant some of Bo's Clinostigmas..... really excited about that! I'll be sure to post pics from the trip.....

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Carlo,

OK, maybe 98%! :lol: Of the ones you mention, I havn't had the opportunity to try Juania. No reason to believe it wouldn't grow here. I tried Pseudophoenix, Jubaea, Medemia and Parajubaea and a few Ceroxylon species that didn't like it here (and they didn't make it). Ceroxylon amazonicum is fine and is a reasonably fast grower here. But that's less than TEN species that didn't make it. Livistona, Copernicia and Butia all thrive and every single Coccothrinax I've tried have grown just fine. But I havn't tried them all. Bought a few Brahea about a year ago, and so far, so good. But I acknowledge, there may be a few Brahea species that wouldn't like it here. But then again, I would have to try in order to find out. And I can add one more to your list: Maxburretia didn't make it, so that's one more species on the "Didn't make it in Leilani Estates" list. So, bottom line, maybe a dozen or so confirmed species on that list. That's about half a percent of all species, worldwide. And let's add a few Brahea species and a number of other miscellaneous ones that I havn't tried (anda handful that I may even have forgotten!), and we may still not get to 50 species. That's only 2%! But who's counting? :lol: I've never been concerned about the ones I can't grow here. I have my hands full with all the ones that THRIVE here, and whether that's 95% or 98% is really irrelevant! And yes, I'm definitely more than happy! And would be happy even with 80%...but keep in mind, most palm are rainforest palms and they ALL thrive here.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I will have to admit that I did have a Hawaii connection before starting to put down roots in Hilo, my Mom was born and raised in Honolulu. Hawaii has always felt like home to me. (tons of relatives on Oahu, lovable, estranged and deranged.)

Anyway, growing palms wasn't the motivation for the eventual move, it was the life style, culture, and of course the weather.

Now that the garden is getting started, palms are becoming more of a primary focus of life there, but not at the expense of making new friends, being a responsible citizen, and getting involved in the community, both palm and civic.

For you Aussies, at this point in time I don't think there is another place that I'd rather visit and get to experience more. From top to bottom, I find it all incredibly fascinating. I enjoy the photos and posts from Daryl, Ari, Wal, and the others which only adds to the knowledge and the desire to visit. Australia is a palm paradise as well.

It doesn't matter where you live, just be happy.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

NO TRY

20 metre tap

I was just havin' a little fun with ya :)

Wal, you should know that rugby references are not usually understood by the average American!

:blink::indifferent::bemused: So I guess my response to that is "huh?"

My reply was hilarious too, well I thought it was, I laughed. :)

Angela, I know you're a real trooper, and thanks for the banter, but this is an International site not an American one and as for fun, or taking the micky as opposed to taking the mikey, well, I've been accused of overdoing it, I suppose, but on the other hand, I'm posting something, as opposed to nothing or to taking the Mikey and unlike some people I know, who shall remain nameless like Kevin, Sam and Errol, bunch of fraidy cats, I was wondering when Bo was going to answer Carlo's fungi question and why isn't Dave planting his own Clinostigmas instead of Bo's ?

There Ange, I hope that's cleared up a few things. B)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal,

Ha ha, good one! :lol: Once Dave gets here next month, the Clinostigmas in question will be ALL HIS! And for Carlo's fungi question - I need a clarification on exactly what he's referring to before I can attempt a reply.

Bo-Göran

PS - Tim, I got a good laugh out of your "lovable, deranged and estranged" description! That might be a good way to describe many large families... :mrlooney:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

My reply was hilarious too, well I thought it was, I laughed. :)

Angela, I know you're a real trooper, and thanks for the banter, but this is an International site not an American one and as for fun, or taking the micky as opposed to taking the mikey, well, I've been accused of overdoing it, I suppose, but on the other hand, I'm posting something, as opposed to nothing or to taking the Mikey and unlike some people I know, who shall remain nameless like Kevin, Sam and Errol, bunch of fraidy cats, I was wondering when Bo was going to answer Carlo's fungi question and why isn't Dave planting his own Clinostigmas instead of Bo's ?

There Ange, I hope that's cleared up a few things. B)

:unsure:

Oh, I think you misunderstood me... I know this is an International site! I'm a xenophile and I hate how the whole world is becoming "Americanized" - how boring would that be! ? I'm not one of those Americans that expect everyone to speak their kind of English... so bring it on! Bring out the stubbies and the strine. (it's not too obvious that I was in "St" of an Aussie slang dictionary is it? I just hope strine isn't an offensive term... you know I'm just a sook)

But, if you are trying to poke fun at me poke.gif

it would have been nice if I could have at least understood the joke! Or hmmm... maybe you intended it to go over my head while the rest of the world laughs at me! :hmm:

:P:D:lol: :lol:

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Seems to me we're getting just a bit off topic here....so here are a few palms in Leilani Estates - about 150 ft away from this computer to be exact! :) A group of 12 year old Pigafetta elata. That's 12 years since germination. The palms must be around 65-70 ft tall now.

post-22-1213478668_thumb.jpg

I have been on the road for the week and did not catch this thread. It is interesting to say the least. When I was on approach to Manaus yesterday afternoon on the flight home I was impressed as I always am with the scene. I live in a city in the middle of the largest tropical forest in the world. There is no way you can invision this unless you see it. Every where you look out the window is a carpet of green. And, then you see the Negro River cutting a wide path through the jungle. The plane comes in on approach over the Ponta Negra beach area and into the airport over the forest which surrounds it. Palm trees are everywhere. Manaus is not a laid back city at all today, but a bustling metropolis of over 2 million. But, it remains the largest city in the middle of the laregst tropical forest, on the banks of the largest river in the world. That is enough for me. I guess home is where your heart is and mine is in the middle of Amazonia. Amazonia para sempre.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Too true, Don. For the moment, Darwin is my home and the more I get to know it, the better it is. Small town (great for raising children), laid back attitude and tropicals - so it fits our passion as tropical gardeners, and to top it all it has plenty of work to pay the bills. Well, I am good for now!! Can't ask for anything better at the moment....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Seems to me we're getting just a bit off topic here....so here are a few palms in Leilani Estates - about 150 ft away from this computer to be exact! :) A group of 12 year old Pigafetta elata. That's 12 years since germination. The palms must be around 65-70 ft tall now.

They sure grow fast but I just dont like the way they look....

Thanks for the pic :)

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

Graviton,

Welcome to the IPS Forum, and I'm glad to see you decided to add your first post & photo in this thread! What street are you on here in Leilani (trying to put a real name to your PalmTalk name... :) ).

Bo-Göran

One more palm related photo - for me, one of the most exciting and rewarding experiences wasn't just to plant palms (even though that was certainly pretty exciting in itself!), but the actual act of carving out an area of the rainforest and transform vision into reality, and then enjoy the subsequent growth. Getting rid of a lot of invasive species, and replacing them with palms was one of the most satisfying things I've ever done. Here's a shot that many of you will be familiar with: looking down our main driveway from our house. Our two little Maltese are doing their 2 o'clock patrol! :lol: And to think that, 12 years ago, there was not a single palm in sight here!

Hi Bo and everyone,

My name is David and our place is on Hookupu, N of Malama.

Gregg and Sharon introduced us, and your palm garden blew my mind!

Gave me a whole new idea about Leilani and what's possible there.

Which led me to a whole new PALM HOBBY... uh oh!

I especially like Dypsis palms (how unusual, right?) but I find them quite difficult to grow here in Orange.

(Except for two clumps of lutescens.) The relentless sun did in my poor leptocheilos, may it rest in peace.

After that, I rigged up little shade cloth tents over two lanceolatas, which look rather odd.

(But the palms are doing okay, so far.) Anyway, I'm really looking forward to being able to grow tropical palms in Leilani.

I already discovered the satisfying feeling of removing invasive princess plants from the rainforest.

Thanks,

David

Here is another young palm from your nursery that is taking care of itself there while I slave away here.

Can you tell what it is from this picture? I lost track of its name.

post-1082-1213645370_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing Clinotsigma?

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

It's probably one of those Phoenix that Bo likes to pawn off on unsuspecting newbies. :lol:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matty,

I'm disappointed in your declining ID skills! :lol:

And David,

Yes, that is indeed a Clinostigma samoense, and it appears to be doing great. And I remember when you came over here with Gregg and Sharon last year. Any plans for another visit? Let me know, and you're always welcome back for another garden tour. And I can show you a bunch of Dypsis! :)

Bo-Göran

Bo.......I'm diggin' those Pigs :) .........unbelievable growth rate.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

By the way, I can always say I live in Hawaii. Yes, it is only for 1 week every year at the Westin Kaanapali...but it's still home. :P

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

All this talk about the big island tonight got me pumped up for going back to Leilani Estates! I have not been all over the world but I have been to all the Hawaiin Islands except Molokai and I've been to Tahiti and Moorea and nowhere has had the same magic or charm as Leilani Estates! In fact the first time we went there 2 years ago I new I wanted to live there someday and we started looking at property over there. When we first bought our place next to Bo I bought some palms from Bo (his prices, variety and quality are awesome) and started digging into solid lava :blink: . I will never complain about digging holes in San Diego again :lol: . I decided to grow palms that either would'nt grow in Cali or were so slow that it is ridiculous. We were also blessed to buy a property that already was rich in companion plants Like many Ti's, Heliconia's, Gingers, Aroids, Bromeliads, Orchids and more. It's more than just a visual sensation. To walk around the block smelling the fragrances of flowers and to fall asleep listening to the sound of rain drops on your tin roof and Coqui frogs is priceless! To go back 6 months later to find every single palm you planted not only surviving but thriving is unbeleivable! The growth rate is so crazy coming from Cali you just have to laugh. We have some palm society members staying at our place in July and were going back the end of Aug. but except for that we are available if you would like to stay in paridise cheap. We are right next to Bo and he has been known to give a garden tour now and then :lol: . PM if interested.

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

For all you HI people, why is it there is so much moss on palm trunks? That would drive me nuts as it covers up so much color and character? I have not seen this in FL or Australia. Too much rain? Something related to HI? I have always been curious. CA has non-optimal weather. FL has LY. HI has moss. What's Australia's problem? Too fast of growth so your neck hurts looking up? :mrlooney:

Oh yeah, and the moss - it won't stop me from moving to HI down the road. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Len,

Any time you get 140-150 inches of rain a year in combination with high humidity, all sorts of stuff is going to grow like crazy! And that includes moss, which you will find plenty of here. Out in the forest next us it's a nice look on many of the tree trunks. I would prefer for it not be growing on the palm trunks, but it's not my decision to make. It's actually easy to peel off, and kind of fun to do. But with thousands of palms here, it's a bit beyond my ability. And the moss actually prefers certain palms. Maybe it's the texture of the trunk. Roystoneas seems to be one of the favorites!

Bo-Göran

For all you HI people, why is it there is so much moss on palm trunks? That would drive me nuts as it covers up so much color and character? I have not seen this in FL or Australia. Too much rain? Something related to HI? I have always been curious. CA has non-optimal weather. FL has LY. HI has moss. What's Australia's problem? Too fast of growth so your neck hurts looking up? :mrlooney:

Oh yeah, and the moss - it won't stop me from moving to HI down the road. :)

Australia's problem?? Which part are you refering to?

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Its good to hear that it still actually rains in other places on this planet.

But tell me Bo, in Leilani estates, does it rain equally day and night.?

My ideal would be to wake up each day, after a torrential down pour overnight, so I could go out in the garden and see the drips off the end of the leaves.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

No, definitely not equally. Even though we can certainly have days when it rains off and on all day long (like most other places), it's much more common to have dry days, with a bunch of clouds slowly passing overhead (but with no rain), and then beginning around 8 p.m. or so get scattered, but usually heavy, rain showers. And wake up in the morning seeing the ground and all the palm fronds wet, but the sun shining. That's exactly what I'm seeing right now, Friday morning at 6:50 a.m. A mostly clear blue sky, with raindrops still falling from some of the palm fronds, and the asphalt in front of the house is dark from recent showers.

wow... great description Bo.... wish I was there!

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Dave, well, you will be soon! :) Len's comment about the moss intrigued me so I went out to take a few photos.

First, our largest Bismarckia nobilis with about 13 ft of trunk. First photo shows the trunk with whatever moss was growing naturally on it. In the second photo I'm peeling it off (actually kind of fun!), and the third photo the (almost) clean trunk. The whole process took about a minute, so it's easy enough to get rid off. I should add that I only cleaned the part I was going to take a photo off. I'll be back for the rest another day...!

And don't get me wrong - I'd rather not have this stuff on my palm trunks!!

post-22-1214012639_thumb.jpg

post-22-1214012656_thumb.jpg

post-22-1214012673_thumb.jpg

Out in the forest it's a different story, and I love the look of the moss on many of the trees. Here are two photos, taken deep in the rainforest, but only a few minutes walk from our house.

post-22-1214012838_thumb.jpg

post-22-1214012854_thumb.jpg

And a final, "non-moss", photo of a group of Clinostigmas in front of our house, to show that many palms here have very little, if any, moss growing on the trunks. I believe it depends on the texture of the trunk AND the exposure to sunlight.

post-22-1214013015_thumb.jpg

Bo the reason I brought this up is when I visit I notice it. But also when I get plants from HI, they have the moss. Rancho Soledad Nursery brings in nice sized stuff and it always has moss. I got a real nice Burretiokentia from them. When I planted it I removed the moss and there was a nice, dark green trunk with brown rings. Totally made a difference.

So with the fact you live in the best palm growing area, it is also perfect for other plant life. I would certainly trade the moss and better growing environment to what we have here in SoCal! :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Bo, thanks for posting those awesome pics! I MISS IT MISS IT MISS IT :) ! Those Clinostigmas grow so fast the moss does'nt have a chance to take hold :lol: . I have to admit to cleaning moss off of my Lemurs because it was hiding the beautifull burgandy red colors underneath :mrlooney: .

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.