IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Iran Air Boeing 727 emergency landing Teheran

bgl

This Iran Air Boeing 727, a 37 year old aircraft, landed at Teheran Mehrabad Airport on Oct 18th without the nosewheel and the pilots managed to land the aircraft almost without a scratch. OK, there were probably a few, but this is as perfect as it gets. Many "normal" landings are probably rougher than this one!

Link:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

That is amazing! How did he keep the planes nose up even when it was on the runway so long?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Dean,

Interesting. Hadn't seen that video. But the difference, and a very important one, was that that plane actually DID have the nosegear extended, so the guy driving the truck was able to position the truck so that the nosegear ended up in the bed, with no place to go. My guess is that the pilots failed to get confirmation that the nosegear was actually in a locked position. It could have been, and it could just have been a malfunctioning control light in the cockpit! The Iran Air 727 failed to extend the nosegear so there would have been no way for a pickup track to "hook on' to anything. The nose of that 727 would simply have slid off the back of the truck, or worse, impaled the driver.

Matt, skill! Simple as that.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Nice special effects on that second video Dean! That first video is pretty amazing though...the pilot certainly earned his money that day!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Very cool.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I guess any landing where everyone walks off is a good landing :D That's some mighty fine piloting!

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

That pilot made it look easy.

All it took was the perfect balance of speed, till they were almost ready to stop all at once. For just a few seconds, you could convince yourself that the 727 was supposed to NOT have a nose wheel . . . . .

Wow. :blink:

Wonder how much damage was done to the fuselage?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

How do you take off without a nose wheel?!

They used that Pick Up truck to take off.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

:drool:

How do you take off without a nose wheel?!

Get someone really fat to sit in the tail section?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

My guess is that there was minimal damage, so after lifting up the nose they simply lowered the nosegear and checked it out. Landing without a nosegear - perfectly feasible. Taking off without one - NOT going to happen! :lol:

And yes, the ditching in the Hudson was a spectacular event but the only miracle was the fact that there were no boats in the way. A controlled ditching is a perfectly survivable accident and I am guessing that the pilots were somewhat embarrassed about their sudden "hero" status.

My guess is that there was minimal damage, so after lifting up the nose they simply lowered the nosegear and checked it out. Landing without a nosegear - perfectly feasible. Taking off without one - NOT going to happen! :lol:

And yes, the ditching in the Hudson was a spectacular event but the only miracle was the fact that there were no boats in the way. A controlled ditching is a perfectly survivable accident and I am guessing that the pilots were somewhat embarrassed about their sudden "hero" status.

Hmm.

No boats in the way, no land in the way, no cars, trucks or people, either.

And! Land nearby enough so rescue was plausible. Imagine ditching, say, midway between Hawaii and LA . . . .

Unless a ship happens to be nearby, well, say prayers!

Bo, dare I say you are making light of "the ditching in the Hudson"? I know I know nothing about aircraft, comparatively, but my dad and I were talking and we both agree it was not a ditching, nor a crash--that was a landing! :lol: Maybe not in the best of places, but when ya gotta go, ya gotta go! :D

Dave, there have been a few (very few) ditchings out in the middle of nowhere. Today it's extremely rare with very reliable engines these days, but years ago it did happen. On October 16, 1956, a Pan American Boeing Stratocruiser (a large four-engined propeller plane) was on its way from Honolulu to California. Lost power in engine #1 and #4 and couldn't maintain altitude. It flew to the location of USCGC Pontchartrain, a Coast Guard weather ship, and ditched nearby. Everybody survived, and was rescued, with only a few minor injuries. It appears as if the only casualties were 44 cases of live canaries in the cargo hold. All lost. Sad! :(

John, yes, I saw that video. There's bound to be considerably more damage to that 767 (with the engines underneath the wings) than to the 727. Could even have been structural damage, in which case the aircraft is unlikely to fly again. I'm sure they are inspecting it right now!

And Andrew, just ask any pilot and they will tell you that to mess up a controlled ditching on calm waters would be unforgiveable. Pilots are trained to do this. The engines on that A320 were STILL running when they hit the water, but only at about 20-25% of full power. That wasn't enough for them to maintain altitude but it was enough for them to be able to control the aircraft, all the way until they actually hit the water. Yes, it was a spectacular event, but the pilots did exactly what they were expected and trained to do. No surprises there. The media likes a good story, and that was a GREAT story. Simple as that.

Bo-Göran

Dave, there have been a few (very few) ditchings out in the middle of nowhere. Today it's extremely rare with very reliable engines these days, but years ago it did happen. On October 16, 1956, a Pan American Boeing Stratocruiser (a large four-engined propeller plane) was on its way from Honolulu to California. Lost power in engine #1 and #4 and couldn't maintain altitude. It flew to the location of USCGC Pontchartrain, a Coast Guard weather ship, and ditched nearby. Everybody survived, and was rescued, with only a few minor injuries. It appears as if the only casualties were 44 cases of live canaries in the cargo hold. All lost. Sad! :(

John, yes, I saw that video. There's bound to be considerably more damage to that 767 (with the engines underneath the wings) than to the 727. Could even have been structural damage, in which case the aircraft is unlikely to fly again. I'm sure they are inspecting it right now!

And Andrew, just ask any pilot and they will tell you that to mess up a controlled ditching on calm waters would be unforgiveable. Pilots are trained to do this. The engines on that A320 were STILL running when they hit the water, but only at about 20-25% of full power. That wasn't enough for them to maintain altitude but it was enough for them to be able to control the aircraft, all the way until they actually hit the water. Yes, it was a spectacular event, but the pilots did exactly what they were expected and trained to do. No surprises there. The media likes a good story, and that was a GREAT story. Simple as that.

Bo-Göran

A ship happened to be nearby . . .

Beats the fate of the infamous Comet . . .

Bet Boeing loved that Polish Video

"A ship happened to be nearby"...no, not exactly! After they declared an emergency they were directed to the location of the Coast Guard ship, and were able to make it there while descending, and once there, they ditched.

The Comets - completely different scenario. Structural failure. De Havilland initially designed the Comet with square windows. I.e. 90 degree angles at the corners. That proved to be too much stress on the fuselage, and tiny stress fractures from those corners eventually caused a massive structural failure, causing two Comets to crash, one in January 1954 and the other one in April 1954, ironically both off the coast of Italy. That resulted in the grounding of all Comets (not that many!) and a complete re-design, with rounded windows. And that's how all aircraft windows have been designed since. Somewhat rounded. Interestingly, three other Comets had crashed prior to these two, but for unrelated reasons.

And I used the expression "controlled ditching" because the pilots were in full control, both in the case of the A320 in Hudson and the Stratocruiser back in 1956. A scary example of an "uncontrolled ditching" happened right in your backyard, Dave. But I guess before you lived there. Well, technically this wasn't in any "yard". This was on January 13, 1969. An SAS DC-8-62 with a cockpit crew of three pilots was on approach to Runway 07R at LAX. In other words, approaching over the Pacific Ocean. While on approach, the crew failed to get a nosegear green light indication, and the captain asked the third pilot/flight engineer (who happens to be my female cousin's brother-in-law, but that's unrelated to the storyline! :mrlooney: ) to get down on the cockpit floor, open a little door (in the floor) and with a flashlight find out if the nosegear was extended. The approach was at 7 pm. It was dark. The third pilot couldn't determine whether the nosegear was really extended so he asked for the second pilot to join him. Which he did. Now: 1 pilot at the controls, and 2 on the floor. You guessed it - the two couldn't figure it out either so the captain joined them. Now: 0 pilots at the controls and 3 on the floor. This is generally not a good scenario when you're on short finals to LAX over water. Well, hey, makes no difference WHAT you happen to be over in this scenario! The aircraft, which wasn't that high up to begin with, descended a little faster than they had thought and the DC-8 ended up in the water, some 7 miles short of the runway. Broke in three pieces. Of 45 on board, including the crew, 15 were killed and 30 survived, some with injuries.

"A ship happened to be nearby"...no, not exactly! After they declared an emergency they were directed to the location of the Coast Guard ship, and were able to make it there while descending, and once there, they ditched.

The Comets - completely different scenario. Structural failure. De Havilland initially designed the Comet with square windows. I.e. 90 degree angles at the corners. That proved to be too much stress on the fuselage, and tiny stress fractures from those corners eventually caused a massive structural failure, causing two Comets to crash, one in January 1954 and the other one in April 1954, ironically both off the coast of Italy. That resulted in the grounding of all Comets (not that many!) and a complete re-design, with rounded windows. And that's how all aircraft windows have been designed since. Somewhat rounded. Interestingly, three other Comets had crashed prior to these two, but for unrelated reasons.

And I used the expression "controlled ditching" because the pilots were in full control, both in the case of the A320 in Hudson and the Stratocruiser back in 1956. A scary example of an "uncontrolled ditching" happened right in your backyard, Dave. But I guess before you lived there. Well, technically this wasn't in any "yard". This was on January 13, 1969. An SAS DC-8-62 with a cockpit crew of three pilots was on approach to Runway 07R at LAX. In other words, approaching over the Pacific Ocean. While on approach, the crew failed to get a nosegear green light indication, and the captain asked the third pilot/flight engineer (who happens to be my female cousin's brother-in-law, but that's unrelated to the storyline! :mrlooney: ) to get down on the cockpit floor, open a little door (in the floor) and with a flashlight find out if the nosegear was extended. The approach was at 7 pm. It was dark. The third pilot couldn't determine whether the nosegear was really extended so he asked for the second pilot to join him. Which he did. Now: 1 pilot at the controls, and 2 on the floor. You guessed it - the two couldn't figure it out either so the captain joined them. Now: 0 pilots at the controls and 3 on the floor. This is generally not a good scenario when you're on short finals to LAX over water. Well, hey, makes no difference WHAT you happen to be over in this scenario! The aircraft, which wasn't that high up to begin with, descended a little faster than they had thought and the DC-8 ended up in the water, some 7 miles short of the runway. Broke in three pieces. Of 45 on board, including the crew, 15 were killed and 30 survived, some with injuries.

Boy, Bo, some things never change. Sounds almost like a tradition among pilots . ..

That 1969 scenario sounds almost exactly like what happened to a nearly brand-new L-1011 in the Florida Everglades in the 1970s. Saw the dramatization. So similar, it's creepy. If memory serves, there was also no way for the crew to know that they were slowly sinking in altitude, away from city lights, till they hit the swamp.

(Why don't they have positive ways to tell if the gear really is extended? )

How many other accidents like that have there been?

Wait! Do I really want to know? Tell me, please that the party stopped back in 1990 . . . .

:blink::blink::unsure::unsure:

But, if not, tell me more, I'm sure you'll know.

red shoes and paper bag at the ready for an emergency ditching

Yes, Dave, do you REALLY want to know? :lol: Oh, just kidding. Things are actually pretty good these days. No, they are VERY good. From a safety point of view. And there was a party that stopped in 1990? I had no idea! I thought it was still in progress! Seems that way here on PalmTalk! :rolleyes:

Have a few other things to take care of right now, but I'll come up with something else later today. When it comes to aviation there's a never ending number of stories about fascinating events! And the people behind those events. Hmmm...sounds JUST like the International Palm Society! :lol:

Bo-Göran

Yes, Dave, do you REALLY want to know? :lol: Oh, just kidding. Things are actually pretty good these days. No, they are VERY good. From a safety point of view. And there was a party that stopped in 1990? I had no idea! I thought it was still in progress! Seems that way here on PalmTalk! :rolleyes:

Have a few other things to take care of right now, but I'll come up with something else later today. When it comes to aviation there's a never ending number of stories about fascinating events! And the people behind those events. Hmmm...sounds JUST like the International Palm Society! :lol:

Bo-Göran

You'd think they'd have found a way to make sure that landing gear were actually deployed and locked, even when indicator lights malfunction. That recent business in Poland and Iran shows that isn't the case.

That seems to be the key to the whole problem. Am I missing something?

I reallize that this sort of thing doesn't happen every day, but. . . .

The "party" reference . . . . just forget that . . . .